What's new

Need to know about Ford MyTouch and Sync with iPhone (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
schan1269 said:
Carplay has been in aftermarket for a year now.

Buy a car with an easily replaceable head unit.

That is my only rub with "infotainment" from the factory. You have, essentially...no options.

I hate how on the 2015 Forester...I have zero options the day it tanks...
I considered that approach: Get a used Civic and install the aftermarket Pioneer stereo head with CarPlay. But, in short, I don't want to. The cars I like and that best suit my household needs -- Accords and Fusions -- have integrated 'infotainment' electronics that aren't well replaced by aftermarket options.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DaveF said:
I considered that approach: Get a used Civic and install the aftermarket Pioneer stereo head with CarPlay. But, in short, I don't want to. The cars I like and that best suit my household needs -- Accords and Fusions -- have integrated 'infotainment' electronics that aren't well replaced by aftermarket options.
In which case...

Certified used X3* w/o the "tech package".

*Or, egad...a rare-bird 3 series wagon...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
schan1269 said:
Speaking of which...

CPO BMW(has its own site) lists...exactly 1 stick shift 3 series wagon...

1900 miles away...$34,000...
BMW of Sterling. That's next door to my Honda dealer, where I go for service (part of the same corporate group).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DaveF said:
BMW of Sterling. It's about 20 minutes from here.
Not, unfortunately, in the market. I looked at the A3 when I bought the Forester. My issue is the roads around here are gravel. Sub uses aluminum almost exclusively. BMW does not(undercarriage).

A3 wasn't AWD (how stupid is that?).

In snow, as far as AWD goes, nothing beats an AUDI or Subaru(automatic/CVT) on winter tires. Nothing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
schan1269 said:
Not, unfortunately, in the market. I looked at the A3 when I bought the Forester. My issue is the roads around here are gravel. Sub uses aluminum almost exclusively. BMW does not(undercarriage).

A3 wasn't AWD (how stupid is that?).

In snow, as far as AWD goes, nothing beats an AUDI or Subaru(automatic/CVT) on winter tires. Nothing.
I test drove an Audi in Rochester on snowpacked roads. I was impressed.

But the price...and so I have the Accord I'm currently driving.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DaveF said:
I test drove an Audi in Rochester on snowpacked roads. I was impressed.

But the price...and so I have the Accord I'm currently driving.
Rochester, fun times. Like Minnesota...women tend know how to stay warm...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DaveF said:
Ron

What prompted the change from Cadillac to Lincoln? (I've never owned either brand, and only know them from 30+ years ago when they were old-folks cars :) )

Some reasons...

Got tired of the Cadillac brand. Been in a Caddy for 10 years now.

The Lincoln dealer is in walking distance, as opposed to the Cadillac dealer being a little bit of a drive.

I rented a Lincoln when in Washington last year visiting Adam. Liked the way it drove.

Adam bought a Lincoln MKZ this year and he absolutely loves it.

Most of all (and probably my main reason for switching), this vehicle has a ultra-powerful 19-speaker Revel sound system that is AMAZING. Blows every single car system away.

The Lincoln is miles ahead of a Cadillac in overall drive experience. It's like riding a cloud. It's incredible. I like the ride even better than the BMW X3 I rented a few months ago when I drove to Canada. By the way, the BMW X3 was another choice of mine to lease.

Yeah, Cadillac and Lincoln used to be Senior Citizen brands. However, that has changed. The cars are more stylish and fun to drive.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
We just bought a new Accord for my wife been pretty pleased although I don't drive it as I love my BMW. I have a 2013 BMW 328i xDrive (m-series). It has been a super car and handles great in the snow. I will say unlike the Audi A4 (which was my other consideration) it is rear wheel biased vs. front wheel biased for its all wheel drive. Too me just made it feel more sporty. Of coarse that could also be the sports transmission. I did get the tech package which gives you heads up display which I think they should have on all cars. You may think it is a gimmick until you drive with it for a couple months then drive a car without it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DavidMiller said:
I did get the tech package which gives you heads up display which I think they should have on all cars. You may think it is a gimmick until you drive with it for a couple months then drive a car without it.

Heads up display. That's what sorely missing from a lot of vehicles.

I wanted one with the Lincoln. Sadly, not offered. The heads up display was the attraction point for considering a X3 (which I almost leased instead of the Lincoln).

To hold me over, I preordered a NAVDY. Won't be available until December.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ronald Epstein said:
Some reasons...

Got tired of the Cadillac brand. Been in a Caddy for 10 years now.

The Lincoln dealer is in walking distance, as opposed to the Cadillac dealer being a little bit of a drive.

I rented a Lincoln when in Washington last year visiting Adam. Liked the way it drove.

Adam bought a Lincoln MKZ this year and he absolutely loves it.

Most of all (and probably my main reason for switching), this vehicle has a ultra-powerful 19-speaker Revel sound system that is AMAZING. Blows every single car system away.

The Lincoln is miles ahead of a Cadillac in overall drive experience. It's like riding a cloud. It's incredible. I like the ride even better than the BMW X3 I rented a few months ago when I drove to Canada. By the way, the BMW X3 was another choice of mine to lease.

Yeah, Cadillac and Lincoln used to be Senior Citizen brands. However, that has changed. The cars are more stylish and fun to drive.
The stereo could have sold the car to me five years ago. Not today, alas. The driving sounds great. I like a car that feels responsive, but I'm now wanting more isolation from the bumps and rumble of road noise.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
DavidMiller said:
We just bought a new Accord for my wife been pretty pleased although I don't drive it as I love my BMW. I have a 2013 BMW 328i xDrive (m-series). It has been a super car and handles great in the snow. I will say unlike the Audi A4 (which was my other consideration) it is rear wheel biased vs. front wheel biased for its all wheel drive. Too me just made it feel more sporty. Of coarse that could also be the sports transmission. I did get the tech package which gives you heads up display which I think they should have on all cars. You may think it is a gimmick until you drive with it for a couple months then drive a car without it.
What's maintenance on the BMW compared to the Honda? The couple friends who owned BMWs had a love-hate relationship: loved driving, hating the upkeep costs. Reading Consumer Reports, they love the driving experience and features of the BMW, but mark it mediocre of reliability. And my couple days with an X3 was fun.

I'm tempted by BMW. But I don't think I'm a driving enthusiast enough to really want to live with its particular balance of strengths and weaknesses.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DaveF said:
The stereo could have sold the car to me five years ago. Not today, alas. The driving sounds great. I like a car that feels responsive, but I'm now wanting more isolation from the bumps and rumble of road noise.

You should drive a Lincoln. Ultra smooth ride and very quiet interior.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ronald Epstein said:
You should drive a Lincoln. Ultra smooth ride and very quiet interior.
Lincoln has the Matthew McConnaughy ads? I've been intrigued by the redesigned Lincoln models. Time allowing, I'll do a test drive. Practically, they start at the top of my car budget. I'm trying to exercise some restraint, lest I talk myself into the BMW i3 or a loaded Cadillac :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, Dave, I kind of thought you were trying to restrain yourself. However, once you mentioned BMW, I thought to myself, try a Lincoln as well.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Last time I shopped, I test drove an RX8. So I'll try to have a little fun, even if I don't buy that much fun :)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
DaveF said:
Last time I shopped, I test drove an RX8. So I'll try to have a little fun, even if I don't buy that much fun :)
You want fun?

12604523133_664c6e2d2e_c.jpg

It doesn't do Bluetooth. It doesn't have cupholders - you are supposed to be DRIVING not drinking. It doesn't even have a glove box. But as a driving machine it's very fun. You can't even talk on the phone with the top down, which is the "normal" driving configuration.

Car & Driver considers the Boxster as the best car. Period.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2014-10best-cars-feature-2014-porsche-boxster-cayman-page-7

And you can get early models for cheap money....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.