What's new

Please help me, upgrade-itis has struck again! (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I must be crazy. I just got an Onkyo TX-SR601 as an upgrade to my Panasonic SA-HE100 six months ago. Now I want to upgrade again to either a Harman/Kardon AVR525 or a Denon AVR3803. This will be my third AV receiver upgrade in a year. Am I nuts?

I like my SR601 but at times it sounds a little harsh with my Klipsch speakers. I also want the ability to add a separate power amp later on if I want.

Is this normal behavior or am I just a victim of the dreaded disease of upgrade-itis?

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Eventually your going to end up with seperates, so why postpone the inevitable! You are a very sick man and there is no cure on the horizon, although there are numerous support groups scattered around the internet.;)

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
This disease is inoperable. You cannot be helped. The best you can do is treat the symptoms. The most effective treatment so far is to jump up to separates at a high enough level that the next jump up is financially unfeasible. That is what I did and it is holding for the moment. But those cool tft screens look nice. Hmmmm, I wonder what Logic7 sounds like? Is it really that much better?......

Sigh. Hi. My name is David and I am a HT addict. I haven't upgraded any of my equipment in 2 months now.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well I currently own a Harman/Kardon reciever paired up with Klipsch speakers. I like the HK and it is never too harsh at all. the Logic7 feature is very nice and I think it sounds better than DPLII... just my opinion though.

I think the HK AVR-325 and HK AVR-525 are worth looking at, especially since they are deeply discounted at this point.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Dang, I have had my last upgrade for quite a while now, and have just now thought about upgrading, so I came on here to get some ideas. After reading a lot here and participating, I think I have decided to upgrade my video next. I don't currently have HDTV. I think that will give me the most bang for my buck. I'll probably stick to rear projection though, I would like to get one that really has the HDTV in it, and not just HDTV ready.

Back to the question, I think the Denon is such a screaming deal at two recent sources posted on these forums, that you almost have to do it. I am biased some, but I think that Denon can last you a long time, I still don't have the separates bug thank goodness. lol

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I just went to my local higher end retailer (that is higher end than Best Buy and Circuit City) and I got a chance to talk with the guy that I buy most of my stuff from. He likes the Denon but he thinks that it would be too bright with my Klipsch speakers. He advised to me a Yamaha RX-V1400 or an NAD T752. Getting my fix involves so many choices ;)

John S

Senior HTF Member
The Denon to bright?? That is a new one one me.. The Denon's are some fo the most laid back power amps period.
I don't get that one at all. That is the exact opposite of my experiences of the two lines, Yamaha and Denon that is.

I will be curious as to what you buy and how it works out.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Yamaha is known to be a very bright reciever, Denon more laid back, and Harman/Kardon is a more warm reciever which I think pair up very nicely with Klipsch speakers especially since they are already bright speakers to begin with.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
In the October Issue of DVD ETC magazine, Greg Robinson reviews the Denon AVR2803 and he says he found it to be on the bright side. I think I would go for the HK if nothing else for the way it looks.

KyleGS

Second Unit
H/K recievers sound absolutely great with high efficiency horns like those found in Klipsch. I've heard many Klipsch set-ups on H/K recievers and they have never disappointed...on Yammies and Sony ES receivers..not so nice IMO. The only experience I've had with Denon was on Def Tech spks. They were only slightly on the bright side of neutral, but I don't know much at all about the personalily of def techs. That's my only experience with Klipsch spks and Denon.

Side note: I've wanted Klipsh references (RF7's) for yrs. now but went DIY. My relatively efficient Adire HE12.1's + H/K = perfect for me. :)

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,

Don't listen to that salesmen you were talking to. Denon's sound is way more laid back then the Yammies. He sounds like he was pushing you toward something he sales or has a better profit margin on. Denon and Klipsch go well together as well as the HK. Also look for the Rotel Receiver or the 1066 pre/pro. They would pair well with Klipsch.

P.S. The HK's are not quite as reliable as the Denon's. Just my .02 worth.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Klipsch isn't exactly a power-starved speaker and this harshness that you're experiencing may be a result of unwanted room interactions which could be moderated by perhaps repostioning the speakers and focussing on treating first reflection points.
Nonetheless, it seems like you hadn't thought out matters very carefully with your first two receivers and perhaps you need to spend a bit more time figuring out what it is that you need/want. Stimulating the economy is fine but not at the price of constantly taking a financial beating. IMHO of course.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
Unless you are getting a full refund on the 601 to apply to the new receiver, it is probably not worth the upgrade at this time. While the Denon and HK are a step up from the 601, it is not that big a step, given the efficient speakers you have. I must say, some of these prices are very tempting. If the 3802 was that low last year, I might of ended up with that vs a 520. I upgraded from a Onkyo 575X to the HK520. I did notice some sonic improvements, but I have much more power hungry speakers. About 84db/watt. My advice would be to wait and plan out a purchase that you won't replace for 2-3 years.

JohnS

GregC

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe the receiver isn't the problem. Perhaps you should consider replacing the speakers with ones that are not quite as bright. Alternatively, try some room treatments (as mentioned previously) if the WAF will allow.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Good, God man, when will it end. You need to go to A/V annonymous. Upgrade now, and in six months you will find the need to upgrade to the latest and greatest again!:D However, it is YOUR money and if you can afford it....hey go for it. One would venture to ask, why didn't you just get what you wanted the first time out? And yes, you are sick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks