What's new

LCD Video Noise (1 Viewer)

Adam,

The native resolution of your set is 1366 x 768. I have the KLV-S26A10. This is a very, very fine set, though it took me a while to calibrate it.

Also, because the set's resolution is so high, and it is a fixed pixel display, it is going to be far less forgiving than say a regular CRT unit. Flaws in the picture will be more easily visible, but when HD-DVD comes out, the picture will be that much more stunning and clear.

The ideal settings for this set for me are:

Picture Mode: Pro
Picture (Contrast): Maximum (with the light sensor set to "ON" in the "SETUP part of the Settings menu; this adjusts the contrast of the display via an ambient room light sensor)
Brightness: 53
Color: 45
Hue: 0
Sharpness: Min
Color Temp: Neutral
CineMotion: On
Black Corrector: Off
NR: Off
Backlight: Max

What settings are you using???

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Noise Reduction algorithms can work well, but usually they are complicated to implement I wouldn't particulatly use them as found in cheaper consumer gear. Better NR processing can work nicely, but there is some loss of image detail at the same time that the mosquito noise can be stabilized. If you are going to use NR processing, use it very very sparingly, and go back and forth to compare paying especially close attention to facial details. You may decide that the loss in good detail may outwiegh the loss of the "bad" detail (noise) in the picture.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Randall,

Thanks for those settings. I went ahead and tried them in the Pro mode for DVDs since it kindly saves different modes for us.

My settings I've been using and like are the following:

Standard Picture Mode
Picture 85
Brightness 52
Color 52
Hue 0
Sharpness 10
Color Temp Neutral
Cinemotion On
Black Corrector Off
NR Between Low and Medium
Backlight 5
I do not use the Light Sensor.

I switched back and fourth with our settings and they aren't far off. Mine has a bit more color perhaps.

I was wondering, does actually selecting Pro or Normal make a difference? I thought (Maybe mistakingly) that each setting was a Preset and if you made any adjustments, each setting could actually be identical. Or is there actually a BASE DIFFERENCE in the settings between Normal, Pro, etc?

I had stop worrying about the NR, once I realized it was just my sources that look good or bad. The TV is fine. It's just showing every flaw or any bad transfer my DVDs have. :)

I have the same problem. The TV is so clear, I can even see flaws in HD broadcasts through my cable box. Your best bet is set the sharpness to minimum (to eliminate any artificially induced noise), and lengthen viewing distance a little.

I can't wait for Blu-ray discs - they really should look amazing on this display.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks