What's new

PT-53WX42 question (1 Viewer)

Patrick N

Auditioning
Hi everyone. I just bought the Panasonic PT-53WX42. On the far left of the display, there are three pixel-thin vertical lines: red, green and blue. It almost looks like light seeping out of the left frame, but they're straight vertical lines, in that sequence.

I've noticed that they only seem to appear when I am watching an anamorphic disc on my progressive DVD player - not there on normal television, or on a widescreen non-anamorphic disc "zoomed" to fill the display. However, I'm not very technically minded and I might have just missed the lines' appearance during normal television.

My question is, does anybody know what these lines are, and should I return the TV while I still can?

I'm also concerned about killing the display, based on what I've read here. If somebody could point me to the "optimal" setting numbers for sharpness etc. to prolong the display I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick,

I recently bought a 53WX42 and am experiencing a similar problem. See this thread.

Have you noticed if this only happens when the set has been allowed to warm up? I'm having a tech come out (hopefully) this week and I'll let you know what they find.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

If you cannot correct it with service convergence, then you have to do a horizontal picture shift to hide it behind the left frame.

Regards

Patrick N

Auditioning
I guess I'll simply be returning the television. It's not a convergence problem, and only appears when watching an anamorphic DVD from my progressive player. But I don't want to risk getting the lines burned in...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Patrick,

Is it possible that your TV's Full mode has too little overscan or has the picture shifted to far to the right? Use AVIA to check. If it's much less than 5% on the problem side, then that might be it.

Mine didn't have this problem originally, but when I tried to reduce overscan in Zoom mode (to see if I could make the scan line gaps less noticeable), I started getting something like what you have for that mode. If your overscan is too low on that side of the picture, you might just be seeing some edge noise or something from your DVDs being displayed w/ the usual dose of convergence anomalies. Hard to say w/out seeing your set in person.

Anyway, I suggest checking overscan first to see if it might be too low. If yes, you could fix it yourself if you're handy. It could just be a matter of shifting the picture toward that side to fix/hide it -- afterall, that's what overscan is good for.

Of course, you could probably just return it for an exchange too.

_Man_

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I have the PT-53wx52 and my picture was shifted to the right. On some DVDs I would notice what looked like a little bit of light shining through the left side of the screen near the cabinet. I checked the centering with Avia and the image was shifted to the right. A quick fix in the service menu took care of it.

However, if you don't feel like messing in the service menu, just return it.

Patrick N

Auditioning
Bryan - it looks like I've got your previous problem. How do I correct it in the service menu?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
There is a setting in the service menu that is called HPOS (I think that's what the abbreviation was, it's been a few weeks since I've been in there). It will allow you to shift your image to the left or right.

The best place to get the detailed information on going into the service menu is at http://panny.tv

There are some manuals you can download and also instructions on getting into the service mode. The manuals don't specifically say they are for the PT-53 series you and I have, but from what I've done in the service menu, the information applies.

Before you go into the service menu though, get the Avia disc to check the centering and overscan. You should have about 5% on both sides. Mine was off quite a bit with the image shifted to the right. Once I went into the service menu and shifted the image back to the left, the light shining through on the left side was gone and a check with Avia showed I had nearly equal 5% overscan on both sides.

When you do go into the service menu, make sure you write down any values before you change them. That's VERY important. I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks