What's new

Just came back from seeing/buying new Sony rear-projection LCD (1 Viewer)

What changed my mind was viewing a DLP front projector from a company called Optoma.
I wish DLP could be an option for me but the technology has some serious drawbacks as my wife is one of the unlucky that can easily spot the dreaded rainbows. Regardless of of front or rear projection DLP it didn't make sense to subject my wife or anyone else to DLP's unfortunate side effect(s).

Sad because I really like the 1280x720 native resolution of the Samsung DLPs.

BTW - my KF50WE610 was $2850 delivered.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Tommy - I share your concern regarding the dreaded rainbow effect - they seem to have pretty well eliminated it on this model - but if you are very sensitive no doubt it may still be evident. I noticed it as I was looking away from the screen during a scene from 2001 when the Pan Am shuttle was heading in the direction of the earth - the white object against a black background caused that effect for me,however, viewing the screen as we normally do I never saw anything but a great image. It had a mesmerizing effect in that I just wanted to keep watching more movies!

Andy Kim

Second Unit
I saw the 42" LCD at the Sony Store today and it was enough to convince me to save my pennies rather than buy a conventional rear projection now.
It was amazing!

I caught a glimpse of the 70" XBR and the only thing that woke me up from its trance was its $7000 price tag. Ouch!

The XBR casing is a major improvement over the somewhat basic look of my 50WE610 and I was really envious of that front firewire input for DV camcorders. :)

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Yup, this TV rocks.

Having seen the Panasonic RLCDs, I'd say they're even in quality, with perhaps a slight edge going to the Panny.

DennisF

Grip
I actually prefer the GW case over the XBR case. This unit will never use its speakers, so I don't want the 4-5" "wings" on either side of the screen.

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
so, just speaking generally, what are the disadvantages to RP LCD's ?? (compared to DLP)

The prices seem reasonable and the reviews here are energetic!! D

so, just speaking generally, what are the disadvantages to RP LCD's ?? (compared to DLP)
The lack of native PC support on most LCD RPTVs might be an irritant to some.

Stuck pixels; while not totally uncommon in DLP, are more likely to appear in LCD sets.

There has been some controversy over LCD and DLP longetivity with the test of front projectors. I believe it was a year long 24/hour a day torture test (totally unrealistic for home use) in which DLP retained a lot more of its original quality compared to the LCD projectors. Someone mentioned that this may have been heat related since LCD is organic based. If thats the case then I would think these larger sets would have superior cooling compared to the portable front projectors. That and I don't run my TV 24/7.

I guess time will tell.

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks... how bad does the screen door effect come into play on the RP sets??

I would think it wouldn't be too bad as long as you stayed a reasonable distance from the screen.

I catch the screen door effect when I'm about 4ft away but I sit 9-10ft on my couch.

I have a stuck on blue pixel on my Sony 50" LCD but luckily I can't spot from about 5ft or so back even though I know where it is. I got a new 17" LCD monitor which also has a stuck blue pixel (lucky me) and irritates the hell out of me but then my face is about 2ft from the screen. :)

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
How about the vertical viewing angle??

Is the picture less-bright if you aren't eye level with the screen?? I wonder if DLP has the same issue??

David Galindo

Screenwriter
The horizonal angle of the DLPs are great...no brightness lost there. The vertical viewing angle aint so good. But its not too bad, either.

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I was going to buy a Samsung DLP set, but I now need to check out the Sony. But I am also one of those worried about burned out or stuck pixels. I have heard that the warranties don't cover you unless you have more than 5 or 10 stuck pixels, and while I may not notice 1 of them, I think I'd notice 5 or more of them. Anyone have any thoughts on the pixel issue other than what has already been expressed?

There is always the consideration that your (or someone else) could see the dreaded rainbow effect/problem. My wife couldn't watch the 46" Samsung DLP (2nd Gen.) for more than 5 seconds before she had to look away. I wanted the 46" DLP for the native PC support but I prefer the PQ of the latest Sony LCD RPTV and I feel better knowing that anyone coming over to watch TV will hopefully not be bothered by anything other than my choice in movies. :)

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
After reading this post today, I took a look at this new Sony product. BB had the 50" and Tweeter had the 42". They are awesome sets.

Tweeter had the new 70" XBR. I think that XBR only comes in 60 and 70". They just received it and set it up about 2 hours before I arrived there. It was interesting for me to see a display of that magnitude as I've been out of the market for a display device for about 3 years. The problem is, when I start looking, I may start spending. If i had the space for such a large display, it would be very tempting indeed. They quoted me a price of 6K on that one.

Actually, my favorite display they had in the showroom was the Panasonic TH-42PX20UP, which would be an appropriate screen size for my viewing room. However, if you compare the price at these B&M's of $2799 for the Sony LCD versus a price of $6399 on the Panasonic plasma, I think the choice for ME would be obvious.

The Sony is a real, nice display. Real nice. Much luck to the new owners. May all your pixels be alive and vibrant!!

Charles

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody know for sure how many pixels have to be out before it will be replaced???

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Does anybody know for sure how many pixels have to be out before it will be replaced???
As many as it takes before you get annoyed enough to replace it. Thats pretty much it...I dont think the whole TV would go out if there were a lot of dead pixels. It would just look bad close-up.

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
As many as it takes before you get annoyed enough to replace it. Thats pretty much it...I dont think the whole TV would go out if there were a lot of dead pixels. It would just look bad close-up.
I meant for it to be replaced under the WARRANTY.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Whoops :b

If you make it a big enough issue, they can replace a TV with as low as 2 dead pixels. Make sure your extremely angry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.