1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Meet Me in St. Louis" Blu-ray extras...what the?!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by classicmovieguy, Sep 3, 2011.

1. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Well-Known Member

Byron
    Amazon have just uploaded a second picture on their product page for the Blu-ray of "Meet Me in St. Louis", which highlights the extras included in the package... What's a bit sad is the lack of new extras (apart from a 4-track sampler from the soundtrack album--which most diehards probably already have). It's also a bit alarming because, if you read the press release on the Amazon product page, it would appear that the extras from the second disc of the 2004 DVD release won't be ported over to the Blu-ray. This includes the 1996 TCM "Becoming Attractions: Judy Garland" special, the Dick Cavett "Dream Factory" TV special and the pilot from the "Meet Me in St. Louis" television series. I'm still hoping it's an oversight on the press release and all the old extras will re-appear. But just in case I'm still hanging on to the old DVD edition.

2. Guest

Also, did they do a new scan or not?

3. JohnMor

JohnMor Premium
    Supporter

John Moreland

??? I'm not sure what you're looking at, but the official WB press release posted here in this forum lists all those extras. Specifically:

Meet Me in St. Louis’ extra content features include:

• Introduction by Liza Minnelli
    • Commentary by Garland biographer John Fricke with Margaret O’Brien, screenwriter Irving Brecher, songwriter Hugh Martin and daughter of producer Arthur Freed, Barbara Freed-Saltzman
    • Meet Me in St. Louis: The Making of an American Classic (Narrated by Roddy McDowall)
    • Hollywood: The Dream Factory (Emmy-Award winning 1972 MGM-TV special, narrated by Dick Cavett-- First time on home video)
    • Becoming Attractions: Judy Garland (1996 TCM special)
    • Meet Me in St. Louis (1966 TV pilot with Shelley Fabares and Celeste Holm)
    • Bubbles (1930 Warner Bros. short featuring Judy Garland at age 7)
    • Skip To My Lou (Rare 1941 musical short with Meet Me in St. Louis composers Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane)
    • Audio Vault Boys and Girls Like You and Me outtake (reconstruction using still photographs)
    • Lux Radio Theater Broadcast from December 2, 1946

Here's the link to the thread with the official WB press release:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/313942/whv-press-release-meet-me-in-st-louis-blu-ray

4. classicmovieguy

Byron
    Thanks for clearing that up. The press leaflet upoloaded on the Amazon product page mentioned none of the second disc special features.

5. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    True, but notice that it says "special features are subject to change" Since then, also on that thread, WB released this advertisement [​IMG]. Most retail chains since then have been listing those special features alone. I hope you are right and we will get the disc 2 extra features ported, but I'm holding on to my DVD until there is more solid confirmation.

6. JohnMor

JohnMor Premium
    Supporter

John Moreland
    I think it's safe given Warner's track record with their digi-book blu rays that they'll be included. I'm not aware of a digi-book title where everything wasn't ported over.

7. classicmovieguy

Byron
    Do you think this will get a UK release too? I'm just never keen on the digibook thing.:)

8. Danoldrati

Danoldrati Active Member

Dan Oldrati
    Hi DVD beaver has posted a review for "Meet Me in St Louis" Blu Ray.

9. bigshot

bigshot Well-Known Member

Stephen
    And the screen caps are jaw droppingly beautiful!

10. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Well-Known Member

I have the disc in my player right now, and all those extras are included...

11. moviepas

moviepas Well-Known Member

Meet Me in St. Louis (TV 1959) 120 min

What about this which exists in a kinescope, at least. Patty Duke & Jeanne Crain are in it? I guess 120mins is with ads included.

12. benbess

benbess Well-Known Member

Ben Hufbauer
    How's the pq?

13. bigshot

bigshot Well-Known Member

Stephen
    It looks fabulous. Beautiful color, clean and sharp, lots of detail in the night scenes, great sound.

14. Guest

No original mono track included? Why WB?

15. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Well-Known Member

Robert Smith
    I saw this when it was shown on network TV and remember it very well. Never could find it anyplace, glad to hear the Museum of Radio and TV has it, I'll try to get there to see it while in NYC. At the time I thought it had very honest sentiments compared to the classic film. (I was very young so perhaps wrong.) To a child, this story can be very scary. It paints an inviting picture of a family and then hypothesizes that everything will change out from under them. Considering the film was released during the middle of WWII when young people were far from home and in harm's way, it must have had a big impact emotionally. Today it is largely remembed as a Garland/Minnelli musical, but it is much more. I believe this performance was originally on videotape, by 1959 most productions were taped. Apparently it only exists on kinescope. Surprisingly, many taped shows only exist on kinescope, the kinescopes were cheaper than the tape (!) and considered more permanent. Of course, this means that if the show was originally in color, then it only exists in B&W. How things have changed from 2 inch video tape for NTSC (480i)!

16. Art_AD

Art_AD Well-Known Member

The Meet me In St Louis 1959 TV Special is available on regular DVD it is called "The Fred Astaire Jane Powell collection from a company called Vina Distributer. Since ..........I assume all the films in the collection are public domain... all are in not the best condition..........BUT it is worth the price just for this version of Meet Me In St. Louis alone (in my opinion) as it was one of my most want to see TV movies. You get a great Walter Pidgeon & Myrna loy duet not to mention Jane Powell's great voice.

17. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Well-Known Member

Robert Smith
    Thanks, I have ordered it, have always wanted to see it again.