What's new

Man With A Camera-The Complete Collection 11/20/07 (3 Viewers)

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I've ordered it over the Internet, and it's not even been shipped yet, weird. :frowning:

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard

Where does it state "29 episodes"?

After a run of off-topic posts this thread went back on topic a few posts into page 2. I am glad the quality of the episodes is good. I didn't even know about this series until I saw one episode included on a Region 2 DVD Charles Bronson film called Chico (on HMV.co.uk's website). I did a search for Man With A Camera on TVShowsOnDVD and found out that a complete series boxset had been released. I had wondered if it was a public domain release or not.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I wonder if Mill Creek will be reissuing more releases from the old Critic's Choice/Infinity/Falcon era?

It was interesting to read this old thread and notice all the series mentioned. Some have been released and some still have not.

One show mentioned, Robert Taylor's THE DETECTIVES is being shown in the UK. And there is a trivia article over at the MeTV site about the show. I hope this is a hint that it will be coming to MeTV soon. VCI is said to be interested, but after the partial Burke's Law and Zane Grey releases, I don't dare hope.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Seeing that MC is going to slap it on two disks (29 episodes) when the original Infinity release is on four disks, I can say I'm happy to have my Infinity release. I really enjoyed this show. This announcement has me wanting to revisit it soon.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I see from the TV On DVD Roundup thread that MAN WITH A CAMERA is being released for the third time. Who knew this show was a DVD evergreen, never out of print?

This time from MPI-May 11, 2021. I didn't realize MPI was still active.
ManCamera_5 11 2021 19.98.jpg

The older releases are still around at Amazon. Mill Creek-2017.
MillCreek Buck Eye  2017.jpg

Infinity-2007.
Infinity CC.jpg

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The show is PD and the transfers were done by UCLA years ago so putting it out doesn't cost much.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Has anyone bought the MPI May 2021 set of Man With A Camera, and what's the quality like?

It says it's the full 29 episodes on two discs, which kinda' scares me.

Don't know if they are double-sided or not, or which is the lesser of the two evils.

Either way, it's probably the best we'll get.

I'll try giving MPI a call tomorrow.

I wouldn't even know where or when to even start looking for promo codes, but for $19 and change...

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Has anyone bought the MPI May 2021 set of Man With A Camera, and what's the quality like?

It says it's the full 29 episodes on two discs, which kinda' scares me.

Don't know if they are double-sided or not, or which is the lesser of the two evils.

Either way, it's probably the best we'll get.

I'll try giving MPI a call tomorrow.

I wouldn't even know where or when to even start looking for promo codes, but for $19 and change...
Just checked my Infinity set. Disc 4 has 9 episodes crammed on it and the picture quality is far better than many other releases with less on a disc. Don't get me wrong, not CBS or Warner quality, but more than watchable. MPI couldn't have done any worse and as far as I know no one does double-sided disc releases anymore.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I have the two-disc set from "Blackeye Entertainment" - whoever the hell they are - and the episodes look just fine to me, despite having 14-15 crammed on each disc (though I tend to watch them on my 50" plasma rather than via my projector). I'm guessing the transfer quality would be similar to the recent MPI set.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I have the two-disc set from "Blackeye Entertainment" (whoever the hell they are) and the episodes look just fine to me, despite having 14-15 crammed on each disc. I'm guessing the transfer quality would be similar to the recent MPI set.
14-15 per disc seriously? That's deeper than Riverboat!! :)

A bargain. Maybe I'll buy a second copy in case mine wears out?

It appears the Infinity set has become hard to come by. Here's a copy on eBay. Seller claims it's a GREAT PRICE!

This looks better than any episode on my set.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob

This looks better than any episode on my set.

So, you have the Infinity set, which was done under the auspices of UCLA Film & Television Archive, which according to Wiki, is the one where the source prints were used, and you say the YouTube link you supplied is better than that Infinity release?

Ouch...I may have to reconsider, for now anyway. :(

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
So, you have the Infinity set, which was done under the auspices of UCLA Film & Television Archive, which according to Wiki, is the one where the source prints were used, and you say the YouTube link you supplied is better than that Infinity release?

Ouch...I may have to reconsider, for now anyway. :(
Yes, and perhaps you should reconsider. Sounds like you're expecting way too much. I'm relatively sure the Infinity set is exactly the same as the Mill Creek and what Jeff has too. The Infinity set says Digitally Restored. That's a loose description that means little to me. The Mill Creek and MPI sets dropped that claim. As I said previously, more than watchable. It's $11.11 for the Mill Creek set at DeepDiscount, probably a few bucks for shipping. What have you got to lose? Or watch 'em all on YT.
icon_e_thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I'll have to disagree with Neal here, the YouTube video is not better than the Infinity release. My guess is that all the physical releases are based on the same source, and the YouTube video probably came from one of the physical releases. The differences are based on the amount of compression involved. I matched the linked YouTube video against the same episode from the Infinity disks and the YouTube video suffers noticeable from more compression artifacts. Less disks is going to mean more compression, but I cannot say where the other sets fit between the Infinity and YouTube videos without comparing directly.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I'll have to disagree with Neal here, the YouTube video is not better than the Infinity release. My guess is that all the physical releases are based on the same source, and the YouTube video probably came from one of the physical releases. The differences are based on the amount of compression involved. I matched the linked YouTube video against the same episode from the Infinity disks and the YouTube video suffers noticeable from more compression artifacts. Less disks is going to mean more compression, but I cannot say where the other sets fit between the Infinity and YouTube videos without comparing directly.
I don't doubt what you say Brad. I was too lazy to do an A/B comparison. Probably seeing it on a small computer screen from YouTube vs. a large screen monitor from the DVD I was fooled into thinking the YT was better. I also didn't want to say that all the episodes were probably ripped from any one of the DVD sets. The Infinity's Disc 4 with 9 episodes is quite a lot. I can't think of too many other DVD collections that I own with that many. But I imagine the original quality dictates how bad it appears after too many episodes are crammed onto a single disc and the image is diluted. That Jeff feels it's watchable with 14-15 episodes per disc is a testament of how really good it once looked. Bottomline is that I'm one picky SOB. And if I can tolerate the image quality of this series and even refer to it as more than watchable, than anyone and everyone else will be pleased.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I don't doubt what you say Brad. I was too lazy to do an A/B comparison. Probably seeing it on a small computer screen from YouTube vs. a large screen monitor from the DVD I was fooled into thinking the YT was better. I also didn't want to say that all the episodes were probably ripped from any one of the DVD sets. The Infinity's Disc 4 with 9 episodes is quite a lot. I can't think of too many other DVD collections that I own with that many. But I imagine the original quality dictates how bad it appears after too many episodes are crammed onto a single disc and the image is diluted. That Jeff feels it's watchable with 14-15 episodes per disc is a testament of how really good it once looked. Bottomline is that I'm one picky SOB. And if I can tolerate the image quality of this series and even refer to it as more than watchable, than anyone and everyone else will be pleased.
"Man with a Camera" is one of those "never heard of" blind buys for me when it first came out by Infinity. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately, my memory was that the quality was better than it really is after making the comparison to the YouTube uploads. It is a very clean image, just soft, like it came from 16mm prints or something. I guess later I became spoiled by the types of releases put out by CBS so my memory was faulty.

Based on my collection, nine episodes of a 25 minute shows per disk is not all that uncommon. That equates to 4.5 50 minutes shows per disk, and quite a few smaller distributors have gone the five 50 minute episodes per disk. I've even found five on a few CBS releases from time to time at the end of a release to avoid an additional disk. It ultimately comes down to the source and that some additional compression on a high quality source may not be as noticeable.

Including 14 to 15 episodes a disk is a lot and will suffer from compression, but again not completely unheard of. While I don't recall having any 25 minute show releases this way, I do recall noting a few six to seven 50 minute shows per disk on a few releases that is getting close in amount of compression.

All that said, I agree it is very much watchable and I'd have no issue revisiting it at any time. I may not be as picky but I do watch on a 92" screen, which makes compression issues more noticeable. However, for me, I would probably seek out a used Infinity set vs. YouTube or the MillCreek set just to avoid unnecessary compression issues, but everyone has to evaluate the cost aspect between the options. Especially, given that it appears all are based on the same source, so it really comes down to the additional compression, which is more evident in certain types of scenes and screen sizes.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
"Man with a Camera" is one of those "never heard of" blind buys for me when it first came out by Infinity. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately, my memory was that the quality was better than it really is after making the comparison to the YouTube uploads. It is a very clean image, just soft, like it came from 16mm prints or something. I guess later I became spoiled by the types of releases put out by CBS so my memory was faulty.

Based on my collection, nine episodes of a 25 minute shows per disk is not all that uncommon. That equates to 4.5 50 minutes shows per disk, and quite a few smaller distributors have gone the five 50 minute episodes per disk. I've even found five on a few CBS releases from time to time at the end of a release to avoid an additional disk. It ultimately comes down to the source and that some additional compression on a high quality source may not be as noticeable.

Including 14 to 15 episodes a disk is a lot and will suffer from compression, but again not completely unheard of. While I don't recall having any 25 minute show releases this way, I do recall noting a few six to seven 50 minute shows per disk on a few releases that is getting close in amount of compression.

All that said, I agree it is very much watchable and I'd have no issue revisiting it at any time. I may not be as picky but I do watch on a 92" screen, which makes compression issues more noticeable. However, for me, I would probably seek out a used Infinity set vs. YouTube or the MillCreek set just to avoid unnecessary compression issues, but everyone has to evaluate the cost aspect between the options. Especially, given that it appears all are based on the same source, so it really comes down to the additional compression, which is more evident in certain types of scenes and screen sizes.
I certainly agree with you. Once you get spoiled it's hard to go back and nobody does it like CBS. Over the past 2 or 3 years I'm seeing quite a few remastered series on the various retro channels which has rendered viewing my DVD sets unwatchable. Yes right you are again. You're not catching me at my sharpest. I was thinking along the lines of 60 minute episodes but again I firmly believe it all starts with just how good the original elements were prior to cramming. You might have noticed Randall posting images of Route 66 comparing the Roxbury release and the Shout release. Just this morning I was just watching Code 3 which has 13 episodes per disc and it looks darn good. So is there advanced technology present day as opposed to when "Man with a Camera" was released that overcomes the compression factor and allows the final product to look better? If true perhaps MPI was able to utilize that with their MWAC release? I'm glad I have my Infinity set but if I was watching it on a 92" monitor I might be writing something very different here. :)

Last edited:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I certainly agree with you. Once you get spoiled it's hard to go back and nobody does it like CBS. Over the past 2 or 3 years I'm seeing quite a few remastered series on the various retro channels which has rendered viewing my DVD sets unwatchable. Yes right you are again. You're not catching me at my sharpest. I was thinking along the lines of 60 minute episodes but again I firmly believe it all starts with just how good the original elements were prior to cramming. You might have noticed Randall posting images of Route 66 comparing the Roxbury release and the Shout release. Just this morning I was just watching Code 3 which has 13 episodes per disc and it looks darn good. So is there advanced technology present day as opposed to when "Man with a Camera" was released that overcomes the compression factor and allows the final product to look better? I'm glad I have my Infinity set but if I was watching it on a 92" monitor I might be writing something very different here. :)
Yes, condition of the original elements is key. The softer the elements the less the compression algorithms have to work with. Quality detailed elements are going to get softer with more compression, but shouldn't get "blotchy" nearly as quickly as when starting from an already softer source.

Yea, I can end up watching anything from a high quality blu-ray to a sports event from the 80's captured to VHS and converted to DVD on that 92" screen. I will always lean towards getting the highest quality source available, but I can be very lenient on what that source is when it is content of interest. Obviously, I try to steer away from watching the quality blu-ray and the VHS quality sporting event on the same day, we all have our limits. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks