What's new

Patch your iOS devices (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I like that Apple is patching iOS 6 too. I just updated both of our iPhone 3GS' which we use as iPods. Things like that are why Apple is first in class and Samsung/Google are not.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Clinton McClure said:
I like that Apple is patching iOS 6 too. I just updated both of our iPhone 3GS' which we use as iPods. Things like that are why Apple is first in class and Samsung/Google are not.
Ironically, my Samsung phone told me today it updated its security policy.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You're a braver user than I am. No way in hell are my OSes updating without my prior consent. I'm ok with App updates on their own but no way on any system. Windows, Unix, OSX, Mobile or Desktop. No freaking way. I've got my consoles set to pre-download patches but they don't update in the background which is allowed today. No thanks.Anyway, S4 is current model until April 11th. Kinda 'duh' if those aren't updated. iOS 6 covers launched 4+ years ago. That's the point, above.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
iOS 6 covers launched 4+ years ago. That's the point, above.
Actually, I was responding to the implication that Samsung/Google would never bother to apply security updates. The article you pointed to says there's also a flaw in IOS 7 that was addressed (ie the current one). So you're saying you don't want this patch?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Of course I do, but I patch on MY terms, not random download/install times.His post is about how far back Google / Samsumg will update devices. Which is pretty valid IMO. Whats the latest update a first or secong gen S gets? What about other vendors. See the difference that's being referenced?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Of course I do, but I patch on MY terms, not random download/install times.
I'm sure you and many other people found it a very difficult decision whether or not to maintain a security flaw.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Robert, I never meant to imply Samsung/Google wouldn't patch their current software. As Sam pointed out, I was alluding to Apple patching a security flaw in a last gen OS. In my experience, I don't see that much in the mobile world.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
RobertR said:
I'm sure you and many other people found it a very difficult decision whether or not to maintain a security flaw.
Of course not, but I choose to patch after I ensure I have my latest files backed up to both the cloud and locally and that I am not in the middle of something important. If you choose to bypass that, like I said you are braver than me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks