What's new

Reason why Star Wars delayed til 2006? Purists won't like it! (1 Viewer)

Andrew Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm... maybe there is a sequence in the coming films where the whole "Midichlorian" theory is proven wrong. Could be a major plot point. I hope.
There are some films we don't mind buying more than once. It's not so bad when they're released a few years apart, like Se7en. It's annoying when there's a SE six months after the initial DVD release. If Lucas is going to make a trucked-out version in 2006, great, give us the bare bones SE on DVD NOW! We'll all be MORE than happy to buy them again in FIVE YEARS. Cripes, think of the money you'll make to finance Episode III. And rest assured, you WILL sell every copy of the Ultimate Editions in 2006.
Let's be realistic. By 2006, we'll be ready for a new format, be it HDVD or whatever. Then Lucas will want to make them for the new format, but he'll want to wait until there's an installed customer base.
Then we kill him.
------------------
"I'd trade it all for a little more." - C. Montgomery Burns

AdrianOC

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't everybody taking for granted the fact that if someone hasn't seen all 6 movies and then sits down to watch them in order - how the hell are they going to know that Vader is actually Anakin?
Do we in fact know that this will be revealed in Episode 2/3. If not then the viewer might think that Anakin was killed by Kenobi, and this Vader guy shown in Ep4 is a new badass.
Just wondering....
------------------
"Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
(I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
My DVD List

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
Like the gentleman above, I never owner a LD player.
Also knowing that DVD, the format, was comming, I stopped buying VHS tapes in like 1995. I never even had the THX widescreen releases on VHS and certainly not the "Special Editions".
My only copy of Star Wars was a P&S box set from like 1990.
Today I cannot justify going back and buying these title on VHS either. The quality of DVD is just so far beyond VHS.
I, personally, would rather have a bare-bones release today with a full-fledged release in 2006. Otherwise I won't get to watch these movies again for another five years.
I'm not going to raise a mjor stink about it. I have a couple hundred other discs to watch between now and then, but it sure would be nice to be able to sit down and watch star wars in my HT.
-Alan

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
While Episodes 2 and 3 havent come out yet, to me it will always probally feel "right" to watch these films in the order they were released
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Do we in fact know that this will be revealed in Episode 2/3. If not then the viewer might think that Anakin was killed by Kenobi, and this Vader guy shown in Ep4 is a new badass.
Just wondering....
I think it will be revealed that Vader and Anakin are one in the same. What is important is that Luke doesn't know until ESB. Look at ANH, Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru know what happens to Anakin and
Spoiler:Owen and Beru are in Episode II.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I think it could still be clouded in mystery as to Vader's true identity. Owen and Beru only need to know that Anakin turned to the Dark Side. In fact even Obi Wan may not be considered to know until he meets with Vader in the Death Star and get's a sense of his aura or something.
The non-revelation of this situation seems very likely to me actually - especially considering the way Lucas is attempting to hide the Darth Sideous thing - he is treating his audience like they are not in the know which is cool. Not that you can actually expect the new watcher of the six SW movies not to already know who Luke's father really is.
Theo

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
In fact even Obi Wan may not be considered to know until he meets with Vader in the Death Star and get's a sense of his aura or something.
I don't think so. In ANH, Obi-Wan tells Luke that Vader killed his father. Look at the uneasy look that he gives Luke. This would indicate that he knew Anakin was Vader and was lying to Luke to protect him, which is confirmed in ROTJ.

Loring

Stunt Coordinator
I think what has been said recently is basically correct. Lucas is making the movies to follow one path. Episode One to Episode Six. So that is why many of the things are not reviled or explained in the beginning or the end.
Lucas is basically saying by this is, "anyone who seen the original trilogy is in the know and get to see what was only mentioned and ones who have not will have a complete story to follow and a few surprises along the way.
I do like how the DVDs are being released in order.
I just cant wait for October 16, 2001 and May 2002.
------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
~Loring
quote:Ye do not meddle in thee affairs of thy dragon, for thou art crunchy and taste good with thy katchup...

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
I think Lucas put in the Midichlorian stuff because too many were equating the Force to some kind of pseudo-religion. It was probably freaking him out, so he grounded it a bit by giving it a scientific explanation. I have a friend who actually thought the Force was a real phenomenon...

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
quote: I have a friend who actually thought the Force was a real phenomenon...[/quote]
I find your lack of faith, disturbing!
[Edited last by Brian Lawrence on September 13, 2001 at 02:07 PM]

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
Considering how verbose everyone gets on the whole Star Wars thing, I'm surprised that there's so little outcry about the whole 2006 delay.
Oh well, at least we'll have the complete LOTR well before that...

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
While I am happy to see that the TPM is going to be released next month, I would be much happier if we could have the OT sooner than five years from now. I would think that most fans feel the same way.
------------------
-Dwayne
"And vidi films I would."

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Richard, you're right that Obi Wan says Vader killed Luke's father. Of course at that time this was the truth as Star Wars wasn't Episode 4 of anything - just a one-off movie. Obi Wan must have known, though, I agree. I still reckon Owen and Beru probably won't.
Theo

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Remember that Obi-Wan told Luke in Jedi that he didn't really lie when he told Luke that Vader killed his father. Obi-Wan lost all hope of getting Anakin back, so, in effect, he was dead.
Anyways, my guess is that episode III will end around the time Luke and Leia are born, so that there will be a 15-20 year gap between the trilogies.

Mike Mallory

Agent
Of course, all of this would be a moot point if Lucas had opted to make episodes 7, 8 & 9, instead of 1, 2 & 3. I can only salivate at the thought of what might have been. The aging leader of the alliance (Mark Hamill, who now would look the part) and his offspring defending the galaxy against the next invading horde. All we have to look forward to now is more of the "backstory". And we all know what happens in the end.

CraigMc

Grip
If you want the story after Return of the Jedi, read Timothy Zahn's brilliant trilogy of books, "Heir to the Empire", "Dark Force Rising" and "The Last Command".
I consider these three to be episodes 7,8 and 9. Lucas will never do these episodes as movies himself, so it is as close as we'll come.
The books have an amazing Star Wars feel, brilliant storyline, dialogue and intriguing characters. Thrawn (the villain of the piece) is in my mind as much an authentic Star Wars villain as Darth Vader. He is one of the most enthralling and intriguing villains ever created.
If Lucas were to ever off-load the task of making episodes 7, 8 and 9 as movies I would salivate at seeing this trilogy made. They would translate into movies perfectly.
When I originally read the books, I could almost hear John Williams' score echoing in the background. They're that good.
Like any all-time favourite movie, I wish I could experience these books for the first time again.
I might just have to start reading em again tonight.
------------------
Craig McDonald

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'll second what Craig said about the Zahn books. At first I read every Star Wars novel that came out. Now the only ones I've kept are his trilogy and "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" (and that one's not so great; it's just that it was the first original SW novel...mine's pretty darn beat up & falling apart by now, though).
Anyway, here's a taste (quoted from Amazon.com): the first of Zahn's books:
Heir to the Empire
It's five years after Return of the Jedi: the Rebel Alliance has destroyed the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and the Emperor, and driven out the remnants of the old Imperial Starfleet to a distant corner of the galaxy. Princess Leia and Han Solo are married and expecting Jedi Twins. And Luke Skywalker has become the first in a long-awaited line of Jedi Knights. But thousand of light-years away, the last of the emperor's warlords has taken command of the shattered Imperial Fleet, readied it for war, and pointed it at the fragile heart of the new Republic. For this dark warrior has made two vital discoveries that could destroy everything the courageous men and women of the Rebel Alliance fought so hard to build.
Yes, this would be a great place to pick up #7, if it ever got made. I doubt that it will ever happen though.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks