What's new

Orchestra Wives (1 Viewer)

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed on another thread (not the primary topic of that thread) that "Orchestra Wives" will be released on 1 November 05. This was a great movie from 1942, starring George Montomery, Ann Rutherford....and the FANTASTIC Glenn Miller band (including Glenn Miller himself, playing a character named Gene Morrison). The movie features Cesar Romero, dancing by the Nicholas Brothers, and some great Glenn Miller favorites: "Serenade in Blue," "At Last," and the 1942 Oscar nomination for Best Song "I've Got a Girl in Kalamazoo." If you're a Miller fan, you'll love this movie. As someone said in that other thread, hopefully "Sun Valley Serenade" (made in 1941) will soon be released, too. Great renditions of "Chattanooga Choo Choo,", "I Know Why," and "In The Mood" in that one. The musical numbers in both are top notch. I hope that some of the old 40's movies featuring the Harry Jammes band will be out one of these days, too. As far as I know, "Private Buckaroos" is the only DVD currently available that features his group (along with the Andrews Sisters). Not a great plot, but the music is super.

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for that incorrect spelling of Harry JAMES. Was typing too quickly and didn't proof read. Forgive me, Harry...wherever you are.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Wow, thanks for the bulletin, John! My dad got me hooked on Glenn Miller, and for that reason alone I will be checking this movie out.

From your description, however, it sounds like the rest of the movie is not to be missed, either.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I and Bart pearce remixed the songs for true stereo for the laserdisc version and I wonder if that wioll be used on the dvd. the specs say mono and stereo, but if this is a studio classic, it could be just one of those mono spread things.
BTW - the song is I've got a GAL (not girl) in Kalamazoo.

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator
Joe, you're right. It is "gal,", not "girl." I doubt that Tex Beneke ever made that mistake.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
What an eye-opening, pleasant thread to see. This is one of a few swing-era movies I must have on disc. Now looking forward to 1 November and a reasonably-permanent-format presentation of Glenn and the boys (including Jackie Gleason and Cesar Romero)... and the Wives.
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks