What's new

New York Doll - beware of edited version! (1 Viewer)

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
For those interested in this excellent documentary, please be aware that there are two versions available.

The theatrical version is available through traditional outlets, while an edited version is available from Mormon bookstores. A few swear words have been excised.

If you typically do you shopping in Mormon bookstores, make sure you get the one you want. The edited version has a small explanatory note on the back of the DVD case.

MatthewHA

Grip
I am very interested in seeing New York Doll. I missed it during its short run in my area.

Does the editing stick to strickly cutting out the profanity, or is there any other content taken out? I can live with a few F-bombs being taken out, but if it is at the expense of continuity and dialogue, perhaps I would go out of my way to get the unedited.

However, I NEVER buy vidoes from such places as Deseret Book. The prices there are ridiculous, and videos never drop below the $20 level. If I was to pick up New York Doll, it will be for $10 or possibly $15.

In other words, I will would rather pay less at a traditional outlet for an unedited copy---anyway, I am not into edited films at all.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The film without edited language is PG-13, with no f-words to speak of. As far as I recall, the deleted language is of much less severe, Back to the Future type stuff.

From what I understand, the director was barely willing to let the language edits happen, and when the LDS distributor suggested a statement/quote on the front of the DVD art selling the film as a pro-missionary conversion story he refused to go along.

MatthewHA

Grip
If the producer/director refused to go along with that manipulative plot, good for him. I do not believe for one moment that the distributor was thinking of pro-missionary opportunities (as if missionaries and members are going to show the DVD to investigators!)--rather, they are thinking of $ales and marketing strategies from the LDS demographic. I will definately forego the edited version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks