What's new

Mildew stains in shower grout (1 Viewer)

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
It used to be that heavy cleaners, bleaches, grout erasers, etc. used to get the mildew stains out of our shower grout, but now it doesn't do more than lighten it to a grey color. Is our only option to remove the old grout (which is in otherwise good condition) and re-grout? If so, I assume that we need to get all of the mildewed grout out or else the old grout will stain the new grout from the inside. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
There may be something to get the stains out, but I can't help you there. Hopefully others can.

But if you do decide to regrout, I can, however, recommend that you use an acrylic grout. It's non-porous, so any stuff you happen to leave behind (underneath) won't creep through later. It also doesn't require sealing and will resist mildew for many years to come. Acrylic grouts are sanded (for traditional look) or non-sanded (for a smoother look) and are available in a variety of colors.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
There's a product made by (IIRC) Jasco that my wifes' had success using. One step is a cleaner, the second is some kind of paint that looks like a shoe polish thing with a foam tip, and the third is a sealer. Grout still looks like new three years later. Re-grouting would be a PITA IMO (especially since it'd probably end up being me doing the work)

Mort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks