What's new

Netflix's New Distribution Centers? (1 Viewer)

Andy_S

Second Unit
Apparently Netflix has distribution centers around the country. Their web site doesn't mention where they are so I thought we can get a pretty good idea of where they are if whoever has a current Netflix subscription posts here with where they live (using largest nearest city. ie Chicago for people who live in northern Illinois) and where the returned DVD is going. I'll go first:

Me: Chicago, IL

Netflix return movie: Duluth, GA

Butch C

Second Unit
I live in NY and I thought I was still sending my movies back to San Jose! Ill check tonight

Jason Borchers

Second Unit
Mine: West Sacramento, CA

... which is about a 45-minute drive away. They usually get my returns the day after I mail them.

I had it pretty good back when San Jose was the only center, but this is even better!

Gary Stevens

Auditioning
For the Boston area my return center is Worcester, MA.

Here was this week's turnaround:

Into mailbox (with 1PM pickup) Monday 5/6 in Somerville, MA.

"We've Received . ." email sent Tuesday morning.

"We've Shipped . ." email sent Tuesday afternoon.

New DVD in my hands Wednesday morning.

Not bad at all!

-Gary

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I said in the previous Netflix thread that my distribution center is in Braintree MA, because I'd read an article about Netflix in the Washington Post that said a new center had opened there recently. Putting 2 and 2 together (this info + the vastly improved turnaround time), I presumed it was in fact Braintree.

But my return envelopes do say "Worcester MA" (which is a good bit further away from Boston than Braintree), so I'm guessing the Post had it wrong.

Still and all, the improvement has been immense!

Matthew_S

Second Unit
great idea for a post! i cancelled awhile back due to the long delays. I live in North Carolina and was sending my discs to san jose, talk about stupid. does anyone live near north carolina here? Any distribution centers around here? I might renew also....

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
I live in Highlands Ranch, CO which is sort of a suburb of Denver.

Netflix just opened a center in Denver and it's taking 1 day for movies to get to my house.

Outstanding! Am very happy with Netflix even more now.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I found an item on the new Mass. center Link Removed, dated March 18.
NetFlix.com the online DVD rental service based in Silicon Valley, quietly opened a distribution center in Worcester last month. It's great news for Boston-area NetFlix subscribers who previously had been mailing DVDs back and forth to the company's primary distribution center in San Jose, which ate a few days on both ends. Service is much snappier now.
NetFlix filed for an IPO earlier this month, so the company wouldn't comment officially on the new site due to the SEC's mandatory quiet period.
But word is that two more East Coast distribution centers are on the way, in New York and Maryland. More than 500,000 people pay NetFlix a monthly subscription fee — for example, $19.95 to have three DVDs out at a time.

Andy_S

Second Unit
BTW, I just looked at some movies that I received a while back (about 3 weeks ago) and they all go to San Jose. the only one that didn't was a new release I got last week. These new locations must be fairly new. At least the one in Duluth is.
the company wouldn't comment officially on the new site due to the SEC's mandatory quiet period.
That explains why we can't find anything official on this. I bet they're chomping at the bit to get this info out. Long turn-around times was the #1 complaint from people on the east coast. And that's a huge market.

I live in North Carolina, and the two movies that arrived from NetFlix this week both have return envelopes with Santa Ana addresses. You would think they'd choose a closer distribution center for my location ...

Kevin

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
That brings up an interesting point on how they will handle things. For example, let's say you live in NC. The nearest center is Duluth, GA. But the #1 movie in your queue is only available from San Jose. Do you wait until they have it in Duluth or does it ship from San Jose. Also, will each DVD have to go back to the same center it came from or could you, or they, have you return it to the closest one, even if it came from the furthest one. A lot of things to consider. Also, do they already have or plan to have the same catalog of movies at each center. Sure they could have less copies of each title due to load balancing, but the list should include the same number of titles.

EricMa

Grip
Well, I have a new one. I just received a disc with the return of Flushing, NY. I have yet to see this, as previous discs have been San Jose.

BTW, 3 days from the Chicagoland area to San Jose is my norm. That has been giving me a very consistant 6 to 7 day turn-around.

Andy_S

Second Unit
Samuel,

I used to get a DVD 3 days after they said it shipped. Lately it's taken longer but I have a feeling it has to do with the new centers opening up. They're not going to be running perfectly right out of the gate. I'm sure there are some bugs that need to be worked out of the new facilities.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Netflix just opened a center in Denver and it's taking 1 day for movies to get to my house.
!!!! That probably makes me one day, or two days at the most. I think I may be trying them again. They pissed me off beyond belief about two years ago and I dumped them.

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
I've also noticed as of last Monday, 5/6, that they have been shipping new releases a day prior to street date, before they shipped late in the day of release.
bodymov'n :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks