What's new

My Pop Life with Prince (1 Viewer)

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Mike,

Are you a Queen fan? If so check out the song "3 Chains O' Gold". It is on the Symbol album from '92. Good album overall.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Peter,

The CD World chain here in Jersey offers 25% discounts on Saturdays to members for used CDs. I saw Emancipation used for $22, so I definitely want to pick that up. Hopefully, I'll be able to get there tomorrow and get it for $15.

Three discs of music is a bit daunting, but I can't wait to hear it.

I am a huge Queen fan, but only of the material up to and including News of the World.

The Symbol album is another one high on the list of Prince discs to get.

NP: Camel, Rain Dances

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
I agree 3 discs is a lot. Fortunately the good stuff far out-ways the bad.

"3 Chains O' Gold" has kind of a "Bohemian Rhapsody" vibe to it. I think you will dig it.

Derek Baker

Stunt Coordinator
I did pick up Rainbow Children and I tell you . . . I have been waiting for the Prince "jazz" album to materialize for years; he's always hinted at his ability to play it. And musically this album is really great, but LYRICALLY it is so filled with his paranoid Jehovah Witness rants that I just can't listen to it.
As already quoted don't let the religious aspects get you down - there are some fantastic Prince gems on here - a must have!

And surely Purple Rain is begging for a DVD-A ??? I suspect all of Prince's back-catalogue would've been high on WB's list of albums needing remastering but 'The Rift' has surely put a stop to that for now.

Mmmmm...DIRTY MIND in DVD-A, now that would be a trip :)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
as a long time fan, I have to agree that The Rainbow Children CD is fantastic indeed.

I think Sign of the Times is his best

:emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
His recent live album, which someone felt was ok above is suppossed to be very good. It has his Maceo Parker band on it.

The Absolute Sound reveiewed this live box set and gave it their highest recommendation.

As the person stated above it doesn't cover his older stuff at all really but suppossedly the playing is quite good and well recorded.

If I remember right he starts off the show saying "If you came to hear Purple Rain your in the wrong *bleepin* place."

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm a very long-time fan, and I think Rainbow Children is by far the worst album the man ever made. It borders on unlistenable, and the 2002 show I attended wasn't much better - too many endless and pointless jams. The man used to be one of the best, but he's done so little worthwhile material since 1995 that I've nearly given up on him...

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
I am definetly a pre-NPG Prince fan!!! His works, along w/ The Time, The Family (The Screams Of Passion- Album & 12" remixes are soo dammn hott), Jill Jones, Tevin Campbell & Mavis Staples are creativity unmatched!!! These are primary reasons I keep my turntable in GREAT shape!!!

Derek Baker

Stunt Coordinator
A few comments;

NP: Emancipation
Pretty cool so far.
A common argument with this album was that it could have been a much better 2-CD set, or even 1-CD set. There are some 'filler' tracks on this release that could've easily been b-sides rather than album tracks. But still a great album.

And yes, Kenny_H, Prince is a damn good reason to keep the old turntable alive - some amazing 12" singles with extended jams that are just not made these days.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
A common argument with this album was that it could have been a much better 2-CD set, or even 1-CD set. There are some 'filler' tracks on this release that could've easily been b-sides rather than album tracks. But still a great album.
I think most double albums have lots of filler. The Wall, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, The Beatles, Flower Power, Snow, Exile on Main Streat, etc could lose some sub-par material to make for very strong, tight albums. But if you're a fan of these bands, these long albums are fun, even if you skip a track or two.

As for Emancipation, the first disc is really solid but the second is lacking. Lots of ballads and synth stuff- not my personal favorite of what Prince can do.

I hope to listen to the 3rd disc tomorrow.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Mike,

Did you listen to the 3rd disc? If so what were your thoughts. I personally love the last three songs.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
The 3rd disc is the most enjoyable. Great, great stuff.

I can't believe I liked the cover of What If God Was One of Us. Osbourne's version always annoyed me, but Prince can do it with style.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
I do feel bad that he can't be reconciled with a good record company and start releasing new material; It's really sad that all the crap with WB has all but silenced one of the great minds of this century. I was lucky to see him perform in 86 and it was mindblowing. Unbelivably good.
Oh, and if my intuition is correct, he has 2 jazz albums out: Madhouse 1 and 2... (listen closely; It's on Paisley Park records, lists no musicians, the songs are numbered, but that's it. Music sounds "Princey". I'd say it's Prince!) Can anyone confirm or deny?
Truth is that he isn't getting paid from any of the WB material, especially the new compilations. I heard that at one point he considered rerecording all of his earlier albums. Don't know how well that would have worked, but it's sad to see how much energy he had to put out to protect his work.
Sign O' the Times,
Purple Rain,
Controversy,
hell, all of them. Bad ass!
Love you, Prince! Bring it back, Brother!

yeah.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Mike,

Yeah, I never liked Osbourne's version, it always sounded blasphemous. With the same lyrics Prince made the song spiritual. That's my take on it.

The 3rd disc has always been my favorite.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I never liked Osbourne's version, it always sounded blasphemous. With the same lyrics Prince made the song spiritual. That's my take on it.
That's an interesting take on it. I just didn't like Osbourne's version because I thought the lyrics were stupid and it was boring musically. It's Prince's arrangement that makes it work for me.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I do feel bad that he can't be reconciled with a good record company and start releasing new material
??? He's still releasing new material - too bad it's mostly crap. I don't see what his rift with WB has to do with his output - he's released many albums since he broke with them...

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator

Filler on "The Wall"? That's one of the few double albums that is spot on from start to finish. It just wouldn't be "The Wall" any other way. Absolutely no filler.

I will agree that most of Prince's multiple sets have a great deal of filler- Emancipation and Crystal Ball come to mind- not to mention a fair sprinkling of filler on his single disc releases, but they're all fun none-the-less. Sign o' the Times is probably the closest of his muliple disc sets to nearly reach perfection from beginning to end.

The above statements are merely my own opinions and should be regarded as such with the exception of the comments regarding "The Wall"- that is documented fact.

Jimmy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks