What's new

Men who hate grilling (1 Viewer)

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor

Here in New England I grill all year and you can only grill 10 months in California? Oh thats right you wear parka's in 50-60 degree weather. ;)
Snow sizzles as it hits a hot grill.

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
I'm also a man who doesn't enjoy grilling. I like foods from the grill, but really don't derive any deep joy or satisfaction from grilling out.

I also am not a "foodie", nor do I particularly like cooking, so that ties into it somewhat, I'm sure. And I'll admit to being lazy; if all I had to do was simply turn meat over on the fire, I'd be on board. All the care and maintenance hold no appeal for me at all.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
What I did really enjoy as a kid when my father was BBQing was putting unfortunate insects on top of the grill and watch them dance. Most of the time it was carpenter ants walking around... Don't tell PETA. :)

Jay

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Men are not only supposed to be masters of the grill, but also (at least in Texas) of barbeque and chili.

My wife and I both cook reasonably well (she is better than me) and either of us can pretty much make anything from a salsa to one of the classics of the French cuisine. Even so, when it comes to the grill, she always gives the tongs to me. Why this is (unless she views this as a time to relax while I do the work), no one knows—perhaps it is just in the genetic code somewhere.

Alex-C

Screenwriter

What the..who the hell...Sir, you've insulted my name with an entirely truthful and accurate comment.

To be honest, from Nov through Feb, I just dont "feel it". I make a lot of stews, soups and hot meals in the crock pot. The cold weather just does that to me. I can't get up for a grilled steak when its raining outside or when that bone chilling 45 degree air hits you.

Seriously, we wear 4 layers when its below 50. You're spot on with that one.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Actually it's really neat at my place in the winter. The covered patio permits me to grill on my BBQ with a snowbank right next to it to hold the beer. :emoji_thumbsup: All I have to do is reach over and pull out a cold one.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The only thing I don't like about BBQing is forgetting to turn off the gas, meaning I have a dead BBQ next time out.

I would definitely get tanks away from the house - when my dad's place burned those tanks were shooting 50 feet in the air, and leaking propane is heavier than air so it will settle in the basement...

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Turn the heat down (or use less charcoal) and let it cook longer.

Personally I prefer the outdoor deep-fryer. Which is basically a very large single burner set on a tripod. Its the only way to steam clams or cook crabs & lobsters (Unless you want your apartment so smell like a rotting whale carcass for two weeks). Plus you can deep-fry stuff too, just use oil instead of water....

Mmmmm.....deep-fried turkey
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Any tips for frozen burgers? Usually we hand-make our own but recently we tried Bubba Burgers. The results have been bad--much flare-up, scorching and shrinkage. Are you supposed to thaw them first, or just throw them on the grill fully frozen? Or is it the brand?

LewB

Screenwriter
'Shrinkage' (pardon the expression) and flare up is caused by high fat or moisture content I believe.
I usually buy the chopped meat in the store, make patties and freeze them. I then nuke them enough to defrost then season and grill.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
For flareups. you can use a spray bottle filled with water. Set it to just above a mist and spray the coals to prevent flaring. Alton Brown uses one shaped like a dinosaur, but that is optional.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I'll have to chime in as someone who loves grilling and barbequing.

Grilling is just great for steaks because it is so mind numbingly easy and simple. Four or so minutes for side one, flip, wait two minutes for a quarter turn, another two minutes off the grill for five minute of rest and it is all good eats afterward.

Sure barbequing takes all day but the wait is worth it in the end.

Fortunately in CA I can easily do both all year round.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'd think you'd want to thaw the burgers first. Or adjust the cook time and temperature to accomodate. It won't be the same as for fresh patties.

A burger made from ground beef from the fridge, kneaded and shaped, and even resting for a few minutes, will be 43+ degrees. This is cooked on high for about three minutes per side.

But a frozen burger straight from the freezer will be 32 degrees or lower. Cooking it on high for the same short period might cook the outside but leave the inside raw. Cooking longer could char the outside to get the inside cooked.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

After 8 minutes on the grill is it still mooing? ;)

I need mine a little more done than that.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Of course it all depends on the steak’s thickness. As my wife and I like ours cooked medium-rare, 8 minutes seems about right.

Grilled, frozen meat will not work well.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
With a gas BBQ, you can throw frozen burgers on right when you first light it off. They will defrost while the BBQ heats up.

joe goswami

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Goswami
I love the BBQ. In Canada we even do it in the winter either outside or in the garage with the big door wide open. And you know those shiny new Stainless Steel BBQ's that are bigger than some of our RPTV's out there? Well, its not the quality of the grille that counts Gentlemen, its the knowledge of the guy operating the grill that counts.

Any takers??

mylan

Screenwriter

But they smoke like the dickins on a regular grill. I have to keep a spray bottle handy or i'll get flame-ups from hell. We have a screened in porch instead of a deck and it looks like the house is on fire when I cook those things, the fat content must be through the roof! I do love grilling steaks, I do better when its just the two of us, I cook four or five and I cannot give each one the attention it needs and one gets overly done every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks