What's new

Problems with 'Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs' on my Toshiba 3107 (1 Viewer)

david cro

Agent
I'm having two small problems with 'Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs' on my Toshiba 3107, both are on disc one, the problems are:-
1. There is no sound, when the Gentleman introduces Barbra Streisand's rendition of 'Some Day My Prince Will Come'. It makes no difference whether I access this though the 'Special Features' or just letting the film run through the credits where it automatically follows.
2. My second problem is there is a glitch on the 'Disney DVD Pure Digital Magic' logo which immediately follows the 'THX' logo.
Can anyone confirm these problems or have I got a faulty disc.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Older Toshiba model DVD players have had lots of problems with recent Disney DVDs. My SD-2108 would not play either The Emperor's New Groove or 102 Dalmations correctly -- video freeze-ups and glitches. Others with the 2108 and 2107 confirmed the problems. Toshiba needs to develop a firmware upgrade for these (because it's sure Disney won't do anything about it). Last I checked they had not done so yet.
Looks like maybe Snow White is another problem one.
My interest waned when I replaced my Toshiba with a new Panasonic RP91 player a few months ago.

david cro

Agent
I accept that some older Toshiba players had problems, but the 3107 has never had any such problems, I have about 200 titles and never had a problem.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Disney has always felt their product is untouchable, and they can force the consumer to take it any way Disney chooses to present it. If that means the consumer has to buy new equipment to view Disney discs, then they'll just have to do it.
Disney feels their product is something people go out of their way to get, and charge a high premium for it, whether it be way over-priced discs ($35.00 for featureless discs of old LD masters) or those that have compatibility problems with older DVD players.
For the most part, unless I have a coupon or other significant discount, Disney DVDs will not be replacing the very good LD box sets I have collected over the years.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
In the last year, I've had problems with around 5 or 6 animated Disneys not playing or breaking up on my daughters' Samsung and they've been forced to watch them on my Panasonic.
Maybe it's a similar compatibility thing??!!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I checked out SW (that's Snow White not Star Wars!) this past weekend and had a problem as well. At 11:05 in the movie, the picture pixellized. After that 1 second freak out, the disc played fine for the rest of the movie. Just to be sure, I exchanged it for another copy and checked the same spot again. This time, no problems. BTW, I've got a 1.5 year-old Toshiba SD1600 and this is the very first disc I've had an issue with.
Ron

Aaron Ulmer

Agent
I've had the same problems with Disney discs. I'm a big Disney fan, and it's the primary reason I purchased a DVD player.
The only solution I could find was to purchase a new player. Neither Disney nor Toshiba was willing to do anything about the problem. One of the two of them are doing something a little out of compliance with the DVD standard, but I can't figure out who it is. Since I've I also had problems with Anchor Bay titles, I'm guessing it might be the Toshiba.
When I inquired about a firmware upgrade, I was informed by Toshiba that one did not exist for my player (2107).
Eventually I stuck it in the bedroom and picked up a Panasonic. Disney discs have been playing fine ever since.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
The 3107 statement that it worked with other disney dvd's may be accurate for you for some reason but for most Dinosaur and Emp New groove dosnt work on it. Same with 2108. Im glad i watch movies on my home theater system otherwise id be pissed off
capt

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
[sarcasm]
Wow, what a surprise that a Disney DVD would have glitches on a Toshiba player.
[/sarcasm]
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

Richard Ringenbach

Stunt Coordinator
I am having problems with SW on my Sony DVP S-3000 player,which never has given me a compatibility problem before and I have 600 + disks. I have tried 5 disks so far and every one of them gives me a superimposed sing-a-long verse of whistle while you work and the line O NO,NO,NO,NO, PUT THEM IN THE TUB. It seems like this is triggered by that phrase in chapter 10 because if I scan from the end of chapter 11 begining of chapter 12, where this occurs, to the end of this phrase in chapter 10 it doesn't occur,but if I go to the begining of this phrase in chapter 10 it will do it. I have repeated the process several times,and it does the same thing every time! It is something on the disk which is creating the problem! I am very angry about this because the rest of the movie looks great.I think the disk manufactures should proof their product before producing unplayable disks.Also if they would concentrate on the movie, instead of extras,on the disk that contains the movie,there might not be as many problems.
------------------

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
Richard, I'm getting the very same problem on my Sony S7000. Also, I get the Snow White menu superimposed in blue letters while viewing the movie (Chapter 1), and that's not good!
frown.gif
Yet, it plays flawlessly on my Pioneer DVL-919.
This is a shame, because "Snow White" is almost a perfect disc, if it wasn't for these strange glitches.

Adam Wolkoff

Auditioning
Data point:
plays flawlessly in my Tosh 5109.
Good thing, too...was a birthday present for my 4 yo daughter.
ASW

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks