What's new

Question about scratched dvds (1 Viewer)

Josh LM

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased the second season of NYPD Blue on DVD, and when I took it out of the package, 2 of the discs were loose and quite scratched up. When I attempted to play the discs, they skipped around a lot, and were very unwatchable. My question is, In order to get the set replaced, is it better to return the dvds to the store where I bought them, or should I try to contact the company that made the DVDs (Fox I believe).

Buddy I

Agent
It's quicker to return it to the store. I had to return a Home Improvement season set last year because one of the disc spines broke and that disc skipped. They didn't question me, since they could see for themselves that the packaging was broken. I also contacted 20th Century Fox about a Reba collection and they told me to allow 1-2 weeks for a replacement after I sent in my copy. Take it to the store.

Mike Si

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Silver
Did you find that discs 1 and 2 were loose in your NYPD Blue boxset? I've tried four times to get a set without loose discs and every one of them has had disc 2 loose and three of them also had disc 1 loose. I've all but given up on getting a good copy of the set without scratches after returning it so many times...

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second that (about returning to the store), unless the studio will send the replacement discs before you send the faulty ones. (Which I thought was what Fox did.)

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan

I'm absolutely sick of this. This very serious problem has been so widespread since the beginning of the format, one wonders why on earth have studios not corrected it by now. Why won't they address this problem at all? What keeps them from adopting floater-proof and scratch-proof packaging? I mean, what's more important than ensuring that paying customers don't get damaged disks?

One really wonders why they're doing this. Is it out of gross incompetence and indifference? Or is it something else, like hoping people will buy several copies when they discover their disks won't play after the return window has expired.

Either way, I'm buying way less sets as a result.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
b4 i purchase any dvd or music, i shake it to see/hear if it is loose. if the disc is loose let the clerk know so that they can return it themselves.

pick a set that doesn't have it. Unless its impossible to check.

Also I have seen one person who actually paid for a set in front of the cashier opened it up to check on the discs b4 purchasing.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I will tolerate a slight scuff on a disc, but not scratched. I check my discs in the car while still in the parking lot. Any scratched discs and back in i go. If they give me any crap about, do they play, i ask them if they will play in 6 months, and to tell me in writing they would make good if they dont. That usually stops further problems from the return people. For my money, especially with box sets, i want MINT discs.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Yeah, this is true. You don't have the luxury of examining your box set before it's shipped to you when buying online. That's the only problem with the whole process, but the return system for Amazon.com for example, is pretty well set and workable. I've never yet had to return something I bought through Amazon, so I've had pretty good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks