What's new

LAND OF THE GIANTS! - Where Are You? (1 Viewer)

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
again I say, I really don't get why this series gets preferential treatment over the probably better known and more popular Voyage.

Perhaps Fox feel that they must appeal to the niche market, those who like Irwin Allen, rather than the mass market they have apparently aimed the half-season sets at.

It;s just damn annoying to have to wait for two years to get all of Voyage!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm not liking that. Way over-priced. I hope it sells well, but I'll be holding on to my money until a price drop. I'd be happy with the shows on DVD and that's it.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I wonder if Netflix will carry them, I like them enough to watch them, not enough to spread out that amount of Dough.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Looks like I'll be forking over the dough for this one! The "Spindrift" Keychain will look good on my Christmas Tree! :D

All in all it looks like I'll be spending almost $500 on new DVDs this summer. Considering what's happening on TV next year, it will be MORE than worth it!

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The set sure looks great, although that's a damn big box for those discs (which I guess is in keeping with the 'Giants' theme). Still wish they weren't using double-sided discs, but apart from that, I have to say I am impressed.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Programming and Ads, which already Suck, will become EVEN WORSE! :angry: (It has to do with an event that happens every two years, and it aint the Olympics!) ;)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This set looks awesome. I will definately be getting this. My favorite Irwin Allen show as a kid and 2nd only to Voyage now. Can't wait. I agree that Voyage should have received this treatman as well but at least the whole series is still coming and the remastered episodes look great.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Randy, I agee that this one looks first-class. I'm on the fence about this series due to the $$. It wasn't my favorite Irwin Allen series (mine was Time Tunnel) but Fox is releasing this one (except for Flippers) the way I'd like to see a TV/DVD set released. Tough decision....maybe I can pick this one up at DDD's summer sale, if the sale is still going in July.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Yes, this is a very imaginative complete series release designed in stylishly retroactive fashion, much better than I had envisioned when I read the latest press release. I'm wondering now if the disc menus will be more elaborate than the static and somewhat simple VTTBOTS menus.

A terrible shame about the double sided discs, though--what a waste. I can well imagine equally wonderful looking picture discs had Fox just had enough foresight to realize that a lavish package as this just begs for individual cast member photos adorning the far more reliable DVD-9s. If it weren't for the dual sided discs I think I'd spring for this at Deepdiscount sale time. As it is, it's going to have to be a deep, deep discount, like the aforementioned $59.99 price.

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
A lot of people on here trash LAND OF THE GIANTS and I know I'm in the minority because I've always been a big fan, not only is it my favorite Irwin Allen series, but my favorite TV show as a kid. The DVD set looks cool, wonder if Valerie comes along with that little cage box, heh-heh.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I missed that bit of info. :frowning: What a bummer. I just scratched one of my Emergency! DVDs last weekend. Hated that! I definately won't be getting these any time soon.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Double sided discs are the only thing that keep me from this. I wouldnt wink an eye at the money, if they gave me the best product for my money!
I still have my Land of the Giants lunch box from 1st grade, in 1970. I used that box all the way through 6th grade, although no one knew the show by then. One of my damn sisters broke the thermos in that last year i used it, other than that it still looks good.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
One cool detail on the packaging is that the box looks worn around the edges, as if it was an old toy package. Little things like that say that the set is being done right, with an eye toward detail.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Put me on the "I would have picked this set up in a heartbeat if they weren't using double sided discs club."

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I remember breaking my Hong Kong Phooey thermos in the 1st grade. Damn I cried! And I was thirsty too. :frowning:

Sam-That's something I liked too. the Worn around the edges look.

But 9 double-sided DVDs. My God... :frowning: Buyers should make sure they have the customer service phone number.

If this was about $80 or less street I'd buy it asap. 50 episodes is a lot though. It'll probably be the highest cost per episode set for everybody who buys it...I guess..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks