What's new

Preferred way to wire 4 ohm DVC? (1 Viewer)

RayJK

Stunt Coordinator
Is the a more preferred way to wire up 2 sets of 4 ohm voice coils? Should it be paralleled voice coils and woofers wired in series or series voice coils and woofers wired in parallel? Or does it matter at all?

RayJK

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Brian, thats what I thought but sometimes them 'trons don't agree with common sense so I figured I better ask just to be sure.

Chris Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

I always thought that the preferred wiring scheme is 'coils in series, drivers in parallel.'

This is due to the interaction that occurs when two slightly different drivers are wired in series. Driver-to-driver variations and uneven loading can result in an induced voltage across the series connection, leading to distortion.

This is not a concern when wiring the voice coils of a single driver in series, as the coils are physically coupled.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
In this 2-driver set up.

The better way (I would think) is coils in series and woofers in parallel. For just the reasons Chris stated.
Don't know how much truth there is to his comment, but it certainly makes sense.

At least this way the difference are with the (two drivers) and not all 4 coils at once, if their is any. Rarely do 2 drivers measure exactly the same.

Like Chris said, someone else may be able to explain if this would be correct or not when wiring multi drivers with dual coils. Just makes common sense to me, if the load looked for is going to be the same in the end wired either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks