What's new

Keep Commercials off DVD! Sign linked Petition in Post #76 (1 Viewer)

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Doug,

Good point. I have edited the draft above to reflect a somewhat more "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" ending. Does that read a little less "abrupt"?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I suppose an alternative approach is a hardware solution.

We've all heard about remastering discs with software such as DVD-Shrink. The debate about this is really a subject for a different thread. But when you get a disc from Netflix, for example, the process of 'shrink'ing it is long and tedious.

What we need is a 'rogue' manufacturer to make a DVD player that ignores a variety of the IFO commands - such as anything disabling remote and/or front panel controls.

Does such an animal exist?

Remember, this would benefit many of us beyond skipping offensive commercials, but also being able to menu-skip past long animations as we navigate menus (many of those are also skip-disabled, after all.)

Leo Kerr

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
sorry if this has been mentioned before, but i noticed that once i get to the menu past the ads, at least. instead of starting the movie with "play" i go to the scene access menu and start from the first scene.

this always bypasses the fbi warnings and goes right into the movie.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
Contact Buena Vista in the USA and inform them that Alliance Atlantis adds a FORCED COMMERCIAL to "their product" (remember it's not AA's product - they only take care of distribution in Canada - although some Miramax, Dimension DVDs are handled by Buena Vista Canada). I did this with New Line when Blade II was released and complained about the lack of available copies after my distributor was sold out for EIGHT weeks. I do have another email address for someone at AA (senior guy) but I'll have to dig it up. Buena Vista USA may certainly frown upon this practice and may end up having a "chat" with AA.

Remember AA only distributes Miramax product in Canada - they don't make it. They take the DVD, add a French language track and then sell it to us Canadians. The DVD content is usually the same. I don't recall the last time they dropped any special features (from the top of my head, the last one being The Running Man and the dropped DTS track).

Just to confirm: there is no Pontiac Montana SV6 commercial on the DVD if bought anywhere in the USA?

Remember, don't email Alliance Atlantis to scream at them. It's counterproductive. Besides do you think they care? No. They'll just hit "DELETE". There are plenty of other consumers who continue to buy and rent Finding Neverland and simply won't bat an eyelid. Money talks my friends. It's all about the bottom line.

"Buy Finding Neverland today on DVD. Sponsored by the new Pontiac Montana SV6" :rolleyes

Ever notice this happens way too often? :crazy::crazy: Disgusting habit. Reminds me of the book Jennifer Government. :crazy:

"Here's the weather forecast....brought to you by So and So's Heating and Air Conditioning...." :thumbsdown:

Christian

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

That I have not done no matter how tempted I may have been, personal ethics. Really stretching the forum rules on this topic of discussion....and I am guilty in this thread as well.

Writing the offending company is the best solution IMO.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp

The petition is at your mailbox in the form of physical letters to the marketing departments at the studios telling them why you are not buying products you otherwise would have bought.

That is the kind of thing that gets there attention.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Agreed, actual handwritten/typed letters make a bigger impact than the comparatively easy e-mail or online petition...not that those things don't also have an impact but IMO a physical letter speaks more to a corporation, "wow, these people actually took the time to write a letter...I guess they really mean it!"...that's the theory at any rate.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Yes, but how does one circulate a written petition among the far-flung HT enthusiasts on the continent?

I'll get the on-line petition going as soon as I can get my internet connection (I'm at a web-cafe) up and going again, and can track down the name of the head of their USA division..

Edit: I guess I could see if the managers of the local Future Shop and Blockbusters would let me have a petition there, in addition to the online one, and I can email Future shop and Blockbuster head-offices and ask for all their stores to circulate one..

Don't know if that will fly, though.. We'll see..

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Man.. This is frustrating..

Who do I adress the petition to?

Alliance, Miramax, Universal?

The customer service girl who emailed me back (I emailed Allience) signed off thusly:

Best Regards,
Kerry-Ann Holtom
Universal Studios/Alliance Atlantis Video
Customer Service Coordinator

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

First you can set up an online petition, then you specify in that petition that a handwritten letter is very helpful and will likely have more impact, then you provide the relevant address and get as many people as you can to write these personal letters to said company. Does it take extra work and perhaps a bit of money? Yes. Does it have a larger impact than a simple (and dime a dozen IMO) online petition or E-Mail? IMO absolutely. However at the end of the day will it have any effect at all? .....that is up to the company.

Mike D

Stunt Coordinator

I believe Alliance Atlantis is responsible for offering this particular advertising opportunity.

Michael MacMillan
Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
Alliance Atlantis Communications Inc.
121 Bloor St. East, Suite 1500
Toronto, Ontario
M4W 3M5
tel: 416-967-1174
fax: 416-960-0971
(if you call and can't get him ask for Victoria Gormley or Erica Lewis (see earlier post) in the Home Video division)

GM Canada is also a culprit for buying the ad, and possibly for stipulating its forced nature, but lobbying them to pull their ads may be less effective to our cause, as other advertisers could easily replace them.

Nevertheless, if we can ensure that advertising on dvds generates bad publicity for the advertisers, they may decide not to go that route. We need more articles like Ebert's criticizing this deplorable practice. Ask popular websites to editorialize about this. Send a letter to your newspaper editors. Write GM and tell them you own a Montana with the DVD entertainment system option but you may have to return it as the joke is getting old fast.

General Motors of Canada Limited
1908 Colonel Sam Drive
Oshawa, Ontario
L1H 8P7
1-800-263-3777

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I have been motivated to proaction by what I see as a truly discusting practice..

Please refer to my post:

"I've gotten my first glimpse of the the future of DVD :frowning:"

To get the whole story..

But here is the text of the petition, which sums it up nicely:

On March 22, 2005 the DVD of Finding Neverland was released to consumers. The Canadian distributor, Alliance Atlantis, saw fit to deviate from the American release by including an advertisement for a GM vehicle before the menu screen. Much to the disappointment of consumers, this advertisement disables all navigation functions effectively forcing consumers to watch the offending ad each time the disc is loaded.

We the undersigned abhor the practice of including paid advertising on any DVD released to consumers. We would petition Alliance Atlantis to discontinue this practice on any future DVD, and would ask that the Finding Neverland DVD be reissued without the offending advertisement. This would most certainly garner consumer good will, and facilitate further profit (while continuation of this practice would have the contrary effect). Further, should contractual obligations prevent the immediate discontinuation of this abominable practice, we would ask that any advertisement be placed under an appropriate menu option and the DVD packaging clearly indicate the presence of this "feature". Failing that, we intend on a boycott of all future product by your company, via both the internet and interpersonal awareness (similar to Circuit City's DIVX). This unfortunate measure would only hurt everyone involved; you would potentailly lose business (often in favor of your competitors that don't utilize said practice), and we would no longer be enjoying the quality we have come to expect from you. Obviously, we both win by addressing and dealing with the issue in question. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

Would you sign my petition?

http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/Alliance/

I am also taking steps to contact what media I may, and will try and get retailers like Blockbusters and Future Shop to allow me to get the petetions in their stores..

Thanks for your support!!!

Terry H

Second Unit
Well, I signed it and recommeded a few other people sign also. However...

A little feedback: I could not find a place to see the signatures or even how many people had signed the petition.

The ultimate irony, sign the petition complaining about advertisers and it takes you to an advertisement. :frowning: I couldn't decide if I should laugh or cry. ;)

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky

I dunno if it's just the guy who starts the petition, Terry, but I went to "control panel", and "database", and that allowed me to see the signitures, etc..

Only 24 so far.. :frowning:

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Only 24 so far.. :frowning:

Not exactly the numbers that will have them quaking in their boots.. :)

Please do sign if you can..

I'll try and hit up those retailers I mentioned when I head down to Vancouver..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks