What's new

Need a new source: OPPO 95 or Marantz BDP 7006? (1 Viewer)

Joe Becker

Auditioning
Hi I've been gone from the forum so long that the email address here was 3 moves ago! My old Denon BDP 2900 was replaced by an OPPO 83 when they came out and relegated to the upstairs tube stereo system. It's beginning to cough, grind, and give other indications of impending death. So I moved the OPPO 83 upstairs to do universal disc player duties in my music area. Now, I need a replacement for the main HT. Since the system has been completely replaced, I'll summarize briefly: Panasonic Viera VT 30 65" Plasma display Marantz SR 7005 Receiver Same old Vandersteen 2ce signature L/R, Definitive Technology CLR 1000, Def Tec 15 TL sub, and BP2X surrounds. My focus here, obviously, is HT 98%. The only reason I'm considering the OPPO 95 as against the more attractively priced 93 is the thought that I might enjoy the occasional disc downstairs, too. I did my "due diligence" on the web and ruled out Denon 2012, Cambridge Audio Azur, and a couple others. Does anyone have sage and/or pithy advice for me on choosing between these two machines? Thanks, Joe in Seattle

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't understand the "downstairs too" comment? If you don't intend to use the analog outs of the 95 then there is no benefit to getting it over the 93. The Oppos are tried and true, tend to have few issues and support from them is pretty good. I am a fan of Marantz, but not so much when it comes to their players.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I didn't get that either. What John says is true. I have the 95 because I wanted to use their DACS for music (both multi channel and stereo). For that reason, I recommend the player for music as it would perform well with your tube system (although the blu ray aspect of it is excellent as well). I might leave the 83 in your HT.

Joe Becker

Auditioning
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The tube stereo system is upstairs and I'm now using the OPPO 83 as a universal player source with my SACD's and CD's to good effect. I need a Blue Ray downstairs in the Home Theater. 98% of the time I watch movies. Rarely do I listen to a disc, but I'm thinking about that possibility in a new player there. Both of you suggtest the OPPO 95, as does my Dealer (pusher). It occurs to me that what I buy today for the Home Theater will eventually end up in another system as a CD/SACD player so I should probably buy the best I can afford now even if I'm not using it a lot to play CD's downstairs. Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd probably swap the 83 into the HT system and use the 95 for the music system then, OR see if Oppo will do the 83SE upgrade for you. I think they are still offering that. I did it, and the improvement was worth it. You'd still need another player though...:)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
The only benefit the 95 has over the 93 is the two DACs that come with the 95 (the 93 has one). If you buy the 95 but use the HDMI hookup, you will not be accessing the DACs and thus, spend extra for something you do not use. If you do not plan on using the analog outs now or in the future, save yourself 500 dollars and get the 93.

Joe Becker

Auditioning
I bought the 95. I got no further than the Paramount Logo of "Hugo" before realizing the 3D was better. I'm using the analogue CD output for disc listening in the HT room now. Sound is the best I've ever experienced from CD. Of note are the huge power cord and hefty HDMI cords that OPPO provides with this machine. I'm a happy guy. Too busy watching movies and listening to music to surf the web!

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Congrats. Welcome to the 95 club. Be sure to read the manual carefully, particularly if you want to use both DACs in the system (if you use both surround and two channel stereo). If you are, don't use the dedicated left and right analog but use the front left and front right analog. In the setup menu under audio configuration, there is a setting there to use the front left and right. Doing this will enable the usage of both DACs.

Out of curiosity, does the Oppo 95 give off a series of clicks when modes change? Mine does and I was wondering if it was normal. I figured it was so I didn't call Oppo, but let me know please.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks