What's new

new receiver and help deciding... (1 Viewer)

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I currently have the Pioneer VSX-23TXH and looking to upgrade it. I will move it to a secondary room and buy new for my home theater. I am looking at last year’s model Pioneer SC-55 and this year’s model SC-67.
The question I have is; is there a big enough difference in the 55 vs. the 67 to pay the higher amount for the 67 or would the 55 give me pretty much the same features? I will be running 9.1 with 2 zones. Zone 1 is 9.1 in my theater room pushing these speakers:
SubW: JL Audio f112-GLOSS (12" / 1500W)
Front Surrounds: Klipsch KL-7800-THX (150W)
Center: Klipsch KL-6504-THX (150W)
Side Surounds: KS-7502-THX (60W)
Rears: KS-7502-THX (60W)
Zone 2 will be outdoor speakers for my deck.
I was thinking of going with the Denon AVR-3313CI, but have eliminated that. Any guidance would be great! Thanks

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Thanks. I'm trying to find out more about the Zone 4 HDMI feature the 67 has. Is it fully active wtih using another zone and can it be independently controlled on what source it is using vs the like zone 1. If it can be that is a huge selling point for me.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You could answer the question by reading the manual...
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-67

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
schan1269 said:
I did read the manual and it is not exact in the area I'm talking about. In general I do a lot fo research prior to posting questions on forms. Thanks
As other "zones" on receivers work, the Zone 4 on the SC-67 is an HDMI connection, thus it would think this zone would have the ability to be active and have its own selected source while zone 1 is active and using HDMI out 1 & 2 as needed.
I hope I'm right since it would be a costly mistake if it doesn't not work as I'm thinking.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just read the manual as well. The HDMI "switcheroo" is actually easy to follow(I've been doing AV since before there was even surround sound and receivers didn't handle video yet)...
There are 3 HDMI outs. 1 and 2 and Zone 4.
1 and 2 have to show the same thing...if both are used at the same time. Lets say you have a living room and kitchen side by side...
You can set up a TV and "stereo" in the kitchen. HDMI 2 is "limited" to stereo playback only(as far as I read).
Zone 4 can do a DIFFERENT video signal and audio from HDMI 1/2. It can ONLY do HDMI though. The audio can be off the HDMI.
So, your Zone 4 could be another AV receiver...feeding a TV...but the Zone 4 is also held to two channel only(as far as I read).
It also appears, that if HDMI 1 and 2 and Zone 4 are all set to the SAME source...you are limited to 2 channel audio in all three places.
But if HDMI 1 and 2 are doing one thing, zone 4 something else...then HDMI 1 can still be 5.1.
The only thing I have yet to discover is if HDMI upconversion applies to Zone 4.
Edits:
It appears as if HDMI upconversion works for Zone 4(even in trouble shooting there is no mention of it not working, so, if you want to play a VHS to Zone 4, it appears you can do so)
It appears that HDMI 1 and 2 are "both" 5.1. However, if you "needed" HDMI 2 to "be 5.1", you would have to connect an additional receiver after the fact and turn on HDMI audio(but it would render the internal audio useless on HDMI 1, as it would send the audio on into the TV and not do anything with it...outdoor theater on HDMI 2???)
Lastly...if Zone 4 is doing the same as HDMI 1/2, then you are stuck with 2 channel audio...cause the audio is "dumbed down" for Zone 4...which means it is dumbed down for the main zone.
In the "curious department"...the "networked/bluetooth audio" etc. It appears that Zone 2 and Zone 3 can't play nice together. If you Airplay on Zone 2, Zone 3 doesn't have access to ANY of the "network/bluetooth/Airplay" at the same time...(head scratcher)

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Your years of experience with A/V show! I did read the manual, but just couldn’t understand what it was saying about this, as you can. I admit I’m a novice with A/V, and that’s why I’m thankful for forums like this and users like you. Thanks again for explaining it in a way I can understand.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Additional insight about HDMI 1/2.
Most people that buy a receiver that has twin HDMI out do so because they have a projector and a plasma/LCD in the same room.
If you were to do it that way(which is probably 95% of the set-up out there), you would never have to switch the HDMI AUDIO to "through" (HDMI audio through means the receiver does nothing with it, it is for those nights you want to watch the evening news without having to listen to the receiver).
But, lets say you are one of those people who would like an outdoor theater(there are people that do)...send HDMI 2 to another receiver(perhaps your old one???) that has HDMI and run it as normal where the 2nd receiver is connected like the SC67 is "just another playback device". (basically meaning the SC67 is nothing more than a bridge between the BD player and the outdoor stuff).
So, you can do either one. Zone 4 is cool if you need to host big parties and want the football game on in 3 places...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks