What's new

***Official Blu-Ray Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Who's to say that CBS won't do HDTV this fall because of the broadcast flag causing HDTV to die :rolleyes? (Hopefully kidding)
I rephrase my question what you think Sony will do and what you want them to do for audio on pre-recorded Blu-Ray if it comes out. Considering the amount of money involved I believe Sony will do it's best to get pre-recorded content on Blu-Ray as quickly as possible. Just to ask Johnny but what audio standard do you like best, DTS or Dolby Digital?

David Judah

Screenwriter
Well, between just the two, I would hope for DTS,

since it can go lossless, but if that's the case then why not just use hi-rez PCM packed with MLP.

DJ

David Judah

Screenwriter
Few have the tools for DSD, Craig--it's still almost exclusively a PCM world. Of course, that could change by the time HD-DVD comes to market.

DJ

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
I'm just thinking of their new high end receiver. It'd be a neat way of pushing SACD along although I guess it would alienate most of the other DVD manufacturers if an SACD track was compulsory.
This thread is about speculation ;)

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Personally, I'm foramat agnostic, although I usually stick to the DD soundtrack where both exist. This probably comes from the time when there were no easy to find DTS test tones around and I never knew if my channels were balanced or not in DTS.

I'm curious to know what the Blu-Ray spec says about audio anyway? It may say nothing at all if Blu-Ray is little more than an optical drive standard.

Mike Mundt

Stunt Coordinator
anybody know a good website with info about blue laser dvd? I did a web search and came up with a bunch of articles that included info about what its storage capacity will be and thats about it. I know the sony blu-ray can record up to 1080i. But im lookin for info on the formats capabilities, not a particular recorder. Like stuff like if its gonna be capable of 1080p, what kind of audio capabilities are we talking about. What kind of sampling rates? Thanks in advance;)

Jay Blair

Second Unit
It's coming, but unfortunately so is HD-DVD supported by the DVD Forum. It's shaping up to be a VHS/Beta format war, which is bad news for everyone.

I was in the Good Guys last week talking about DVI/HDMI DVD players with a salesman and he told me that DVI was dead because Blu-Ray was going to use HDMI. I told him that Blue-Ray would be coming next year at the earliest. He then informed me that the JVC sales rep assured him that Blu-Ray would be released in August this year in the US. I then told him there was no way this was going to happen that fast. He assured me it was. I then pulled out my billfold with over $100 in it and told him I would bet him everything in my billfold it wouldn't happen by the end of this year in the USA. Bottomline, he just snarled at me and refused to take the bet.

If any HD players are going to be released by JVC in August, it will be for WMV9, the Microsoft-backed format that does HD quality using a better compression codec and the current red lasers instead of blue.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I don't think any true HD-DVD or blue-ray players will be released in the USA for at least 2-3 years and even longer before there will be any significant HD-DVD titles available anyway!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Blu-ray will arrive in the U.S. market late this year. The HD-DVD format, however, still has some basics to be determined (what kind of audio codec, for example?). Conventional wisdom has it that HD-DVD will arrive in the U.S. sometime in 2006.

And, FYI: This topic has been discussed ad nauseum here (usually in the Software section). Blu-ray is not news to HTF.

Finally, I see the two formats coexisting. My bet is that Blu-ray primarily will be a recording format with little in the way of prerecorded material for sale to the public (meaning hardly any studio support). Its HD-DVD that you will want to monitor closely for home-theater purposes.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
According to this CNET article, Sony is now planning on coming out with TWO types of high-density discs.
One is a "professional" disc for data storage. Then there is the "consumer-oriented Blu-ray disc that is made mostly of paper" (!!!).
Does this mean that all Blu-Ray discs will be made mostly of paper?????? Or just some?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Brian:
It might be better to state it as:
Blu-ray has defined encryption, and HD-DVD hasn't :)
I have it from more than 1 source that HD-DVD isn't going to be released without encryption :D
Cheers,

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Brian:
It might be better to state it as:
Blu-ray has defined encryption, and HD-DVD hasn't :)
I have it from more than 1 source that HD-DVD isn't going to be released without encryption :D
Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks