What's new

I've got a spot on the screen! Help! (1 Viewer)

EugeneR

Second Unit
I don't know how it happened, but my RPTV has a little red spot in the middle of the screen. I have no idea where it came from. I did the manual focus on my Panny yesterday, and it looks like it happened after that--but what could it possibly be? I never touched the screen from the inside. Something on the back of the screen? Something on the front of the screen? It is less than 1/16" of an inch in diameter, but it is red and right in the middle, so it is driving me crazy. I've tried gentle cleaners on the front, no go. Any good cleaners that may be used on the screen?

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Eugene, is the spot round or elliptical? Spot is a common defect of CRT's. Some companies are willing to accept certain diameter of spots as good TV's. My advice is to make sure the spot is not a scratch or stain on the screen. If is not, then measure the diameter of the spot and call your store and explain them the situation. They should be able to repair your TV or replace it. Hope that helps.

Hugo

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Does the spot appear on a white background or black? If you put up Avia or VE gray or color fields do you see it?

On a white screen, does the spot appear red, magenta or yellow? If it's magenta, the problem is with the green CRT. If it's yellow, it's the blue CRT.

KJP

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Ok Eugene, try this: Bring up a complete white screen, like the one in AVIA or VE. Then, get into the service menu. Go to the option where you can cut the colors. Cut each color, and if you see the spot in every color, then there's something with your screen or mirror. If you can only see the spot in one color, then your CRT might have a spot, or you have a particle inside your coolant (the liquid between your CRT and lens) and adjusting the focus brought it up. Some particles don't show up depending on the focus of the lens. If you look into the lens you could see it.
Next step: If there's something with your screen or mirror (which I doubt) you could disassembly the screen and clean it, and so your mirror. If there's something with your CRT or particle in the coolant, you need to contact your dealer for warranty or manufacturer directly.

Jeff Detiege

Auditioning
Eugene,

Does the spot appear at all when the tv is off? Maybe something bounced off the screen. My RPTV had an impact to the screen protector which left a small line that glowed when the lights were off. The mark is barely noticable now, you have to look for it to see it.

EugeneR

Second Unit
I tried Hugo's advice, and the spot is still there with the color cutoffs, and the color of the spot remains the same. I can't see the spot with the tv off, but that is likely because it is so small. I think it is too small to be a projected image, it is about a millimiter in diameter. I believe it is simply a smudge on the front of the screen. The question remains, what can I use to try to wash it off without destroying the screen in the process? More advice, please.:)

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Eugene, try checking the site: panny.tv
I remember reading there once about a guy who had the same problem as you, I don't rememeber the outcome, but do a little research on that site and you might find the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks