What's new

JFK Material on DVD (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Hi Eric. :)
I agree with you (above).
Another I'd like to have in the DVD Library is 1988's "JFK: In His Own Words". AKA: "LIFE In Camelot: The Kennedy Years" (HBO Video).
6301928199.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I have noticed that already CBS is making deals for some earlier documentaries to be released inexpensively on DVD.
Any possibility, I ponder, of getting the bulk (or at least several hours' worth) of the original Digitally Re-mastered "As It Happened" 11/22 footage placed onto DVD?
Whether it be CBS, NBC, or ABC coverage. All would be welcome by this writer. When I watch the very, very crisp and clear footage of the Jay Watson/Abraham Zapruder WFAA-TV interview on the "Image Of An Assassination" DVD [from MPI] it makes me thirst for more November 1963 TV coverage in DVD form. Obviously, based on that WFAA interview piece alone, some/most of these tapes haven't degraded too much to the point where they can't be rescued by Digital re-mastering. In fact, much of the original CBS-TV footage of that weekend still looks quite good even on the lowly ol' VHS format. Just imagine what it could look like after some DVD restoration. :)
I'd give an arm and a spleen for some of the network coverage in pristine DVD PQ. As well as the two very best JFK Documentaries of all time (IMO): 1964's
"Four Days In November" (with Richard Basehart) and 1964's "John F. Kennedy: Years Of Lightning/Day Of Drums" (with Gregory Peck). :)

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Are there any reviews on the DVD release of The Men Who Killed Kennedy ?
Thanks
Raymond

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Though it really doesn't stand a chance, ABC News's 1998 two-hour, Peter Jennings's-hosted and -narrated documentary Dangerous World: The Kennedy Years (inspired by Seymour Hershe's "expose" book from that year) would be nice. A friend taped it for me and I still have the tape — but I've never owned a VHS machine (you heard it first)!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Are there any reviews on the DVD release of The Men Who Killed Kennedy ?
There are 25+ Amazon customer reviews to be found here.

Another TMWKK Review.

IMO, The Men Who Killed Kennedy is a bunch of bunk. (But, then again, being an admitted "LNer" (Lone-Nutter :)), I guess I was bound to feel that way.) I felt it was rather bland & dry. But...to each his own, naturally.
The 2-Disc DVD version of TMWKK is still worth purchasing for some of the images contained therein. Plus, I got it really cheap @ DDD (before they raised it slightly recently). :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Another "Jackie" program worthy of DVD preservation is .....
6303149359.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Worthy of Digital status alone for the February 14, 1962, "Tour Of The White House With Mrs. John F. Kennedy". JFK himself appears briefly at the end of the "Tour".

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
David, I have the original two-volume DVD issue of the PBS American Experience installment of The Kennedys (which I was looking at only yesterday). My concern about a single-disc version would be a diminution of picture quality (as the version I have is superb in that regard).

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The 1993 Frontline special "Who Was Lee Harvey Oswald?" would also be nice to see on DVD.

I haven't kept up to speed of late, but I haven't really seen any good new assassination related documentaries period ever since "False Witness" which was 2000 and you'd have to go back to 1993 for good ones on the assassination itself.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
36617.jpg

It'll be interesting to see what (if anything) of a "new" nature is revealed in the above A&E production (hosted by CNN's Frank Sesno). According to the specs, there should be approx. 150 minutes of new (or "previously-unreleased", if you will) material on these discs; plus 2 "Biography" segments as well (which total another 150 minutes).
Special Features:
Exclusive Interviews with highly-placed insiders in JFK's administration, the CIA, and other agencies; Never-before-heard audio recordings from the White House and Robert F. Kennedy; Bonus features include two episodes of A&E's award-winning series Biography: John F. Kennedy: A Personal Story and Joseph Kennedy, Sr.: Father Of An American Dynasty.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
David, I have the original two-volume DVD issue of the PBS American Experience installment of The Kennedys ... My concern about a single-disc version would be a diminution of picture quality...
But wouldn't the new (1-disc) variant be a dual-layered disc, giving each two-hour program the same "breathing" space as on the 2 earlier individual releases?
Or: is a SS/SL disc always going to give better PQ than a SS/DL one? (Help out the ignorant here.) :)

nousername

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if the 3 missing frames have been reinserted in the latest versions of the Image of an Assassination: A New Look at the Zapruder Film DVD?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if the 3 missing frames have been reinserted in the latest versions of the Image of an Assassination: A New Look at the Zapruder Film DVD?
No...they have not.

There are actually 6 total frames missing (Frames 155-156 and 208-211).

The missing frames were lost forever very shortly after the assassination, when the film was mishandled and damaged by techs from LIFE magazine.

nousername

Supporting Actor
from Canada
The reviewer from Australia is incorrect in saying that the producers of this DVD (MPI Home Video) cannot be blamed for the three missing frames, as he claims that this loss of key frames was "reported" long ago. Allow me to clear this up his confusion: what the reviewer is referring to are the infamous six missing frames that LIFE Magazine says were "accidentally" destroyed in the 1960s. That is indeed a matter of historical record and acknowledged by both sides in the conspiracy debate (the dark splice is very visible in the four versions of the film on this DVD). But the MPI digital restoration team ALSO left out three more frames that are still in the original! MPI is aware of this and has informed researcher Robert Groden (seen interviewed in 1975 by Geraldo on the bonus features) that these frames will be included in future releases of this DVD. All three are located in the film after the headshot at frame #313. MPI got sloppy and screwed up--plain and simple! That's a shame considering the huge financial investment and meticulous attention to detail that went into producing this restoration.
So... are there only 6 total frames missing, or 9 (6+3) as this reviewer alleges?

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
So... are there only 6 total frames missing, or 9 (6+3) as this reviewer alleges?
There are only 6 frames missing. I just double-checked my DVD, and none of the frame-numbered versions of the film are missing any frames besides 155-156 and 208-211. Either that reviewer was wrong, or I purchased the DVD after it was corrected. (I bought it in late 1999.)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Just unearthed two more JFK titles (by documentary filmmaker Robert Drew) that are coming to DVD on November 11 (or October 28, depending on the source). ......
http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_listing.asp?productid=36027&format=DVD
I'd never heard of the "Primary" or the "Faces" films....so these will be of special (first-time) interest to a JFK video collector like myself.
BTW...DeepDiscount has these programs much cheaper than anybody else (currently). $13.27 ea.
I found a brief synopsis of the "Faces Of November" program......
"Robert Drew's third major film on Kennedy, "Faces of November", is a view of reactions to President Kennedy's funeral as reflected in the faces of participants and onlookers on November 22, 1963. "Faces of November" was the first film to win two first prizes at the Venice Film Festival in both theatrical and television categories.
The three Drew films on JFK are a history of his years from young senator to president to fallen hero, and the beginning of the history of Cinema Verite in America."

http://www.drewassociates.net/Main/verite.htm
NVG9563-03.jpg

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"The missing frames were lost forever very shortly after the assassination, when the film was mishandled and damaged by techs from LIFE magazine."

Actually, copies of the film were made before the mishap happened and so those frames still exist on the copies. Conspiracy author Josiah Thompson included stills of these frames in his 1967 book "Six Seconds In Dallas."

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
A question for Jack B. (or one of the other 2 people interested in this topic @ HTF :D) ..... I'm guessing you must have (being a JFK buff/fan) the "Men Who Killed Kennedy" 2-Disc DVD set.
There are supposedly a couple of "Gallery" features on that MWKK set that I cannot find on the discs at all. ..... "Gallery of Critical Documents" and "Gallery of Original Autopsy Photographs".
I'm nearly certain A&E products don't make us dig around their discs for buried Easter Eggs; so I guess they were just misadvertised as being included (on some websites).
Amazon is still showing these extras as being included on the initial February 2002 DVD release of the product. Curious.
Any idea?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks