1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a fast recommendation for a Windows laptop for friend

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DaveF, Aug 5, 2013.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    It's not that simple. I'm not quitting my job over their choice of a teleconferencing website.My friend is an independent consultant who must use a variety of outside B2B services dictated by his clients. He's not going to refuse their business over a browser issue, he's going to buy a PC with IE.I can't recommend Parallels merely to run IE. it's too much technical trouble, cost, battery life killer. I have no idea if chrome or Firefox work with his sites. My experiences suggest that won't fix it.

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I'll pass it along. I wish I had time to ask my Microsoftie neighbor. :)

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Second verse, same as the first...Any noteable new Windows 8.1 laptops, since the new intel chips came out?Dad needs a new laptop. 13" SSD. Good battery life. MS office and Windows Remote Desktop / VPN are main uses. Keyboard necessary. Touchscreen desired, but not necessary. May also run some specialty accounting websites (the sort that only work in IE on Windows).I can't make heads or tails of Windows Surface line (my dad thinks he wants the 'new Windows 8 computer'), or MS laptop summary site, or Dell.com.

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Windows 8 is a nice step up. One of the home builders I work with put everybody on a Surface. Except for certain esoteric programs(they don't use everyday anyway) it works fine.I wouldn't recommend Surface, yet, as a dedicated computer.