What's new

Live Aid coming to DVD!! (1 Viewer)

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Very cool. I was only reading the other day about the related piracy thing over there in Blighty.

Now maybe I will get to see the whole of The Who set (as rough as it was but you can't keep a good fan down). On the day, our signal feed disappeared for most of it. I think it may have been a national thing.

And the Queen set rocked!

I have about 3 hours of the concert on VHS that's about to die. Can't wait to see all the acts I'd forgotten played.

N

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I wish it would include "Oz for Africa" which was on MTV prior to the start of Live Aid, which included Men At Work, The Little River Band, and INXS, as well as a bunch of cool bands most of us had never heard of (Dragon, Uncanny X-Men, etc.)

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
I was at the London show...Amazing day!!! My favs were The Rats, Ultravox, Nic Kershaw, U2,Dire Straits and Bowie/Thomas Dolby. When Queen played Radio Ga-Ga the crowd(70,000+) did that Hand/arm thing and not seeing it before was a sight to see.
I thought the Who was the weakest band that day/night. I do remember Pete falling on his ass during the set :D . I hope it is the complete show but if it isn't I will always have the memories...

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i hope it includes each artist's entire set, and not just the bits that were broadcast. i know here in the states, we never saw the style council at all, and only one or two songs from some sets, like paul young's. i want to see every minute of every performance, whether it went over the air or not.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I too hope they intend to release the whole sets rather than only what was broadcast. I still remember the DJ on the station that was simulcasting the show (this was before cable was in stereo, so they were simulcasting the audio feed to radio stations). He was screaming in pain when they decided to cut away from David Bowie's set to someone else on the other continent.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

I agree that The Who weren't very good, but Bob Dylan, anyone? I think hysterical suppression has made us forget just how embarrassingly awful he was. A major event about the starving millions in Ethiopia, so what does he do? Go on about how if there's any money left over, it should be given to American farmers down on their luck. WHAAAT? I know there was a serious crisis for some American farmers and it merited sympathy, but there's a time and a place for comments like that, and there's a little difference between financial destitution and dying a slow painful death from hunger. And to follow that with what was IMHO a shambolic musical performance destroyed whatever residual respect I had for the man.

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if Led Zeppelin made it really difficult to license their performance from Live Aid, as Jimmy is definitely not too proud of their performance that day, and most of their fans consider it to have been one of their weaker performances. Otherwise we would probably have had that footage already on the Zeppelin DVD release from last year.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I remember getting up at 4am (Pacific Time) to tape the whole show starting with OZ for Africa. I also remember having to switch from MTV to Fox to try to get as much as possible (the Black Sabbath set comes to mind).

It would be cool if the Amnesty International show would get an eventual release as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks