1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mama's Family 30th Anniversary

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by darkrock17, Jan 21, 2013.

1. darkrock17

darkrock17 Supporting Actor

Andrew McClure
    I know this might sound stupid but, did VHS exit in 1983? Wasn't Betamax still the "in" thing still? If anyone did record the NBC seasons, they're on YouTube somewhere, as I've seen bloopers from the NBC years and an Alister Quince intro as well.

Mama's Family bloopers start at 1:56

Mama's Family bloopers from TV's Bloopers & Practical Jokes starts at 1:08

Original Intro with Alister Quince:

2. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Supporting Actor

Vahan_Nisanain
    Yes. VHS has been around since the mid-1970s, though there wouldn't be as many until the early 1980's.

3. John Karras

John Karras Stunt Coordinator

Lawrence
    It's too bad TL didn't acknowledge this prior to shipping the set, since the 22 min. running time along with the production slate on the master they used for the DVD states "Domestic Syndication Master" were both dead giveaways. TL's after-the-fact acknowledgement, only prompted by customer inquiries, reduces the sincerity of their statement.

"...have not withstood the test of time and were lost". This implies:
    1. That the 1" edited master of these 2 episodes somehow deteriorated beyond correction, while all the other masters on the shelf remained stable
    2. That the minimum 6 copies of the edited master made at the time of original broadcast were not retained by JH Productions or the estate
    3. That JH Productions eschewed the standard practice of also storing a protection master of each show.

4. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Okay, ya know, I have to give TL some props now. They actually admitted what happened. Is it perfect? No. But it's a whole lot more than what some other studios/distributors have done in the past.

ahollis likes this.
  5. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen
    I'm happy.

6. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I'm sure those episodes exist uncut in the hands of collectors. I taped about half the Mamas off NBC in the 80s and the rest off syndication or TBS years later.

7. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    Yeah, but would the VHS tapes be of decent enough quality to lift the edited parts from for a DVD release?

I mean, you know people... there are complaints about edited episodes, but there would be loud complaints about inferior picture quality on the footage spliced back into the episodes, as well.

Although in watching through the series, I've just made it to season 3, and the NBC episodes are already of inferior picture quality to the syndicated years, IMO.

I don't know if technology changed in the two year layoff, or if a better quality of videotape was used to record the syndicated years, or what happened to make the NBC episodes look so bad compared to the syndicated years.

8. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    Look who's back...How about we all just ignore his posts going forward and not give him the satisfaction. Deal?

Ron1973 and JohnMor like this.
  9. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Too bad this site doesn't have a "ignore" feature when it comes to certain posters! :lol:

10. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Could be any number of reasons. My theory is that when they were on the network they were probably using hand-me-down camera equipment from NBC, but in syndication the producers probably had to spring for their own stuff.

As for spliced-in footage...I don't think they'd complain. They put up with it for I Love Lucy and the Brady Bunch. Better a few inferior shots than none at all. Hopefully they'll track down some uncut versions and offer a replacement disc. "Cellmates" was one of the best episodes they ever did--a Eunice/Thelma installment and worthy successor to the CBS sketches.

11. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Oh, you did not. Liar, liar, liar. Do you have nothing better to do than grief on the "Mama's Family" thread and misspell everything?

Ron1973 likes this.
  12. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    Y'know, I wouldn't even want the hassle of a replacement disc... just a disc with both uncut episodes on it, maybe some extra bonus materials they had lying around the cutting room floor for good measure (aren't the bonus features on the "Best Of" discs exclusive to those discs only? Those would make a nice gift to complete series buyers), pack it in a slim case that would fit in the complete series box we already have, and that's that. Make it available to the people who have already ordered, and pack it with unsold sets.

13. shc57783

shc57783 Extra

Watching the few Carol Burnett Show "Family" sketches included with this set makes me wish someone would release all 31 sketches on home video as a collection. At this point, they're not even all available in the various Carol Burnett Show collections. Maybe someday...

14. darkrock17

darkrock17 Supporting Actor

Andrew McClure
    Time Life might release a "The Family" collection next year.

15. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    That's interesting as I never knew there were a total of 31 sketches from that show of The Family. THAT I would definitely buy in a heartbeat!

16. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    There's also this Eunice & Mama sketch from Carol's 1979 follow-up series.

darkrock17 likes this.
  17. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    That one was a pain to find on YouTube in the beginning as that's where I first saw this thing but I'm totally in for the complete The Family sketches from this show if it ever does come out on DVD...that's what started the idea of Mama's Family.