What's new

Lily Tomlin Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

nobajoba

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
Malcolm, thank you for starting this thread. I LOVE Lily Tomlin. I have been a fan since I was a tot watching her do "ringy-dingies" on Laugh In. She is extremely underated as a talent and living legend. She has 3 of the Big 4 in the awards dept! She has a Grammy, Emmy and Tony awards and was nominated for the Oscar. Oh so close!!!
My reason's for loving Lily are, in my book, obvious. She has talent, pure and simple. She doesn't rely on costumes or gimmick's. Sure on Laugh In she and the cast were dressed in wacky outfits and wigs. But Tomlin went to to show she didn't need them to make us fall in love with her characters. She did, and still does, live stage shows bringing all of her colorful cast to life with NO props or costumes. She uses just her voice and body and physical movements to bring the stage alive with everyone from Madame Lupe, the oldest living beauty expert, to Lucille the rubber freak, to a little girl named Edith Ann and an former telephone operator with a major attitude that now works for the health insurance industry denying claims to everyone calling in.
Like you, I have had the great honor of meeting Ms Tomlin and she is indeed gracious, friendly, down to earth and accessible to her fans. Yet another reason to admire her in an age of less talented younger celebs who act like the visiting Queen who is not to be bothered.
Anyway, I don't know if anyone will even be reading this but I just to had to reply after finding this forum and the HTF site.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Lily has some fun comedy albums, several of which are available on CD.
Love her Minnesota Home duet with Meryl Streep in the movie Prairie Home Companion.
I also enjoyed her guest appearances on Will & Grace as Will's boss, Margot. The episode called "Partners" where she has a dinner party with Buck Henry as her wimpy husband is a riot.
She is one of those performers who has been a part of my life for so long I feel like she is a friend.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I was lucky enough to see her do SIGNS OF INTELLIGENT LIFE in DC many years ago. She was also incredibly gracious and very funny when she received an honorary degree here at University of Richmond a few years back. I agree her work with Robert Altman was her best. Most recently she was incredible in the 3rd season of DAMAGES. Glad to hear they are putting together a definitive version of SIGNS OF INTELLIGENT LIFE. The film version that came out about two decades ago really did not do the piece justice.
Lily is number one in my book. And that's the truth.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hey, Todd, welcome to HTF!
I'm a fan of Lily, and like Jim, I saw her do The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe live on stage. I'm interested in hearing more about this new version that is coming out.

nobajoba

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
Thank you Steve. I love the site and the forums....seems like a great place to get info from fellow fans. I'm also glad I was able to bring some life to this thread : )

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Spotify just paid for itself this month. I just found her comedy albums to stream. You can't even get them at Amazon.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
You are most certainly not alone in your adoration of Lily Tomlin. I have Big Business in my collection, and must watch it again. She is without a doubt not only one of my favorite female actors, but one of my favorite actors period. Though I'm not certain I could put her quite in the same category as the incomparable Carol Burnett or Lucille Ball, she occupies a space much closer to them than most other comediennes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks