1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it "safe" to get on the Outlaw 950 list now?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Reda, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Well-Known Member

Since moving into the wonderful (yet somewhat expensive) world of separates, I've been looking into pre/pros. Much to my chagrin, I've found them to be oh so pricey which has led me to be satisfied with my Denon 3802. However, with the introduction of the Outlaw 950, it's a different ballgame.

My question is this, if I put my name on the list for the 950 now, do you think that all of the bugs will be worked out by the time I receive the unit (I realize that this is still months down the road)? In reading Outlaws FAQ, this unit will only retain it's $900 price tag for a few months and I want to take advantage of it soon.

Thanks!

2. Camp

Camp Well-Known Member

Yea, I'd say it's safe.

What will the price increase to? Anyone know?

3. Jim Prillaman

Jim Prillaman Well-Known Member

Based on an old newsletter, Outlaw doesn't plan to raise the price. From the newsletter:

4. Ron Reda

I based my question on this excerpt from the Outlaw web site, FAQ section on the 950:

5. Jim Prillaman

Jim Prillaman Well-Known Member

I know, and it's a very valid question. I'm just passing along a bit of newer information (I don't think the FAQ's been updated in a while) that might help you.

6. RAF

RAF Well-Known Member

With a 30 day in-home audition period with a money back guarantee (-shipping) it's always been "safe." But I understand your point.

Outlaw is not going to ship these units until the latest upgrades are fully tested (which should be soon.) It doesn't cost you anything other than time to put your name on a list.

My 2 cents.

7. Ron Reda

Jim,
    My bad...I didn't realize that the FAQs were that old! [​IMG]

8. brian a

brian a Well-Known Member

Are they doing new upgrades in addition to the bugfixes? Any idea what they are?

9. Bob_L

Bob_L Well-Known Member

According to a post elsewhere, one of the upgrades is apparently a faster auto-detect time for audio formats.

10. brian a

Very cool. That was one of the only knocks on the box. That's great news. I always hated the pop on my Ref 20 when it locked into a signal. I'm glad to hear that they were able to speed it up.

11. Ron Reda

Well, I'm now on the list! Come on 950...

12. Harley

Harley Well-Known Member

13. Martice

Martice Well-Known Member

As skeptical as I've been over the last months, in my search for a replacement for my current pre/pro all roads lead to two units the 950 and the 1066.

I almost have no alternative but to either pay more and get virtually the same offerings or wait to get one of the two above mentioned (hmmm...as I scratch my chin).

14. RAF

RAF Well-Known Member

15. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Well-Known Member

16. brian a

that is very cool. again, very impressed with the handling of that. It's nice to see that they are listening to the folks who are going to buy the product and working hard to give them what they want. i hope the estimated shipping date i get from the outlaws is good news.
    thanks for breaking another story for us RAF. [​IMG]

17. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Treavor, Brian, etal.: Yup, everything RAF has said is... OF COURSE, TRUE!

That means, video upconversion(composite to S-Video), very fast acquisition rate for both DVD and CD audio(NO missed notes), no dropouts... so far, nothing I can find with my latest 950 unit is bad. And, alot is better than what I heard and saw with the earlier beta1 950. If I hear or see something bad, I'll let you all know via this forum... in this thread. Stay Tuned!!!

18. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Well-Known Member

Thomas
    regarding the price, if they do raise it in the summer i do not ever see it going above $1000. the increase would be something moderate, like an extra $50 to bring the total to $950 (kind of appropriate, huh?).

19. Ron Reda

Outlaw seems like a really class act, so I'm looking forward to checking out one of their products. I'm pretty psyched to see what this unit can do. I'm trying hard to temper my expectations, but based on what I've read and continue to read, I find it difficult to not get anxious!

20. RAF

RAF Well-Known Member