What's new

Directors More Director's Checklist Series - Volume #201: John Sayles (1 Viewer)

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Ah...the old change-the-subject-and-try-to-deflect-the-attention-from-me-routine!

:rolleyes

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
City of Hope (1991)
Lone Star (1996)
Limbo (1999)
Passion Fish (1992)
Sunshine State (2002)
Men with Guns (1997)
Casa de los babys (2003)
Baby It's You (1983)
Return of the Secaucus 7 (1980)

Seen the above, listed in order of preference. Hope to see City of Hope released on DVD someday.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
No, the old, Bill still is having trouble with English routine. You seem to think, still, that having "no interest" in doing something, is the same as "not being willing to do something". This is the same interpretation whether that something is watching a film or anything else. You are on my case for some reason (I'm not sure exactly why), having to do with the fact that I have no interest in certain films, or the fact that I watch some of them anyway. I pointed out that you probably also have things (be them films or whatever) that you have no interest in doing, and furthermore, most likely you sometimes do them anyway.

And just because I don't feel like always having to return your childish :rolleyes:in kind, here's a supply of responses that should last at least your next 10 or so posts.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member

Actually no, I don't...at least not since I was a child when I had little-to-no say those decisions. :angry:

In old Bill's English book, no interest means NO INTEREST!.
It doesn't mean no interest except on even-numbered days, full moons, Friday night poker nights, leap years or when the wife says otherwise! :D

However, that doesn't mean my interests can't change over time. :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
George, I think the real issue at hand is that you come into a thread dedicated to the discussion of a given director, in fact you were the first person to post in it other than the creator, with no other intention than to express how you "have no interest" in seeing any of his films. It is completely pointless and another fine example of thread crapping.

Maybe I am guilty as well, since I can't remember the couple Sayles films I have seen well enough to comment.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
No John, you are wrong. This is NOT a single thread dedicated to a particular director. This is a long (over 200) series of threads about many different directors. Myself and many others here have participated in every single one of these threads, often about directors we like, and often about directors we don't like. I don't think anyone (of the regulars in this series) has posted only about directors they like, or has been accused by anyone (but you) of thread crapping for posting comments about directors they didn't like.

Perhaps you should go back, starting with director #1 and read all of the said posts before you simply come into this one post with no purpose seemingly but to attack me. Hell, you don't even say anything about this director except that you don't remember anything about his films. So what are you doing posting here? Talk about thread crapping. :frowning:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
George, you've never even seen a single one of the man's movies.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I never said I did. I said that, based on Brook's description, I had no interest in seeing any. I never said his movies were good, bad or otherwise. As I mentioned somewhere, Lone Star is on my to rent list, and after I see it, I'll be back in here with positive or negative comments, as appropriate.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I don't consider George's post a threadcrap. When Jim was running the series I posted in threads where I had not seen a film by a particular director and posted comments similar to George if that was my opinion.

Why don't you participate in some of the other threads where you have seen some of the director's work, John? The more, the merrier!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You know Brook, I think I will. I'll even post some constructive comments. ;)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Besides, Brook, it is not possible to have an opinion of a director when you have not seen a single one of his movies. Make an assumption or have an impression, sure, but not an actual opinion.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Have it your way, a poor choice of words on my part John.

I look forward to reading your comments in the other director threads.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Brook, it's completely acceptible to make a poor choice of words. You're man enough to admit it. We've almost all done it. ;)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Ouch. Painful thread to read through, and some pretty twisted logic going on as well..........

Arman

Screenwriter
Volume #201 - John Sayles

Limbo (1999) :star::star::star: / 4
Lone Star (1996) :star::star::star:
Sunshine State (2002) :star::star::star:
Eight Men Out (1988) :star::star:
Men with Guns (1997) :star::star:
Casa de los babys (2003) :star::star:

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Lone Star (1996) - 8/10
The Secret of Roan Inish (1994) - 8/10
Matewan (1987) - 8/10

I have seen some of his films and I am interested in seeing more. Because I'm not a stupid jackass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks