What's new

Questions from someone entering into DV (1 Viewer)

peterac

Agent
Real Name
Peter
Hi all,

I am new to the digital video world and I wanted to get some good feedback on where I am and where I should go from here.

So here’s my background:

I have about 9 years of Hi8/Digital 8 tapes which I have done no editing on whatsoever. My son is now 9 and we now have an 8 month old baby girl. So, I am in the market for an HD Camcorder. I want to convert all of my tapes to digital so that I can edit them as well as my new digital video taken from my new camcorder. I have a copy of Sony Vegas Movie Studio & DVD Platinum which I received as a gift.

Here is what I'd like to know:

I’d like to know the best and most efficient way to convert my tapes to digital.

One of the main reasons I want to go digital is because I want to edit and create DVDs for family and friends. If I purchase an HD camera am I going to need an expensive burner that can rip high def disks? I have no clue about this. Also, if I burn a high def disk will it have to be Blue Ray or HD DVD? Will the people I give these to be able to watch them on a standard DVD player? How do I deal with the fact that not everyone has an HDTV or HD DVD player? I have an HDTV but not a high def player (we might get a Sony PS3).

I am in the market for a camera like the HV20 or HC7. I think I am leaning to a Sony. I have had good luck with their camcorders in the past. Unless there are benfits to getting a Canon because I am used to their D-SLR user interface.

Essentially, this will be a major change for me from simply popping in a tape and archiving the tapes into a box. I am computer literate so learning software will not be a problem.

Can I get some advice on workflow, compression, quality, etc?

Lastly, is there a place on the web I can go to learn the basics?

The more I know upfront the better off I will be.

Thanks!
Pete R.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

Unless you're going to burn DVD-ROMs to be played back only on computers, creating "HD" discs (with full resolution) for your family/friends will require the entire chain ("filming/recording", "editing", "burning", "playback") to be HD.

I would presume that for people who do not have HD disc playback systems, you will need to burn either standard DVD-Video discs, or DVD-ROM discs with "HD" content that computers with DVD drives can play back. If you are starting with a recording from a HD camcorder, you'll need to "downconvert" the resolution. I would think that some software or hardware packages could do this for you, although I don't know specific ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks