What's new

Need help planning my trip to LA in a week please... (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
So I'm heading out to LA for about a week (2/25-3/4). I will be staying in Beverly Hills for the entire stay. Five nights at the Century Plaza and 3 nights at the Sofitel.

I want to do all of the standard tourist stuff (studio tours, TV tapings, Getty Museum, Disney Concert Hall) and I know I will need to rent a car to get around.

But is there anything, close to BH, that I won't need a car to get to? Are taxi's easy to come by in LA? I just don't want to spend $22/day in valet parking fees. =P

Any hints on how to get VIP treatment at the tours, Concerty Hall, Getty?

Any comedy clubs that I need to checkout?

Thanks!

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
My favorite places to go were:

1. Hollywood (specifically the Sunset Strip and Hollywood Blvd). Go see a movie at the Chinese Theater (don't know what's playing there right now).

2. Universal City Walk.

3. Santa Monica Pier.

4. Venice Beach (I used to live there, and will likely be moving back next month).

5. Griffith Observatory (however, it was being re-modeled and I don't know if it has been re-opened yet).

6. Universal Studios Tour

7. Craig Kilborn Show (at CBS, somewhat close to Beverly Hills)

8. Dinner at Myagi's in Hollywood

9. The Third Street Prominade in Santa Monica

That's all I can think of now. I only lived there for four years, so some of the locals could probably provide better things.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Don...

Taxis are not easy to come by... Program the numbers in your cell phone when you get to town to call them...

Comedy Clubs to check out (in order of uniqueness):

The groundlings (young improv troop from which most of the current SNL cast is drawn)

The Improv

Comedy Store

Laugh Factory

If you like Magic, there is also the magic castle (its a members only club and you need to have a pass from a member to get in... let me know if you're interested and I'll hook you up...)

As far as VIP treatment... unless you are frequently mistaken for Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise, forget it... This is a town that takes snobbery to a new level...

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
rent a car,mass transportation sucks.....
easy to find parking and most of the time parking is free
uhmm go visit the beaches and have roscoe's chicken and waffles....

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
I couldn't tell you if the Getty has "VIP" tours, but I'd still recommend going. It's definitely worth it.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
When I was in LA in 2000 i did this tour

Swingers The Movie Tour

The site shows you where they shot some of the scenes.

Also, not sure if your a religious, but i stumbled upon the Crystal Cathedral while I was out there. Very nice place. I believe thats in or around Anaheim.

Paul

Don Black

Screenwriter
Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm stuck with the parking fees...

Scott: Is the Universal tour better than the WB tour?

Erik: Thanks for the offer, but I think I will hold off on the Magic Castle until I have a larger party.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
A few ideas:

1. Eat In And Out Burger once :)
2. Rent a car. The cost will probably be cheaper in the long run compared to the cost of a taxi.
3. Expect to spend alot of time in traffic :)
4. Univeral Tour was awesome when I went last time. I suspect its better than the WB tour. I don't know for certain but I haven't heard anything in regards to WB's tour to make me think otherwise.

Are you going to avoid Disney and the other "amusement" parks I assume?

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Don, you can park for $5.00 at most of the tourist places. But Venice is tricky on the weekend for less than $12.00
Of course valet parking is much higher.

Good luck

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
The Universal tour is more of a theme park ride. The Warner Tours (and Sony tour) are the real deal (i.e. walking around a real movie studio and having a knowledgeable guide tell you about the different buildings.) But the Uni tour is part of admission to a decent theme park, while the WB and Sony tours are just that.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Definitely go to the Getty. It's absolutely breathtaking. If you want to park at the museum, you'll have to make parking reservations. Otherwise, you can park on their lot on Sepulveda and take the shuttle up.

MOCA and LACMA are two other museums worth looking at. They both have fantastic photography exhibits going on (Diane Arbus and street photography).

I used to go to Venice all the time and I never pay for parking. I have a "secret" municipal lot off of Abbott Kinney. It's free and I've always found a spot. You have to walk a couple of blocks to the boardwalk, but the neighborhood architecture makes for an interesting stroll. Do take in the Venice boardwalk. You will feel so normal after you leave there! ;)

You must make a pilgrimage to Pink's for a world-class chili dog. Be prepared to stand in line. Mmmmmm ... it's worth it! It's on La Brea, at Melrose.

While you're in the area, browse around Melrose. Some interesting shops. Very trendy. One of my fave's is the Soap Plant. Strange books and fun tchotchkes.

Third Street Promenade, in Santa Monica, is nice. Outdoor shopping, restaurants and street entertainment. If you're into books, stop by The Midnight Special or Hennessey + Ingalls (art and architecture). You can leave there and check out the Santa Monica Pier. Park on the pier. Amusement park rides, including a vintage merry-go-round, and arcades.

Rodeo Drive's always good for a gawk. Take a quick spin around Beverly Hills and check out a few of the mansions.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
What, you're not going to Disneyland? Blashphemy! ;)

But any of the amusement parks, including Universal, I recommend doing what I always do: go on a weekday, a Tuesday or Wednesday. They're not open real late during the week (not off-season, anyway), but it is so, so much less crowded and much more pleasant. The lines for most rides are less than 20 minutes, as opposed to 90 minutes or more during peak season or on the weekends. And 10 hours in Disneyland should be enough for any adult.

(But beware if going to Universal during the week -- I think the studio tour ends about 4:00 p.m., hours before the park closes, so you might want to make that the first thing you do there.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks