What's new

Petticoat Junction- "Official" 1st Season (1 Viewer)

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
Looking very much forward to this set as most of the episodes will be brand new to me! I have the MPI set and will keep that just for the extras and Linda Kaye Henning's intros. I'm sure they will make sure to digitally erase or cover up the sponsor logos in the end credits.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
Extras just announced include a 1990 Paul Henning interview, episode intros by both Pat Woodell and Linda Kaye Henning as well as interviews plus a photo gallery.

I'm really looking forward to seeing all the episodes, esp the later half of season 1, which will be brand new to me.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Since Henning's other series made it through unscathed (music sub wise), I'm hoping this set will also be intact when it's released in a couple of months. Seems logical that what was true for BEVERLY HILLBILLIES would be true for PETTICOAT JUNCTION, but who knows for absolute sure. I am looking forward to this set and keeping my fingers crossed that all will be well with the backscore.

Gary "can't hardly wait for this set to be released" O.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
I hadn't heard anything about the BH set until you mentioned it, Gary. So there were no music subs in that set at all? Those famous cues are very much a part of the show such as Elly May's sweet melody or the Commerce Bank's groovy little ditty.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I wish I could say for absolute certainty that there were zero music edits/subs in the set. But I can't say that for two reasons. First, I haven't had time to watch all the episodes. Second, I'm not so familiar with the show that I know literally every single cue from each episode. What I can say is that there were not the wholesale background score changes that we saw in THE FUGITIVE or MY THREE SONS. The original music is intact on that level. That was my point. There may be some radio or juke box scene where something was changed, but I doubt I'd pick up on that. But of the 4 episodes I watched last night, all the well known under scoring was intact. I'd say this is a solid set to pick up.

Gary "hope that helps" O.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
thanks Gary. While BH is a series I don't have plans on buying, it is good to hear some positive things about the release and hope that bodes well for PJ (which is a Holy Grail show for me).

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Just got an email from Amazon that my set is on the way and will be here by the 18th, WooHoo!!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
:D

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I sure am enjoying this release so far. Didn't realize Paul Brownstein was executive producer.

Happy to report that the scene in the Ladybugs episode, where the girls sing The Beatles song, "I Saw Her Standing There," was not cut.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Got my copy yesterday and watched a few episodes, inc. The Ladybugs episode. I too am glad they did not cut that scene. I enjoyed the interviews as well. I hope season 2 isn't fall behind.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
Opened my package this morning and watched the first 4 episodes back to back--it plays like a movie storyline wise. Nice to see the episode intros by Pat and Linda. Pat is so sultry! :D Linda has changed a little since the intros she did for the MPI set. I noticed how the end credits for the first episode changed the theme song from the original version (those who have the MPI set or saw it years ago on TV Land will know what I mean) and of course, no sponsor plug on the screen--so I take it the original 35 mm masters never had the sponsor plugs on them--just the 16 mm copies that the network made from the originals?

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know why Jeannine Riley didn't contribute anything to the set? I hope Gunilla Hutton and Lori Saunders can contribute to Season Three!

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
I have watched about 7-8 episodes, including the classic Cannonball Christmas episode--this set is WORTH EVERY PENNY!! Not a music expert, but everything seems to be the original music and cues. Only edits are the removal of sponsor placements on the end credits (which I believe were never part of the master films, so really nothing to remove). The picture looks great and the audio is nice too.

I have no idea why Jeannine Riley didn't contribute to this set--is she still in good health? Does she want any part of her PJ past remembered? I know her leaving was discussed on the MPI set.

for those of you who were waiting from reviews here to get the set--do not hesitate!! BUY IT TODAY AND HELP ASSURE SEASON 2'S ANNOUCEMENT!!

Dave_I

Auditioning
Real Name
David Isbell
I'm currently watching this set. There is an episode on disc four called "The Talent Contest". It appears that part of the contest, where somebody sings, was cut. Can anyone verify this?

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray

No, but I can verify that there is a similar moment in, I believe it's "Quick Hide the Railroad!" (part of the opening four-part storyline) where the cast is on a picnic and Roy Roberts is having a sentimental moment with Bea Benederet under a tree while others are singing off camera. On the Henning family's release you can hear them singing, but on the Paramount release Roy and Bea have their moment with no singing in the background.

I'm not complaining here. Actually, it shows that unlike some other music replacement instances, here Paramount is doing their best to give the public a quality product while keeping the legal department happy. There are two or three other singing moments in this same episode that are intact. Clearly, they are not throwing out all the music indiscriminately and no dialogue was removed in this instance, although a millisecond of footage was lifted to eliminate the glimpse of the others singing. I wish these episodes could be released intact, but this is a high-quality product with gorgeous prints and cast commercials. We need to stay viligent to make sure instances like the Fugitive don't happen again, but in this case, I'd say just enjoy the show and be grateful the seldom seen black and white episodes are finally back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks