What's new

PILLOW TALK problems: Framing, freezing, etc. (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Tough to tell without the old one to compare it to. Nothing on the label side to distinguish, but here's the numbers on the inner ring on the shiny side:

(BB25084R1SP) J04F2929A

John Lloyd

Second Unit

I never got a response from the email address I was provided. I went ahead and just requested another envelope.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Received my replacement DVD today from Universal. Overall a quick turnaround of about 2 weeks from the day I returned the misframed DVD. Haven't had a chance to play the disc to confirm it is the corrected version, but comparing the DVD numbers to the ones provided by Randy_M it appears it is the new disc.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Resurrection..........

Has anyone purchased a new, fixed copy of "Pillow Talk" since Universal repaired the framing problems? Was just wondering if fixed copies have shown up in stores or on-line as yet.

Mark Hammon

Stunt Coordinator
On the 17th of July I received a Monty Python MEANING OF LIFE disc and called Universal (see my previous post). They told me that the PILLOW TALK DVDs were not done yet - Interesting since someone received their replacement two days later....

Anyway calling in September I was told that the PILLOW TALK DVDS had been shipped, and yet mine had not. I was told it would be shipped shortly. On October 14th the disc arrived. Considering I mailed it on July 3rd, and was told it would arrive in August, that's pretty poor service. I had to call twice in October to finally get my replacement! (I was told that it would ship on a certain date and then called back a week later when it had not arrived.)

Now that PILLOW TALK has been resolved what's up with the AIRPORT '75 replacement? Digital Bits had reported that Universal would look into it when PILLOW TALK had been resolved.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
But what I need to know is --- Has anyone bought Pillow Talk new (off the shelf or on-line) and gotten a fixed, properly-framed copy without having to mail in a defective copy to get a good one?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'm also still trying to find out the answer to that very same question, Ozzie. I won't re-purchase till that's confirmed.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
PILLOW TALK "FIXED OR NOT FIXED" UPDATE (03/26/2005)..........................

I took a chance and ordered "Pillow Talk" (new Anamorphic version that was released a year ago in April 2004) from DeepDiscount, and was quite saddened when I popped the disc in and saw that the framing was still "zoomed in" and crappy-looking (esp. many scenes where half of Rock Hudson's head is chopped off at the top of the screen, which is NOT the case in the properly-framed 1999 version from Universal).

So, it appears (almost a full year after Univ. said they were going to "fix" the framing/zoomed-in issues), that you still cannot buy a "fixed" copy (at least through DDD). :frowning:

Has anyone purchased a copy from Amazon recently that is FIXED? I'd appreciate knowing. If not, I might just give up the ship on this chase, and stick with the '99 version (it really doesn't look too terribly bad, even in non-anamorphic). The new version has a lot of grain and dirt still visible in the credits and the many "split-screen" scenes too (for some reason).

And this scene (shown below) really frosts me -- the unfixed newer [2004] version has TWO whole people completely cut off of the sides in this scene; plus everything else looks too "tight" as well. :frowning: :angry: :frowning: ..........

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
According to this weeks Coupons & Bargains update, this is being released again by Universal in another Doris Day/Rock Hudson set. Anyone pick it up and able to tell us if it's the corrected version or the screwed up one?

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Good question, Mark.

I was doubting whether this was actually a 'true' release, because there is no cover art at The Digital Bits' supposedly comprehensive new collection of cover art.

However, the release was indeed listed (alpha-numeric only) on the DVD Journal's release calendar.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I picked it up yesterday, but didn't have a chance to open it yet. Tonight or tomorrow I'll spin the discs and let you know if it's the corrected version on Pillow Talk, and if any of them have different/better/worse transfers. I'm hoping for a better transfer on Lover, Come Back. (But it'll probably be the same...)

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I just saw LOVER COME BACK at the Ohio Theater in Columbus last night. The print was pretty beat up and the sound levels varied reel to reel, but the color was good. It looked as if some sections were from dupe elements, and those shots or collection of shots seemed to pop up at random looking softer and murkier than the rest of the film.

I remember how awful the Laserdisc of LOVER COME BACK was, and I thought the DVD was a large improvement. I haven't looked at it in a while, but I hope they do improve on it if possible, and that they include the very funny trailer that was on the Laserdisc but missing from the DVD.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Okay, I can now confirm that Pillow Talk IS the corrected version. Properly framed.

I also believe these are new transfers (at least on LCB and SMNF), but I haven't done a side-by-side comparison yet. That'll be done this weekend. LCB is sharper than I remember the other DVD being. The color on both seems a little off, with skin tones a bit yellow. Not too bad at all, but I don't remember the earlier dvds looking that way. Anyway, I'll pull them out this weekend and compare.

And Chuck, the trailer is there for LCB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks