What's new

MGM MOD: Fox Bows On Demand MGM Movies for Retailers (1 Viewer)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
cineMANIAC said:
Heads up! Amazon is having a sale on MGM MOD titles - many are $10-$11! Time to stock up.
Just ordered 15 of their sci-fi/horror titles that I didn't have. I was hoping they would drop in price and I'm glad they finally did. Also, received 2 free BDs from WB because of their closeout of their Reward Points. Not much to pick from, but I did get in BD, The Incredible Mr. Limpet and The Wild, Wild West.
Not a bad couple of days for movies!!!

Jobla

Supporting Actor
CHILLY SCENES OF WINTER is coming out on a cheapie DVD from TGG, accompanied by two other films. It will sell for less than ten dollars and be available from places like Wal Mart. Hell, I'd much rather have a MOD of CHILLY SCENES OF WINTER than what I just described.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I'd say this program is indeed dead. 2 months without any releases? Yup, it's dead. Fred Olen Ray's DEEP SPACE (1987) is coming out through TGG Direct in a triple feature with THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT and WAR-GODS OF THE DEEP. Unfortunately, DS is full frame.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I'll cling to optimism too, although fearing the worst. The lady from TGG couldn't possibly have leased the balance of MGM's film library unless she is a gazillionaire, and I don't suspect that she is.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
TGG Direct has been been selling repackaged discount MGM movies for years. I don't think that is the reason for the hiatus.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
If we're going to start getting new-to-disc films on proper pressed discs at $5 for a double feature, rather than single films on $20 DVDR's, this is no bad thing.
I'd be perfectly content if MGM decided to lease out titles to an independent that way.
However, it's too early to say if that is indeed what has happened. The TGG range is largely composed of reissues, with some very odd combinations!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Nebiroth /t/305482/mgm-mod-fox-bows-on-demand-mgm-movies-for-retailers/630#post_3971464
If we're going to start getting new-to-disc films on proper pressed discs at $5 for a double feature, rather than single films on $20 DVDR's, this is no bad thing.
I'd be perfectly content if MGM decided to lease out titles to an independent that way.
However, it's too early to say if that is indeed what has happened. The TGG range is largely composed of reissues, with some very odd combinations!
I spent two hours at two Wal-Mart stores in the area looking for the Goldfoot double feature. Found it, but there were tons of others from Sean Penn to Edward G. Robinson double features. All that I found, I either had, the Edward G. Robinson titles, or had no interest, the Sean Penn titles.

I was very pleased with the transfer of the titles as they were both anamorphic in OAR looked as good as Pathe' Color can. I will certainly keep my eye out for future releases and suggest that perhaps we have a thread devoted to the TGG MGM titles in order to keep up, or perhaps I missed it. Oh, in keeping with the way things go, if your happy there has to be a negative. I wish they included trailers.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
There's another thread somewhere in which I reported that on the Goldfoot/Bikini transfer the image appears a little horizontally squished -- just enough to be distracting for my taste -- on my Oppo 93 / Panasonic combination, and on my laptop. On two other player/TV combinations it's somewhat more forgiving, but objects that should be perfectly round (clocks, mainframe computer tape reels) are still a bit too oval.

Some information is also cut off the top, left, and bottom compared to the original MGM disc, left and bottom being the more noticeable, but Price does come a bit too close to getting scalped a few times.

No one else has commented on this, but not that many people have found the disc yet. Do you have the older one to compare it with?

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
remember when universal started their mod program a bunch of titles were released and then there was a long pause before more titles were released.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Back on the first page of this thread where the original Fox/MGM announcement is posted was the following sentence in the posting:

[SIZE= 16px]Initially, more than 50 films will be offered, with an expansion plan to release more than 400 new-to-DVD titles within the next 18 months.[/SIZE]

That original announcement was made November 2010 and it appears that MGM stopped their MOD couple of months ago so that would be just about 18 months. Not sure how many titles they released but SAE lists 340 titles. It looks as if MGM reached their 18 months and have decided not to renew.

I hope they will reconsider, but I am certainly with behind the $5.00 TGG titles if more of them are unreleased titles and just re-released.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
ahollis said:
I will certainly keep my eye out for future releases and suggest that perhaps we have a thread devoted to the TGG MGM titles in order to keep up, or perhaps I missed it. Oh, in keeping with the way things go, if your happy there has to be a negative. I wish they included trailers.
There was a previous thread that was originally called "Doctor Goldfoot" in regards to that one double feature and pretty much turned into the TGG Direct thread.
ahollis said:
Back on the first page of this thread where the original Fox/MGM announcement is posted was the following sentence in the posting:
That original announcement was made November 2010 and it appears that MGM stopped their MOD couple of months ago so that would be just about 18 months.  Not sure how many titles they released but SAE lists 340 titles.  It looks as if MGM reached their 18 months and have decided not to renew. 
I hope they will reconsider, but I am certainly with behind the $5.00 TGG titles if more of them are unreleased titles and just re-released. 
If that's the case, that's more likely the reason. However, it could just be a lull in a transition period. Remember there was a pretty long hiatus between their Amazon.com-exclusive waves and this new line, and this could be a similar situation.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by JoHud /t/305482/mgm-mod-fox-bows-on-demand-mgm-movies-for-retailers/630#post_3971684
There was a previous thread that was originally called "Doctor Goldfoot" in regards to that one double feature and pretty much turned into the TGG Direct thread.

I'm aware of that thread for it put me on the hunt for the Doctor Goldfoot DVD, but perhaps it should be re-titled to be more meaningful and not confuse other posters. Or we should just start an all encompassing one since TGG seems to be going to release more titles.

I really expect this to be the end of the MGM MOD titles. They seem to have gone in a different direction. If they MOD release SERGENT DEADHEAD and OPERATION BIKINI, then I would surely think that they would release DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE GIRL BOMBS as an MOD. I find it amusing that just as MGM ceases or slows down, that Fox ramps up for the program.

InLikeFlynn

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
My best guess is that Fox decided not to renew the agreement with MGM given they wanted to bring their own MOD program on-line. The expiring MGM MOD program would have conceivably taken resources from the start up of Fox's MOD program.
I do not know how MGM's MOD program performed sales-wise. However, if it was doing that poorly, would Fox have decided to launch their own program given their access to that data?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by InLikeFlynn /t/305482/mgm-mod-fox-bows-on-demand-mgm-movies-for-retailers/630#post_3971757
My best guess is that Fox decided not to renew the agreement with MGM given they wanted to bring their own MOD program on-line. The expiring MGM MOD program would have conceivably taken resources from the start up of Fox's MOD program.
I do not know how MGM's MOD program performed sales-wise. However, if it was doing that poorly, would Fox have decided to launch their own program given their access to that data?
The current MGM/Fox agreement still a a few years left on the it. It would be up to MGM if they did not want to continue the program not Fox, though I agree the Fox could have decided to just jump in since the foundation was there and there seems to be some renewed interest on Fox's part to get their titles out.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Looks like MGM has signed some sort of agreement with Shout Factory. Could be interesting. I'm hoping for UNHOLY ROLLERS, myself.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
According to a poster on the Horror Forums, the deal with Shout will focus on material from the 1970's and 80's - disappointing if true, since I have far less interest in that period thatthe earlier 'classic' eras
The 1970's in particular was what we in England refer to as a "fag end" - Hammer, for example, was running out of ideas with productions getting cheaper, tackier, more lurid and overtly sex-ploitative. We got what I call the "Fangs N' Tits Trilogy" starting with The Vampire Lovers and even the Lee Dracula cycle was running down, ending with Satanic Rites (which aren't bad - just not as good, suffering from sequel fatigue)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
But OTOH, MGM has a whole bunch of 70's and early 80s non-horror material I'm rabid to see or even just see done right-

The films they will release will appeal to those that are interested in the 1970s and 80s horror/cult genre. They will release Universal and MGM titles and most likely will have something for everyone interested. They may deviate and get some titles from the 1960s and 1990s here and there as well.
Its going to be fun watching for the Friday announcements from them

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks