What's new

Musicals on Blu-Ray, why so few after all this time? (1 Viewer)

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Aside from "Mary Poppins", the most splendid gift Disney could bestow on the world in Blu-ray would be "Song of the South."

I know! I know! The studio line is that this film is racially offensive, although I'm not clear on why that is. There is nothing in "Song of the South", to my mind, that is anywhere near what I always thought would be considered offensive: The stereotyped crows in the "When I See an Elephant Fly" number in "Dumbo."

"Song of the South" has one of the finest original scores ever in a musical, and some of the finest, most delightful animation Disney ever created.

When will heads be removed from behinds?

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I'd like to see a decent bluray release of That's Entertainment as well as Turner's compilation of Busby Berkeley musical numbers that was on laserdisc. But mOst of all, Stormy Weather.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Originally Posted by bigshot

I'd like to see a decent bluray release of That's Entertainment as well as Turner's compilation of Busby Berkeley musical numbers that was on laserdisc. But mOst of all, Stormy Weather.

I'm curious, what's the problem with the current release of That's entertainment?

Also, a BD release of Cry Baby is scheduled for the fall here in Europe

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The image quality is barely better than the DVD. It looks like they didn't consider bluray when they did the transfer.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
quick updates:

"Scrooge" (1970) has been added to the release schedule (Oct)

SONY: Both "1776" and "Bye Bye Birdie" have received placeholders at Amazon.com

Director Peter Hunt" announced "1776" will be coming to blu-ray in early 2012 at the July 3rd screening of the film in Los Angeles.

"Bye Bye Birdie" received a digital presentation at the Motion Picture Academy in April (it looked great) Ann-Margret and Bobby Rydell were there, yet still no word from SONY when they will release it. (I would expect to see both anounced soon since SONY has very few placeholders at Amazon)

Warner has "Meet Me in St Louis" scheduled for later this year, yet no firm anouncement has been made, though it looks like it will street Nov in France

Aside from that not much on the musical front

"Little Shop of Horrors" celebrates it's 25th year. Amazon recently put up a placeholder for this title - I would expect WB to jump all over the anniversary date - but still no anouncement.

Still no firm dates for "Singing in the Rain" or "Camelot" (WB likes to release catallog in January but it could be December 2012 before these arrive)

Looks like WB will miss the anniveraries of both versions of "Show Boat" 1936 (75 YEARS) and 1951 (60 Years) WB has been working on these titles for over 5 years now

"Flower Drum Song" celebrates it's 50th - yet nothing from Universal (I doubt they will ever release it on blu-ray since it took so long for them to release it on DVD)

The musical on most want lists "My Fair Lady" is still missing in action. Paramount currently holds the video rights

"Doctor Dolittle" will be released in Sept - in Germany

"Cabaret" will be released in Oct - in France

By the way, watched "Viva Las Vegas" on blu ray last week - this film looks great on blu-ray! If all catalog titles from the 60's could only look this good.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Interesting news about CABARET. Is there any information indicating some restoration was done and that an American blu ray is in the works? The current dvd is a real shame, maybe the worst dvd of any major catalog title. Does anyone know what state the elements are in?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks