1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

new sony WEGA how do i use 16x9 mode?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Nathan Smith, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith Active Member

super happy with my new sony... one lil thing though...

how do i use 16x9 enhanced mode... i go into setup and turn it on and it looks GREAT ... BUT its smooshs the picture

so i cruise around the net and find u need to use an anamorphic dvd... i popped one in and 16x9 mode still juz squishes the picture..

do i need to use component imput [using s-vid till i get some cables]

or do i need a progressive scan dvd player?

2. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Well-Known Member

Hey Nathan,

Congrats on the WEGA...couldn't have picked a better set (imho).

To answer your question, any standard broadcasts or cable images (ie. non-hdtv) will look squished since they're meant to be viewed 4:3.

As for the DVD...go into the setup of the DVD player itself and tell it that you're using a 16:9 ratio TV. You didn't list which model TV you've got, but it most likely has DRC, which will make most images look great (after it's been worn in a bit and tweaked with Avia or VE). If your player has component video outs...definitely use those. If you can afford it, a progressive scan player like the Denon DVD-900 would be an awesome addition...but it's not critical at this point.

DVDs that are anamorphic will require using the 16:9 enhanced mode. If you look at an older movie like my old True Lies that is non-anamorphic (formatted in letterbox directly on the disc)then make sure the 16:9 is off.

Have fun with the new goods [​IMG]

3. Nathan Smith

thank u so much for ur answers [​IMG] very helpfull

btw

i got the kv-32fs100.. and it was only 599.00 OMG [​IMG] i luv sales at frys electronics!

"tweaked with Avia or VE" what are these? setup dvds?

thanks for the answers [​IMG]

i plan to DIY my own component cables soon too...

4. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Well-Known Member

Avia and Video Essentials DVDs are setup DVDs. They allow you to do a basic callibration on the set to get all the color levels, brightness, sharpness, etc. set properly. You definitely want one. Another good basic one is Sound & Vision, made by the mag of the same name.

5. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Well-Known Member

Hey Nathan,

Ronn couldn't have said it better. If you do a search on these names in the forum you'll get tons of info. I use Avia myself. Got it from Amazon.com, but there are lots of online resources. It's still best to wait a month or so to allow the picture tube to wear in some. The picture will change to one degree or another during that time. After that, it's a good idea to give it a calibration checkup every few months.

If you plan to get into surround sound, one of these setup DVDs will help you there too, providing test patterns and instruction for calibrating a full surround package. Avia has a great 20-30 minute tutorial at the beginning for hometheater beginners.

Hope you know what you've gotten yourself into.[​IMG]

6. Nathan Smith

lol im already into it [​IMG]

iv been into surround sound for awile now... the tv was kinda the last part i added oddly

im going to be shure and pickup one of those DVDs thx guyz

my humble setup in my 10x9 bedroom lol

Sony WEGA KS-32fs100
    Kenwood VR-505 [soon Denon 2803 hopfully]
    Fluance AV-HTB surround package
    Computer at the center of it all
    watercooled AMD beast [​IMG] w/ radeon 9700
    ill get a dvd player soon for now my pc's dvd player will work

7. James Davis

James Davis Active Member

Chuckster has some very good tips about tweaking Wegas, if you aren't afraid of getting in the service menu. I adjusted the oversqueeze in 16x9 mode(note: asp1, not asp on my kv27fs100), and turned off red push(axpl^ and axnt^) but didn't adjust the numbers of red. Using Avia it looks like my reds are now between 5-0% over, not bad [​IMG]

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/ (check specific brand tips)

Here are the two I used.
    http://www.users.muohio.edu/corsilcj/oversqueeze.htm (for fixing oversqueeze)
    http://www.users.muohio.edu/corsilcj....htm?KeohiHDTV (for adjusting red)

8. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Well-Known Member

James, thanks for the links!

Now if only I could find the tweak that turned on the hidden HDTV capabilities and the function for it to clean my cat's litterbox I'd be set!