What's new

Let It Be Naked-First Review (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
This CD is fantastic... The style is 'classic' beatles ("Please Please Me"), but the audio is just so much cleaner than the older recordings...

I cant say much about SoundQuality (I use my crappy computer speakers or just my Portable CD Player).

Highly recommend it!

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

Absolutely. I can't believe the ignorance being spewed in this thread. Spector is responsible for some of the finest moments in popular music. This is the man who inspired Brian Wilson to do Pet Sounds, for God's sake. Show some respect.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
The second disc is being advertised as a "fly on the wall" disc, consisting of about 20 minutes of conversation, bits of songs etc. from the LIB rehearsals.

I don't really have much of an opinion, one way or the other, about Phil Spector in general. But in fairness to him, he was asked by the group - except for Paul - to turn the LIB tapes into an album after the Beatles - all of them - rejected Glyn Johns's versions of the album. And at least John - not sure about George and Ringo - approved of his work afterwards.

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
After sitting through 15/19 hours of Let It Be outtakes I am thrilled to hear the new version of the album. I heard bits and pieces on the radio yesterday and they sounded quite good. I had hoped to have made it through the entire 16-CD set of the sessions but I don't think I'll get it done by tomorrow. I had also planned on reviewing Lewisohn's Recording Sessions during the period prior to listening but that looks like it won't get done either.

From one of the "newer" Beatles fans (I'm 26) that wasn't around at the time of the original release, I can say that as bad as things have always been made out to be, when they were sitting around, they were still able to joke and jam like they did early in their career.

As has been said, the 2nd CD is conversation/jamming and they picked some rather good moments though there is TONS more of that type of stuff.

The new version WILL be available on Limited Edition vinyl. Last I heard you could only get it in the UK so Amazon.co.uk should have it.

Cheers!
Bill

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Suffice it to say, Phil Spector did not do exactly what they intended, but his mark is still on the new Let It Be Naked album.

The edited version of I me mine is still there, but without orchestra. If it weren't for him, I me mine would still be 1:10 song.
Also, Dig a pony still has the PS edits, taking out the "All I want is you" in the intro and ending.
So I take it, he did SOME things McCartney did not mind.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the second CD is a little over twenty minutes of studio chatter and fragments of songs. As the first disc is only around 35 minutes in length, I'm assuming the reason for the second CD is that it was done for two reasons: 1) Marketing. Make people think that they're getting more than they are, and 2) So as not to piss off those folks who like to shuffle their tracks and who would then have to constantly skip past the long "fly on the wall" track.

The second disc is fun for one listen, but I can't see myself giving it another spin.

The first disc will be spun many times. "I've Got a Feeling" is an especially rocking track. I don't miss "Dig It" or "Maggie May" that much, as they were kind of filler to begin with. It's amazing when you realize how much tape they recorded during these sections only to struggle to find 35 minutes of usable takes. I can't say as I enjoy the film as such, but it is an interesting watch, if only because the viewer can experience a taste of the frustration that was running rampant through the band around this time. They really were all heading in different directions. I think they would have self-destructed with or without Yoko and Linda.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, whilst Rubber Soul was indeed an influence on Pet Sounds, Phil Spector was also a huge influence on Brian Wilson. Wilson adored Spector's "Wall of Sound" method of production and tried to emulate it on Pet Sounds. Some say he was able to take it further than Spector ever did. Regardless of the sad state of Spector's life, modern music would be totally different if not for him.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
One thing that was not addressed, will Apple delete the Phil Spector Let It Be and make this the official Let It Be?

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

Exactly. Rubber Soul was just the competition, something that he had to top. Phil Spector was an idol to Brian Wilson, and someone he very much tried to emulate, to the point of even recruiting some of the same musicians for Pet Sounds. You could definitely call Pet Sounds a "Spector-esque" album. It would be a real stretch to call it "Beatle-esque".

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I'm just going by what BW has stated. While Spector influenced the layering and technical studio aspect of Pet Sounds, it was the Beatles who influenced BW in the art of the album as a cohesive whole. Certainly Pet Sounds is revered as much for its wholeness as for its technical prowess.

That being said, The Beatles, Brian Wilson, and Phil Spector are all GIANTS. (The Beatles are just the most giant. :D)

DanFe

Second Unit
While some here seem to want to deify Spector, it seems to me that the reason the material was redone in the first place was because McCartney and Starr didn't like what was done in 69 and that the original plan back then was to return to their roots (so to speak). Spector may have had his say with Wilson and others, but in this case he shouldn't have been allowed to be in the studio.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
I just picked it up. There's a message inside thanking me for buying the music and asking me not to use the internet to share music. Is this on all CDs now? I haven't purchased a CD in a while (Tenacious D's Album was the last one I got)

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked my copy up as well. I can't find anywhere that says that, just select CD's?

On a related note, I also picked up Starsailor's new one, Silence Is Easy. Not until I got back to work did I read the sticker on the front of the jewel case: "Copy Controlled"

This is the first disc of this type I've encountered and I paid $23 for it since it's only available on import! If it doesn't play on every single CD player I have it's going back!

Anyone here have any experience with the new Copy Protected CDs?

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks