What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

*** Official SUNSHINE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Boyle and Garland routinely explore genre films; so of course this is full of familiar elements, just as 28 Days Later had many familiar elements from the zombie genre. But they try to do something new and interesting with each genre they explore. My respect for Sunshine has grown with successive viewings, because I think they managed to create a sci-fi film with more deeply drawn characters than just about any other example I can remember. As always, YMMV.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

I think the intent of the Pinbacker character was quite clear, especially given the context of the movie. Raving, lunatic religious zealot tries to stop crew from reconstituting the sun...that says it all.

Don't get me wrong: I loved the film (a lot, actually). But the one-dimensional motivation for Pinbacker clearly only works for a certain segment of the audience, and creates a wedge for another segment of the audience.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
That's how I read it. I enjoyed the film quite a bit, though I think the transition into the final act is not as well executed as it could have been. This will eventually make it into my collection and get some repeat viewings.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It's interesting that no one concerned about the film's supposedly anti-religious bias wants to talk about Searle, who, by sacrificing himself for his fellow astronauts -- and, by extension, for the rest of humanity -- engages in the most overtly christian (even Christ-like) behavior in the film.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
After listening to some of the score (fricking FINALLY), and reading this, got anxious to rewatch it. So I did.

Holds up very well. I agree with Michael about Pinbacker. He's simply the flipside of Searle.

It's very well-constructed. I think it's a visual feast. Not in the "CG all over the screen", but in the directorial choices and the conceptual material. I don't love all of it, but I certainly love most of it. And this has one of the best scores of 2007.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I only saw the film once. For my part the confused last 1/3 plus the devolution into a tired slasher flick just made me focus on what I thought was bad and ignore what might have been good. I also have to admit that I missed the connection that you have pointed out here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks