What's new

"Open Your Eyes"("Vanilla Sky") DVD 8/21 (1 Viewer)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I checked a bunch of stores in the LA area (haven't tried Fry's or Best Buy yet) such as Laser Blazer and Dave's in Studio City and they all say that it's been "postponed." How weird-- it's as if a number of copies just squeaked by Artisan. I'll try ordering from DDD tomorrow, stock or not.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Something goofy is going on with this release. It took several attempts before finding one store with three copies. Other places were telling me it wasn't out or even listed. Weird.
I have written a review of the disc and will let you know when its posted.
------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
Most recent reviews: Diary of a Chambermaid: The Criterion Collection, Another Woman, September, Shadows and Fog, Alice, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Gray's Anatomy
Most recent column: Panning P&S

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I checked a bunch of stores in the LA area (haven't tried Fry's or Best Buy yet) such as Laser Blazer and Dave's in Studio City and they all say that it's been "postponed." How weird-- it's as if a number of copies just squeaked by Artisan
I bet that's exactly what it is. Empire and Express don't show this title as released, so I think that maybe Amazon (and a couple of B&M'ers) might have gotten shipments when the release date was still 8/21. Some suit probably thought it was a good idea to hold on to this movie until "Vanilla Sky" comes out. That may have been a last minute decision and that's why some retailers got their copies and others didn't. Go figure...

Christopher D

Second Unit
This is really strange. Got mine today from Deep Discount DVD, and the title wasn't listed in DVD Profiler at all when I went to enter it.
I never realized this title was making itself scarce -- I happened to be looking at its entry in the IMDB about three weeks ago and clicked the "DVD" icon, which took me to Amazon. I wanted to preorder it then since I thought it might be hard to find at the big retailers and didn't want to go driving around for it, so I checked on DDD, preordered it cheap and now voila!

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Has anyone had any luck getting a copy from Amazon? I placed an order soon after seeing this thread and it's been in 2-3 days status for nearly a week now. Where oh where can I find this in stock?!
Pieter
------------------
BoomRoom
"You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingist day of your life, even if you had an Electrified Fooling Machine."

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the R2 (Spain) release delivered by UPS, I'll watch it over the weekend if I get a chance and post a review for you all, just in case you want to compare.
Cheers...
------------------
Frank
frank.jpg

DVD Collection | Website

Christopher D

Second Unit
A couple of quick impressions. It's pretty bare bones, with no real special features at all. The picture generally looks very good and it is anamorphic, although the print has occasional specks here and there. The sound (Spanish Dolby 2.0 only) was a little low (I needed to turn my amplifier up a bit) but on first listen seemed otherwise OK. I'm not an audio expert, but I was curious enough to check on another player whether the sound level might be low enough to suggest that there's a problem that might account for the delays. Through headphones on my portable, though, the level seemed roughly comparable to other titles.
[Edited last by Christopher D on August 25, 2001 at 05:53 PM]

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Stopping into the Manhattan Beach/Hawthorne Best Buy, I was surprised to find this there (they had 2 other copies at $15.99, FYI). Lazer Blazer and Dave's both said that the title had been delayed.
Picture looks gorgeous-- I was afraid Artisan was just going to dump this with one of their awful fullscreen "catalog" transfers, but the image looks great. Too bad the DVD of "Tesis" is so cruddy.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I was on vacation this last week so I was not sure I would be able to find this release. I also was not able to get online to see this thread and read about possible delays. I did check a variety of stores in Colorado and was unsuccessful in finding it. When I got back to California on Saturday I made a trip to Best Buy. No luck there. Taking a trip to the mall I decided to check the Suncoast store there. Sure enough I was able to get their last copy. So, while I cannot describe the quality of the disc just yet, I can confirm that it has indeed been released.
------------------
"Wait a minute. Was she a great big fat person?"
My DVD Collection

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
FYI, my girlfriend works at Best Buy and she snagged one of the three copies of "Open Your Eyes" that were on the floor there. I'm real tempted to watch it by myself tomorrow, but I think I'm gonna hold off and save it for next weekend's movie-night. If anyone in the Redlands/Loma Linda area of CA is interested in watching this awesome film with us, see my link in HTF Meets at http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000266.html
Pieter
------------------
BoomRoom
"You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingist day of your life, even if you had an Electrified Fooling Machine."
[Edited last by PS Nystrom on August 27, 2001 at 02:48 AM]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My Amazon order, from last Monday, has changed from 1-2 days to 1-2 weeks. I now have an anticipated delivery date of Sept. 6-19.
Bummer!

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
my order for "open your eyes" shipped tuesday the 21st last week it still has not arrived though. Maybe next time with ddd i will not use the free shipping. Hopefully it shows up in today's mail.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
For all of you who've seen the film, what's the name of the song (or at least the artist) that's playing when Cesar picks up his mask off the floor in the nightclub (it's the defining image in the film of the two-masked face)? I'm thinking it might be the Sneaker Pimps (who are mentioned in the end credits), but am not sure.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, I canceled my Amazon order and went to the local BB and they had 3 copies of it (now 2).
My initial impressions are in line with everyone else.
Video: decent anamorphic transfer - not reference, but certainly not bad (watching it on my new 47" 16x9)
Audio: passable 2.0 mix
Extras: non-existant (nearly)
But for $15.99, it wasn't a bad deal at all.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
My Copy finally arrived today and WOW! I can't reccomend this movie highly enuff!!!!!!!!!! truly engrossing from beginning to end. It's the type of movie after its over your saying to yourself i gotta watch that again asap! as for the quality of the picture its pretty good nothing spectacular but a nice presentation nonetheless. sound woulda been nice to have a 5.1 mix for the terrific score but again the 2.0 fairs pretty well. If Cameron Crow's Vanilla Sky comes close to Alejandro Amenábar's vision your talking best picture nomination, the material is that damn good.
well i'll close with RUN and get yourself a copy of this fantastic film. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks