What's new

On the Beach (1959) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Such a powerful movie, almost as potent as the novel.
I re-read the novel only a few months ago and had a few sleepless nights thereafter, wondering how it would be to get up each day knowing the world we knew was drawing to a close .. along with all its tragedies and achievements, all negated.
A close friend of mine named Neil Jillett interviewed Ava Gardner when she was here in Melbourne making the movie. In his interview in our leading newspaper 'The Age', he wrote that Ava did seem to feel that Melbourne was the perfect place in which to make a film about the end of the world.
He was -- still is -- intensely annoyed to find that quote is always attributed to Ava, and not to him!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Nothing much ever happened in sleepy old Melbourne and then one day Hollywood arrived and the City was instantly turned on it's head.
I was working for UA in Melbourne at the time and I remember there was an astonishing amount of thrills and excitement around this normally staid old town.
Thousands of locals applied or showed up to be extras.
Newspapers reported where the stars were sleeping and eating, plus all the filming details as well as filming locations every day.
It was front page news back then.

Unfortunately my UA connections failed miserably when it came to my getting work as an extra.
It's a magical period that I'll never forget. I think Melbourne finally came of age at that moment in time.

Oh yes, and thankfully the movie turned out to be a bit of alright as well.

I doubt that I'll let this blu-ray pass me by.

Doug.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I know the movie was released in '58, Doug, but was it shot in that year or in '57?
I was still at school (did Matric in '61) but remember the buzz really well. How exciting it was.... the biggest event since the '56 Olympics!
Yes, it's a compulsory purchase for all Melbournians of a 'certain' age......

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
AnthonyClarke said:
I know the movie was released in '58, Doug, but was it shot in that year or in '57?
I was still at school (did Matric in '61) but remember the buzz really well. How exciting it was.... the biggest event since the '56 Olympics!
Yes, it's a compulsory purchase for all Melbournians of a 'certain' age......
In regards to your question Anthony.

"On The Beach" was filmed from January until April in 1959.
It's World Premiere was December 17th 1959.

otb1.jpg

wow! Cinerama Holiday was on next door.
otb4.jpg

otb3.jpg
]

ps. Silly of me to forget Melbourne's 1956 Olympics. thanks for the reminder Anthony.

Doug.

Fritzl Dog

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
I was introduced to this movie in a college social ethics course, studying the effects the nuclear arms race had on peoples' psyches. The position the US/Soviets took with MAD, or mutually assured destruction, with their respective nuclear arsenals, had everybody on edge. The portrayal of denial, with some citizens believing that the prospect of an atomic holocaust was unfathomable, or, the deadly aftermath of radiation poisoning from the atmosphere, are exemplified by Gregory Peck's character Dwight Towers, the US submarine commander, and by Donna Anderson's performance as the young Aussie mother & wife to an Australian naval officer, portrayed by Anthony Perkins. Along with Ava Gardner, there's a scene-stealing performance by Fred Astaire as a scientist(egghead), proof positive that the gentleman could act as well as dance. This is one of two Stanley Kramer films that I've eagerly awaited on BD, the other being "Judgment At Nuremburg".
Thanks,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks