What's new

Musicals with spectacular production numbers (1 Viewer)

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
The Gangs All Here!
Busby B. first color film.
not on DVD yet:frowning:
This film had a censored number with bananas that was put back in in the 1970's.:)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Two numbers from Fred Astaire that I thought were great were
"Dancing on the Ceiling" from Royal Wedding and "The Firecracker Dance" from Holiday Inn.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
All the movies Eleanor Poweel did for MGM had spetacular finales. The ones in the Broadway Melodies series, Born to Dance, Rosalie, Lady be Good (that incredible Fascinating Rhythm number), Ship Ahoy...

The Gang's All Here also had two great Berkley numbers, including the outrageous classic The Lady in the Tutti Frutti Hat.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
"The Muppet Christmas Carol" (Great 5.1 sound, but available in 1.33:1 Pan & Scan only :frowning:)

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
My favorite scene was in Cabaret with the "Money,Money" song. The choreography between Liza Minellia and Joel Gray is fantastic. It is another Bob Fosse film, so that is why it is a great film.

perrin

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
Since the stream of suggestions seems to be pretty much finished, I'd like to follow up on one of the suggestions (at the risk of highjacking my own thread).

About ROYAL WEDDING...

Is there any serious posibility of this being released as a properly restored product? I realize it is PD, but, it would seem that there is at least one example of a PD title being "properly" released ("His Girl Friday").

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
I haven't seen mentioned:
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes ("Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend", "Two Little Girls from Little Rock" and "Ain't There Anyone Here for Love?")
The Harvey Girls ("On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe")

Coming in 2005:
The Band Wagon ("Shine on Your Shoes", "Triplets", "The Girl Hunt Ballet", and "That's Entertainment")
New York, New York (The "Happy Endings" sequence, and, of course, the title number for a spectacular solo)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Brigadoon has a couple of wonderful large production musical numbers. For some reason this musical is not that highly regarded, but it's always been one of my favorites.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
On the fourth disc of the That's Entertainment boxset, the editors of the movies talk about another film they've edited--That's Dancing. Anyone konw if this title is on anyone's agenda?

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Well, since it's about musicals and not only English language musicals here are some examples from the country with the largest production of musicals ever: India.
- Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham... (2001)
- Devdas (2002)
- Dil Se.. (1998)
- Awaara (1951)
- Mughal-E-Azam (1960)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Chorus Line - the finale

Cats - opening number or the dance number about half way through

Not quite a musical, but worth considering:

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - Every Sperm is Sacred

glen_esq

Stunt Coordinator
Annie Get Your Gun (There's No Business Like Show Business)

Guys and Dolls (Luck Be a Lady, Sit Down Your Rockin' the Boat)

There's a big number in Duck Soup, I think its Freedonia's Going To War

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Lagaan has several (the "rain dance" number and a few others were incredible IMO). Of course almost any Bollywood film for that matter.

Also, the "World of Pure Imagination" number in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory...

Does Animation count?

Lion King "Circle of Life" and Beauty and the Beast "Be Our Guest" and Little Mermaid "Under the Sea". Cinderella's"Cinderelly" number when the mice are sewing her ball dress...

and not that I think this should actually go on the list...

but the "lobster mitts/Say a little prayer" number from My Best Friend's Wedding definitely fits the bill "big musical production number"...(though not a musical film itself).

RafaelB

Second Unit
Sweet Charity (Fosse's first try at film directing) has "Big Spender," "I'm a Brass Band," "Rhythm of Life"- Hell, the whole film is a great big production number. :)

Rafael.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Pennies from Heaven has some wonderful numbers as well, specifically "Yes! Yes!", "Pennies from Heaven", "Love is Good for Anything that Ails You" and "Let’s Misbehave".

glen_esq

Stunt Coordinator
Till the Clouds Roll By (medley from Showboat; Who)

Rocky Horror Picture Show (The Time Warp)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks