What's new

Live Concerts - DVD - Opinions needed (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm psyched for the new Meat Loaf disc, which I just ordered from DDD today (tough to find a deal on it -- but with the 20% off it was under $15).

Two that haven't been mentioned yet are Dream Theater's Live At Budokan and Rush's Rush In Rio. Both have truly amazing you-are-there mixes. Some people didn't like the mixes, but I suspect that they are not people who have actually attended live concerts. :) The DT disc also has fantastic anamorphic video and both have excellent extra features. Budokan is IMO in the running for best concert DVD ever.

Opeth's Lamentations is very good as well, but they are more of an acquired taste, musically speaking.

The new Bowie disc is great, too. And what a steal at $10!!!

Gabriela Mendez

Stunt Coordinator
Sarah Brightman - Live from Las Vegas
Chuck Mangione: The Feeling's Back (not really concert, but live session)
Coldplay Live
Moz Live in Dallas

Would add some more if Moz had some concert DVD's...
:D

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Seppo
My favourite is easily The Who's remastered Live At The Isle Of Wight Festival 1970 DVD which was released this summer. The sound is just such a tour-de-force that it just really, really blows me away. Especially the DTS mix sounds incredibly powerful and loud even though *some* DTS mixes have been worse than DD mixes on music DVDs (e.g. The Who's The Kids Are Alright springs to mind), IMO. The speaker channelling on this DVD is second to none: all speakers are fully active throughout the concert. Pete Townshend actually was the sound consultant on this DVD so that might have had a positive effect on the sound mixing. :)

AricB

Second Unit
I'm liking the white stripes dvd, not a vision of sight or sound, but kind of keeps with their stripped down vibe. no frills, just 2 people rocking out, shot with 8mm, so its grainy.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The Band - The Last Waltz
The Concert for George
Down from the Mountain
R.E.M. - Perfect Square
Neil Finn and Friends - Seven Worlds Collide
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
The Who - Live at the Royal Albert Hall
The Rolling Stones - Four Flicks
Metallica - Cunning Stunts

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
My personal favs that I own are:

John Mayer - Any Given Thursday, it just seems cool I haven't tried it in my HTS yet, but I've played it on my laptop with two speakers and a sub and it sounds good that way. The video is nice, John's stage pressance (sp?) is very good, he's kind of like that friend of yours that's up on stage playing some music, chatting between songs and you feel he could pick on you at any moment. I like that it comes across nice on the DVD.

Secondly I just got the Los Lonely Boys - Texican Style - Live From Austin Texas. Really nice video quality, nice widescreen. Really nice sound on it, hearing Henry Garza play some sweet leads on my system sounds really good, I could hear the cymbals every so often in the back two speakers, but nothing over powering back there, mainly keeping it up front, but still filling the house with a nice sound. Not ear splitting sound either.

There are some others that I have that I like but they're not as good as these two for me...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'll second (3rd? 4th?) the DMB and Zep DVDs, as well as Taylor/Beacon Theater. I'll add: Aimee Mann's new DVD/CD combo, great set and great sound. Yo-Yo Ma has one called Appalachian Waltz which sounds fantastic if you're into his music.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I really dig the Toto:25 Anniversary Live in Amsterdam DVD.
The video is pretty descent but could have done a better job in that dept. The audio , OTOH, is what this disc is all about :D The DTS track is amazing. Every band member's instrument can be heard with great fidelity.
Simon Philips drums will put your sub through it's paces.

Since this concert was shot with high def cameras, I sure hope they re-release this performance on either HD-DVD or
BLU-RAY disc .

Who at Toto would be the right folks to mention that we would like to see this Amsterdam dvd released in high def when the format comes to market?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
troy

Ryan_McG

Grip
I have to agree with Philboy, U2's Rattle and Hum is an incredible sounding live DVD. Check out "With or Without you" The drum track is absolutelyoutstanding, one of the very best I have heard!

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Phil Collins - Finally... The First Farewell Tour.

A wonderful performance by all... Great tunes. Good dts sound. A few compression anomalies, but totally enjoyable.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
My votes go to:

The Complex Rock Tour by the Blue Man Group

and

Rammstein: Live Aus Berlin

both are great mixes with great music and incredible stage shows, saw The Complex live and must say I nearly cried with joy when it made it to DVD...sooo much better than trying to describe it to friends and co-workers.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

I think the word you're looking for is "aurally". "Acoustically" isn't quite right, I think.

Consider the poster's expressed liking of Pink Floyd, I'm surprised no one's mentioned David Gilmour yet. You wouldn't believe that Comfortably Numb could sound interesting on acoustic guitar, but it does work.

cliff_andrews

Auditioning
Great Topic,

I have added some DVD's to my list - notably the
Heart Live DVD. My favorites include:

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (mentioned)

Orbisons - Black & White (mentioned)

Diana Krall Live in Paris (mentioned)

Concert For George - (NOT Mentioned)
Eric Clapton is the musical Director, he doesn't steal the
show, but his performance on a few numbers is outstanding.
If you are a George Harrison or Beatles fan, this is a must have.........Kliph

FeisalK

Screenwriter
I just watched the Concert for George.

Awesome show, great sound and pictures but most of all very touching.

Monty Python mooning (_|_) The Royal Albert Hall is a must watch, and did anyone spot Tom Hanks as a Python...

isnt While My Guitar.. one of the most haunting melodies ever

wow

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
i'd highly reccomend the new lamb of god dvd "Killadelphia" as it shows both a great show, and a raw no holds bared look at life on the road.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I will third the Toto: 25th Anniversary Live in Amsterdam DVD. For anyone who thinks this band is solely a soft rock outfit, you will be surprised. Steve Lukather is an amazing guitarist anyway you look at it, although it's kind sad that the band is down to 2 original members.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks