What's new

LAND OF THE GIANTS! - Where Are You? (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Actually I don't consider the price per episode that bad at all. Deep Discount price $140.00 divided by 51 episodes is $2.74 an episode and thats looking at all the packaging and other extras on disc and in the box as free. The Columbia House price was $7.25 an episode and no extras.
The doubled-sided disc factor is a non-factor for me I have well over 200 of them including at least 100 Universal DVD-18's and they all play fine on 3 different players and did so on 2 players that I no longer have. I have only had 4 defective DVD's and they were all DVD-9's, 2 of them Star Trek discs but I'm not afraid of DVD-9's either.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
So Far I have had no problems with any DVDs I own, Single or Double Sided. I have Two DVD Players on in my Living Room and one in my Bedroom. The one on the Living Room TV is EXTREMELY Sensitive to Scratches or Dirt, while the other plays anything I can toss at it.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Many people have said this until they hit a bad one. Usually it is one of those awful Univeral discs though.

I just got the Hammer set from them. and all my machines refuse to play the second film on either disc, on either side of each...except my Panasonic, which plays them no trouble.

However, a scan of the disc reveals that they have a whole bunch of bad sectors with CRC errors around the layerchange point! Not good!

It's not scratches or dirt, the discs are pristine.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
It was always the Universal discs that caused me a world a trouble. The ones from Fox and Warner worked fine. There was one exception to the Warner one, a double sided disc in Wonder Woman season 3 had a problem but that was the only one other than Universals' and I have gotten all the Voyage To The Bottom Of The Seas so far, Time Tunnel, Bob Newhart show.

So I am willing to give double sided discs from Fox for LOTG a try. I wouldn't if the company were Universal.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I've had problems with my Hammer set on my set top player. They play less badly on my PC.

I had problems with the LotR double sided dvds. Replacements didn't help at all. But those play perfectly on my PC.

So far Emergency Season 1 has played perfectly. I scratch one DVD that I already viewed so I don't know if that's effected it.

Two episodes in, the Flipper Season 1 dvds play flawlessly.

I have an old RCA set top player. Definately a POS. Need replacing. My PC has a really good Sony burner I use as a player.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Wait a minute, hold on .... are you telling me the Put Flipper on a "Flipper" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I find it interesting that with the exception of the double-sided discs, Land of the Giants is getting first-class treatment. Yet we are getting interviews instead of comentaries. I am not looking for commentaries on on every episode. Why does Fox refuse to do commentaries on any of their classic shows?

Duane Alford

Second Unit

Of all the Universal shows I have I only have a problem with one episode of Battlestar Galactica where it freezes up. But, it didn't do it the first time I watched it. However I got a defective disc from Fox in Season 4 of In Living Color. There was a spot that won't play two entire episodes.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I'm glad someone said it, or I would have been the first. LOST IN SPACE is the Number One Allen property with the most fanfare and popularity, if any of their series can claim this. To me it makes no sense to devote this type of special treatment for LAND OF THE GIANTS (!!??). Hey, I don't mind LOTG....it was okay.... but LIS is the one I'd like to see re-done in this new definitive treatment. When Fox was releasing LOST IN SPACE I was pleased just that they'd manage to finish the entire series, but the old masters were a disgrace, I can fully say now.

Hopefully a complete and remastered LOST IN SPACE COLLECTION is coming too, though if Fox is gauging it on sales for LOTG, that may be unfair and unrealistic.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Here we go again, Randy! :)

I hope your luck continues to hold out for years to come and through whatever other players you buy in your future, because as I've told you (and someone else here wrote) eventually it seems that those lousy discs show their true colors. When the day inevitably comes (as happened to me with the HAMMER HORROR COLLECTION and BELA LUGOSI COLLECTION after my always boasting how I never had any bad DVD-18s) it is a rude awakening! :frowning:

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Yup. And even with my HAMMER and LUGOSI nightmares, my Universal AIRPORT collection and ABBOTT & COSTELLO collections all played great... at least they all have so far!

Doug^Ch

Second Unit

I used to say the same thing; but not any more. I now can say that I have had multiple problems, and I have many unopened sets of DVD-18s. Who knows if they are even playable at this point. There are too many TV ond DVD sets to collect now so I no longer feel that I have to bother with double-sided discs.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I got the Airport Collection as well and had no trouble with it.

I have to agree about LiS. That's damn weird! I'm loving the show on DVD, but to have nothing on there but shows is damn strange when this LotG set has everything and a bag of chips.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
An Irwin Allen fan friend of mine has a theory (I collect these shows as part of my general love for classic TV).

He said a lot of Land Of The Giants was put out on DVD through Columbia House and many fans bought what was available there.

So, he thinks that this deluxe treatment is to sweeten the pot for those fans to repurchase what they partially have.

As far as Lost In Space, I guess, at the time, Fox figured that 1" video 90's era transfers would suffice. I but such recent transfers did not exist for Time Tunnel and Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea so they had to do new ones.

Yes, I'd like to see LIS in the same quality transfers that Time Tunnel and Voyage To The Bottom Of The sea got.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
If I remember correctly, all of Irwin Allen's shows wiere remastered in the early 90s. Voyage was the only show that was not remastered. Fox decided not to re-master Lost in Space for dvd but did do another re-mastering of Time Tunnel and Land of the Giants for their dvd releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks