What's new

Just What Kind Of Movie is House of Wax? (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Ok, now for the big question, any good horror movie skin to be seen or is it just all tease and gore?

Jonathan T.

Stunt Coordinator
I dont always agree with ebert (his reviews of the lord the rings movies were insulting) but I usually do.

In this case I don't. On a horror movie scale, this movie should get four stars. As a horror movie it does everything we expect it to and it does those things very well indeed. I watched it with a couple of friends the night before halloween, and I tell ya I was scared shitless. If we hadn't followed it up with a viewing of "The Bogeyman", I would have had a hard time driving home alone. I have a pretty active imagination! Thankfully the bogeyman, with its totally ridiculous and incomrehensible storyline, and retarded remake of "The Haunting" style ending displaced my short term memory of the house of was just long enough to make it home to bed...

So what is the recipe for a good horror movie and does house of wax have it?

1.) creepy setting -check
2.) good build-up with (obvious) mis-directon? -check
3.) charcaters that are dumb enough that we wont be sad when they die? -check
4.) gore? -check
5.) scary villians that arent revealed until the end -check
6.) "jump" moments -check
7.) suspense moments -check
8.) and ending that doest throw the whole movie down the toilet? -check

so its not the excorist (and IMO the exorcist is a "horror/drama", not a true horror movie.) but its a damn fine scare fest that doesnt ruin everything with a silly ending, unlike the house on haunted hill, The Haunting, The Bogeyman. And it doesnt leave you with unanswered questions like er, the bogeyman (did ANYONE understand that story?) or Jeepers Creepers (where the **** did that *** **** creeper come from anyway? I wanna know where the ******* thing came from. I felt cheated by that movie.

Oh and about Paris Hilton. She does what she is supposed to do, and dare I say it she seems to put a lot more effort into it that shes done in her other films. (not that I've seen them, but if i had i would know that she essentially just lays there and answers her cell phone a couple times....)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
When you call a movie "House of wax" you should get to the House of Wax in the first hour! 1hr of boring attempts at character building. If the effect is to make us dislike these characters and their mediocre acting actors, then it succeeds and we all want them to die. But I'm guessing that isn't really the case.

So the film is 1 hour of needless, dull boredom, followed by 45 minutes of exciting decently bad film. Then a really bad "twist" ending-ending that falls flat.

Unless thats some kind of joke; the family has three boys: Horribly mangled, bad, and a really nice one thats helps people)

So, it would be your average mediocre scary movie, but the first hour is so pointless, and overlong it really drags the film back to bad-movie territory.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I liked this movie. It was passable and fun with no ill effects.

The scene's that got me were when the one dude lost his head and as the killer dragged his body away, the head was still blinking! :eek: And when the house was melting, that was just a plain ol' icky mess!

:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks