What's new

Is there good Rap? (1 Viewer)

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Def Jux recommendation. I find some of the artists from that label to be some of the most thought provoking found anywhere in music today, my favorite being Aesop Rock.
Aesop Rock has a new album due out in September, Bazooka Tooth.

I'm a fan of Def Jux, but this year's releases haven't been as good as the past 2. I just picked up C-Rayz Walz today, haven't listened to it yet.

There's been a lot of great recommendations on this thread. Here's a few things I'd add:

MF Doom: Operation Doomsday
Dr. Octagon: Dr. Octagonacolgyst
King Geedorah: Take Me To Your Leader (my favorite album of the year so far)
Lootpack: Soundpieces - Da Antidote
Quasimoto: The Unseen
Gang Starr: Full Clip
A Tribe Called Quest: The Low End Theory
Atmosphere: The Lucy Ford EP's
Majesticons: Beauty Party
DJ Shadow: Endtroducing
People Under the Stairs: OST
Mix Master Mike: 30 Minute Massacre (white label release)
Nas: Illmatic
Jeru the Damaja: The Sun Rises in the East
Eric B. and Rakim: Paid in Full
DJ Krush: Kakusei

...that's off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll think of more.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
All the musicality that rap had went right out the window. Now it's all about a bunch of thugs "keepin it real" and dialing in a few backbeats.
Foolish comment. Tell that to Madlib, MF Doom, GM Grimm, Peanut Butter Wolf, Ant, Jay Dee, DJ Primo, the Neptunes, Kut Master Kurt, Cut Chemist, Numark, DJ Shadow, DJ Qbert, Rob Swift, Dan the Automator...

Those producers do a heck of a lot more than "dial in backbeats" Jeff.

And to quote De La Soul...they've tried keepin' it real - but you should try keeping it right.

Understand those microphone mathematics.

/De La Soul quote

george king

Supporting Actor
Interesting thread. I do not care for rap, but that is a matter of taste. However, Tony made a rather bold statement that no one has picked up on.

Essentially Tony said that the only interesting music (notice, he did not say rock, or country, but MUSIC), is being done in the rap/hip hop domain.

Do people really believe this?

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I agree to a certain extent. Hip hop/rap is VERY innovative, but I don't agree that it is the only innovative form of music.

Remember, the mainstream rap is not very innovative. You need to look to other groups that may or may not be popular, but are still great. As people have said, Jurassic 5, Outkast, The Roots, and N.E.R.D. are the best examples of innovative hip hop.

George, have you tried any of those bands that I have just mentioned? Seriously, check them out sometime.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Rap has become insane, it's an industry now. Like other music, rap has takes from the good, refines it, and makes something better. It evolves and changes with the times. However, in the music world, since it's like a baby, sometimes I wonder if it'll peak and collapse on itself. I've been listening to rap since a while after I was born (so, late 80's) and it's gone through so many changes. In my honest opinion, I've never been too much of a fan of Dirty South. I too have seen this topic beaten to death in the forums, but I'll feel free to throw in my 2 cents with any good recommendations. BTW, I must say I applaud those of you who are mature enough to not respond by saying something along the lines of: "Oh my god, that guy sucks, you suck, you're opinion is stupid!"

Recommendations:
Tupac
Biggie
Eminem (Anybody who honestly says he can't rap or has no talent, don't waste the HTF members time by stating that, just PM me and bother me, I'm free until school starts)
The Roots
Common
Mos Def
Talib Qweli
Jurassic 5
The Roots

george king

Supporting Actor
Tony,

I have heard a couple of those bands. I would not say that rap is not music, I do not particularly care for opera, but in both cases, I can see that they represent art in its varied forms. I would not deny someone the right to listen to it. I simply do not care too, nothing personal. And this is from a guy who grew up listening to, and who still listens to, a lot of motown (i grew up in detroit), blues and so forth.

I just think that there is a lot of innovative music going on in a variety of different genres. I do however agree with you that it is rarely found in the commerical mainstream.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Some of my favorites:

2Pac
NWA (Dre, Eazy, and Cube solo as well)
Three Six Mafia
8-Ball and MJG
UGK
Project Pat

Sean Dilly

Agent
being a huge fan of rap and hip-hop since the late 80's I dont understand when people label rap music as "not real music"..first of all, 95% of the rap you hear on the radio is not real rap. All that bling-bling gangsta mainstream crap mentality is not what I consider to be the true hip-hop. Thats the "pop-rap" thats only made to sell records and to be played in clubs. Some have mentioned great rap/hip-hop artists on here and they include groups and artists like:

-A Tribe Called Quest (personal favorite of mine)
-De La Soul
-The Roots
-Nas
-Mos Def
-Talib Kweli
-J Live
-Eminem
-Common
-2pac
-Blackalicious
-Dj Quik
-Madlib
-N.E.R.D/Neptunes
-Pete Rock and C.L
-Wu Tang Clan (older stuff)
-Gangstarr
-Wyclef
-Slick Rick
-Devin The Dude
-Outkast
-Dj Jazzy Jeff/Will Smith
-Ice Cube
-Aceyalone

There is a lot of great stuff out there folks! Just have to dig deeper and find it. These artists embody the true meaning of their art form and have substance rather than the crap you hear on the radio and then proceed to label all rap as being "not real music".

Sean Dilly

Agent
Jason K.....Didnt know anybody else on this board appreciated Madlib and Jay Dilla..two of the best producers living..cant wait for that Jaylib album. Dont sleep on Quik either...these are real musicians.

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting thread. I do not care for rap, but that is a matter of taste. However, Tony made a rather bold statement that no one has picked up on.
I didn't mean for it come across that rap is the only genre creating innovations, but I believe that these artists are the one pushing production techniques into the future.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big "indie-rock" (as much as I hate that term) fan, and there are definitely some interesting things going on below the mainstream radar (for those interested, look into the forthcoming album from The Rapture and a band called !!! [pronounced chk,chk,chk]). But I haven't heard anything as exciting as the new Outkast stuff from the world of rock music in a long, long time.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
And if you don't think Outkast is one of the most melodic, creative, infectious bands you've ever heard, then you aren't listening hard enough.
I'd agree, very infectious and melodic. Original would be a bold statement for those of us familiar with Funkadelic, Parliament, Prince, Sly Stone, Mother's Finest and EWF. They are though one of the most interesting creations around today.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
If anyone is a fan of rap, some really good new stuff is on the horizon for this year and beyond:

Big Gipp - Mutant Mind Frame
Neptunes - Clones
Nappy Roots - Wooden Leather
Beanie Sigal - The becoming
Outkast - Speakerboxx (2 CDs, one for Dre and one for Boi)
Dr Dre & Erick Sermon - Chairmen of the Board

And also, Tribe Called Quest has been laying down new tracks. They finally reunited and are trying to work out a deal with Jive to either leave the label or get a new deal.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
For what it attempts to do it is quite successful and effective. For anyone raised on more traditional music, it sounds like annoying dissonance.
THe thing is, *your* dad might have said the same thing about rock and roll ;>

My limited experience with rap is that there's creative, interesting stuff out there, and there's hackwork: just like other genres. I don't buy much rap, but there's lots of other genres I don't buy much of, either.

As for not taking the lyrics too literally as representations of the what the writers really believe and how they really behave, surely that's true of rock too... especially hard rock/metal.

Don Black

Screenwriter
The rap of the early 90s (80s was before my time) was much better than what's on the airways today (eg Warren G, Ice Cube, early Snoop). Eminem being the exception. I really wanted to hate Eminem when he emerged on the scene (anyone remember Vanilla Ice?)... But his lyrics and talent won me over.

I think the industry changed when Master P started flooding the market with cheap "gangsta rap" in the mid to late 90s. He made a mint doing it and everyone copied him.

george king

Supporting Actor
Steve,

I hate to do this, but I have to ask. How old are you?

You said not to take the lyrics seriously, because not even the hard rockers should be taken seriously.

The thing is, and part of the criticism of, the bands of the 60s and 70s is that they DID live their lyrics. Look at Ozzy these days. Granted a bunch of them cleaned up their acts, but a lot did not and they are dead as a result.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I loved early and mid 80s rap, especially Public Enemy but I was blown away when I heard N.W.A.'s flagship album.

I also think Dr. Dre's "The Chronic" is the Sgt Peppers of Rap albums and has influenced so much of what you hear today.

And of course Snoop's first solo album is classic.

Doug

JasonK

Supporting Actor
cant wait for that Jaylib album.
I've got the 12" single of The Red b/w The Official.
One word for The Red: Bangin'.

The full-length Jaylib drops mid-October, I can't wait.
Stones Throw has had a great year. Case in point:

Wildchild: Secondary Protocol
Dudley Perkins: A Lil' Light
Homeless Derelix: Fraudulent
Ahmad Miller: Ahmad's First

with these on the way...

Jaylib: Champion Sound
MF Doom + Madlib: Madvillain
Yesterday's New Quintet: Stevie (official release)
Charizma and Peanut Butter Wolf: Big Shots
Medaphoar: Untitled
Oh No!: Untitled

And I'll second you on:

J-Live: All of the Above
He just dropped a new ep - always has been, I just got it yesterday

Aceyalone: Accepted Eclectic
His new one Love/Hate disappointed me a bit, but the duo of Aceyalone and Abstract Rude as the A-Team was alright.

There's been a lot of good rap this year actually. I thought last year was great, but this year is shaping up to be even better.

Sean Dilly

Agent
^^

>wow, didnt know another YNQ album was coming this year, Madlib is everywhere. Madvillain will probably be the best album of the year by far imo. Ahmad Miller is one of the made up dudes on YNQ right?? If thats right, Madlib will be a big part of 4-5 albums in 2003.

>"the official" is probably my favorite track of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks