What's new

Optical Out on NetTop (1 Viewer)

zahne

Auditioning
Real Name
Ernie Zahn
Hi, first time poster. I just got a JVC RX-DV3 5.1 surround receiver/dvd player. It's my first surround sound set up and I'm knee deep in the process of backing up all my DVDs to hard drive along with my downloaded movies from itunes etc. I want to start moving into a computer based library for all of my audio and video. I was thinking of getting an Acer Revo which conveniently mounts on the back of lcd/led/plasma TVs out of sight. I have a wireless keyboard/mouse on the coffee table to control the library. It's an almost perfect set up. The downside, it only has HDMI out on the Acer. The JVC does not accept HDMI. I'd have to use the HDMI straight to the TV and I'll need some audio out to the reciever but the issue is that the only audio out is 2 channel and thus doesn't have any way of delivering 5.1 to the JVC. Is there a way to have an optical out adapter through the USB? My other idea was to get a PS3 because I want to stay in the $300 range and the PS3's just went down to that price. The issue here is that, it doesn't have miro and I can't watch hulu as far as I know. Any suggestions on a computer based library with optical out for not more than $300?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by zahne

Hi, first time poster. I just got a JVC RX-DV3 5.1 surround receiver/dvd player. It's my first surround sound set up and I'm knee deep in the process of backing up all my DVDs to hard drive along with my downloaded movies from itunes etc. I want to start moving into a computer based library for all of my audio and video.
Please be aware that, to the extent you are backing up copy-protected DVDs, this discussion violates HTF Rule 5, which provides, in pertinent part:

Quote:
5. Respect for copyrights. Home Theater Forum has a strict policy of respecting the rights of copyright holders. . . . We also do not allow discussion of (a) how to make unauthorized copies of video or audio materials, (b) how to defeat any form of copy protection (including, for example, how to make "personal" copies of commercially produced DVDs) . . . .
The complete text of this and the other HTF Rules can be found at the link in my signature.

zahne

Auditioning
Real Name
Ernie Zahn
Well, that's a minor detail. Many of them are from iTunes and legitlly acquired sites. That aside, is there a way to output for optical through USB?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks