What's new

Official DVD ETC. review request thread -- request equipment reviews here! (1 Viewer)

Clint Walker

Stunt Coordinator
:tu: Some great products suggested here for the head-to-head...we have talked about getting into the head-to-head "business" here for a while...it's a tough route to go unless we have several writers in on the review--a panel of sorts. We'll keep you posted. We've been waiting for the Anthem for about 4-months now...and B&K hasn't responded to a single query. We have CES in a couple of short weeks...we expect to put a few of these manufacturers in a cholk-hold to get what we want!

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, Anthem has promised us multiple delivery dates for the AVM20 across the past six months. The problem is that all of you on the forums have talked this processor up so much across the past couple of months, they must sell every piece they can make, leaving none for us! :D
I also am interested in the new REF 50, as well as the upcoming Parsound Halo Processor.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Jason,

Nothing to do with your post and completely off topic, but your link was tres cool. :D That cat is now bookmarked and will be visited regularly.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Dana,
LOL, well actually my host crashed last week so I lost my entire site. I just put up that cat until I can get everything back in order. If you think that is cool, wait until everything is back up. ;)

But yeah back on topic...

Any chance of getting the Klipsch RF-7's reviewed or any of the Klipsch reference line?

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg R
Jason - you'll be happy to learn that I'm currently in talks with several manufacturers, rounding up several projectors in the price bracket you mentioned. If there are specific models you'd like to see reviewed, post them here and we'll do the best we can.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Greg.

The one that I'm really interested in right now is the NEC HT1000. The 3000:1 contrast really is an eye grabber. It is right in the $5000 range.

I personally have the NEC LT150 which I got a year ago when it was all the rage. It has performed flawlessly, so I wouldn't mind seeing how the newer models perform.

Another good budget one might be Sharp's PG-M20X.

Brae

Supporting Actor
How about in-depth reviews of the Denon 3803, Pioneer Elite 45TX, and similar manufacture list AVRs that fall into the $1000-1500 range for those of us upgrading to real equipment?

Yes, my first receiver was from a HTIB (receiver sold separately for $325). My current receiver MSRP's at $1400. I suppose in about 5 years I'll be ready for something more serious (in price).

DavidDon

Stunt Coordinator
When you guys do a review on a relatively small piece of hardware, have you ever considered having more than one person on your staff review it? Kind of like the Outdoor Life Network's "Gear Guide" show. They'll get three of their people to try something, and rate it. Often they have different opinions, but usually they find unique aspects they like.

Just a thought.

Hugh

Auditioning
Clint Walker -
and B&K hasn't responded to a single query.
If your queries were in e-mail form, don't expect a response anytime soon ... if ever. I'm not sure what their problem is, but they almost NEVER reply to e-mail.
If you call them however, they will answer any and all questions ... and grab an engineer to talk to you if necessary ... etc.
From everything I've heard and experienced, they have great customer service in that regard ... but its like they don't even own a computer considering their e-mail issues :D

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
From what I understand, B&K has been in the midst of changing PR companies. When this happens, there is always a period of lag time before proper communication can be established. We plan to talk to B&K at CES about their products.

Steve T

Stunt Coordinator
Although it is not actually a hometheater component, I would like to see a review for the new NAD C320BEE. The C320BEE is truly an exceptional integrated amp for the money, and can be used in conjuction with a hometheater system no problem. I do.

Steve

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Kenwood's mid-range dvd players. I picked up a dv-6050 last month after searching for print reviews and online comments. I found neither and I would have killed for a review before plucking down the cash.

By the way, I'm enjoying the magazine and got a kick out of the Klingon Star Trek review.
:)

Best regards,
~~Nathan

Robley

Grip
I would love to see a review on the Sony dvp-cx875p. I am considering this and haven't even been able to see it as no one seems to have one in stock.

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
The McIntosh MVP851 DVD player is in for review. The DVD ETC. gang is off to CES to look for interesting and new gear.:D

DavidDon

Stunt Coordinator
I know you have addressed the head to head issue already, but another suggestion along those lines is a big screen round-up.

I am in this confusing market, and am having a difficult time sorting through the various display types (RPTV (DLP & CRT), LCD, Plasma, and then all the kinds on front projectors.

Because my size is in the 60" area, I seem to be at a crossover point of these various configurations. Actually seeing these products in stores is much more difficult than it should be since many known good products are visibly not calibrated, not to mention source material and connections are unknown.

I have considered the 65" Hitachi CRT RPTV, now Samsung has a 60" DLP RPTV. Plasmas are at this size now (albeit very expensive), and it is on the small side of front projectors (which I am not too serious about because my room has ambient light and will be used for “kid” viewing at times…unless, of course, the brightness issues have been overcome). My primary objective is a great DVD movie experience and HDTV.

Even an article addressing this scenario and not specific products would probably be of benefit.

By the way, you guys have been great! Thanks for previous responses and a fantastic mag. You’re the first A/V kind of publication I have ever subscribed to. Keep up the good work.

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
David, not to throw in some more confusion to your choices, but LCOS RPTVs are now becoming available, and the picture quality I saw on some units at CES looked quite promising with excellent black levels. Philips is coming out with 44" and 54" models at $3500 and $4K, and these looked about 8" deep. Toshiba has a higher end one at 9K that does true 1080i. LCD panels are now in the 52" range also (not LCD RPTV). If you want a rear projection set it will be less than plasma, and I would take a look at LCOS and DLP in comparison to the larger CRT RPTVs. Plasmas at the 60" price point are still quite pricey, but the Zenith is probably the least expensive. It has recently been equipped with a Faroudja based scaler chip so this may be worth looking at. We are getting in the Marantz 50" plasma for review, and will also probably be doing the new Fujitsu and Philips units. Remember, choice is always good....;)

DavidDon

Stunt Coordinator
Gee...Thanks! Too much good news!?

I still have a gazillion questions though, and many in your audience must be in the same boat I am. My main question is: aside from front projector, which one of these will yield the best picture regardless of price? I am sure it is tough to answer, but my point is that it is tough for the average consumer (me) to get the straight scoop from local retailers. It is even tough to get a good view of the products to judge for yourself.

As long as you guys do not fall into the trap of praising every new item you review, you will still have credibility, at least with me. (Although your editor's fondness for British cars leaves him questionable)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks