What's new

New amp or better speakers? (1 Viewer)

BrianRS

Stunt Coordinator
I have HTD level III towers, center, and level III mains for surrounds, all powered by a Denon 3802. Also, I have a SVS PB2+ in the corner. It sounds pretty good to me, but always looking to improve. Would it be more worthwhile to buy a multichannel amp or do I need to upgrade to better speakers?

John S

Senior HTF Member
If you love the speakers, better amp(s) for sure.

If you think you can better the sound of the speakers in general go speakers.

I take it you messed around with different bass management settings and such?

Maybe a better way to answer this is by asking you what do you want to improve specifically?

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Could try a three channel amp, or three monoblocs for front array. Demo/borrow first though.

mackie

Supporting Actor
Go to a few dealers and listen to different brands of speakers to see if there's something that you like better. It won't cost you a dime and will be a lot of fun, but be very careful that's where you catch the upgrade bug.

Depending on speakers and listening habits, amps can improve the presentation of sound but it won't change the overall voicing or "sound" of the speaker. If you've got fairly sensitive speakers, use a sub, and don't get crazy loud, adding an amp probably won't make much of a difference if any.

If you're looking for a different sound, then adding an amp won't do it either. If you're looking for better defined bass and want to play your music and DVDs louder without distortion then go for the amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks